View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Cortex Command - with dual monitors? 

Post Re: Cortex Command - with dual monitors?
I don't think it is a matter of completely removing the split screen functionality.

If there was an option to open each human player in a new window, you could have multiple windows. Good thing about this is that each individual window is re-sizable, so I could have full screen on both a 17" monitor and a 24" for example. It would be nice if each window could have its own resolution, but for multiplayer, it may be necessary to keep both windows to the same resolution to prevent unfair advantage.

Using a method like this will also allow people to have the two different windows on the same screen, side by side if they wish to do so.

/stops dreaming

Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:07 am

chris wrote:
I don't think it is a matter of completely removing the split screen functionality.

If there was an option to open each human player in a new window, you could have multiple windows. Good thing about this is that each individual window is re-sizable, so I could have full screen on both a 17" monitor and a 24" for example. It would be nice if each window could have its own resolution, but for multiplayer, it may be necessary to keep both windows to the same resolution to prevent unfair advantage.

Using a method like this will also allow people to have the two different windows on the same screen, side by side if they wish to do so.

/stops dreaming

Yeah stop dreaming and give me some sort of solution :V

Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Just put your monitors into mirror mode instead of extending the desktop then =D.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:54 pm

if resolution were the problem, why not set the monitors resolution to something like 640x240 (half of 640x480)
well, they don't go that low, but you get my drift. now that I think about it, Really all it needs is the height to be 1/3 width... don't know if there are settings for that though...

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:18 am

chris wrote:
Just put your monitors into mirror mode instead of extending the desktop then =D.

Good idea but then I can still see what he is doing.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:40 pm

metal chao wrote:
I don't know any games that work like that.
The answer is no.

Supreme Commander has a Dual-Monitor option... 1 for the game and the other one for the map...

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:40 pm

i just plug my laptop directly into the router (instead of wireless) send a remote assistance invite to my lap top, hook up the wireless mouse and play.

but projektODIN's idea is excellent as well.

but i have a better idea based of of his

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:10 am

damnit i was just about to say that. ><
edit settings.ini to have a much higher y res
maybe dont try to play fullscreen if that bugs (it shouldnt), just have a hugely tall window between the screens.
that would be supercool.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:51 am
Profile WWW

i posted a thread about this... Search doesn't work i swear.
I've been messing with it. it shuts down if you set the resolution to anything other than what's a preset. i've moved the monitor orientation around a number of times. it won't leave your main monitor no matter what. i'll keep trying. tell you if i get anywhere.

By the way...

settings are not in the game. go to your programs files>data Realms> cortex command

you'll find a number of settings you can change... been trying to add the depth the gold and rocks go down into the earth there. not working...

EDIT: in there, there is a settings file. in it it says

Code:
   HSplitScreen = 1
   VSplitScreen = 0

EDIT:
Set screen resolutions to how you like the game viewed. and the game resolution (files>data Realms> cortex command>base> settings) to about twice tall.

i do these;

2 player
left monitor (above main monitor needed)
800x600

Right monitor
800x600

Game
500x1000

4 player
game res: 770x1100

Picture:

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:27 am

Maybe you could just change the option in Settings.ini so it is Vertical Splitscreen,
and make the resolution in the Settings.ini twice as wide.

The only Uncertainly I can think of is if Cortex Command won't full screen between two monitors.

If it can't then you'll just have to settle with a 2x window, with double CC resolution width, and
the window is between the two monitors.

Oh, darnit, I do believe I've been beaten.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:42 pm
Profile WWW

Indeed sir you have.
Actually in that settings you can't do VSplit. it doesn't seem to work. so one has to be "above the other.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 am

Now that I see it, the "one above the other" method is a perfectly valid solution.

I was thinking of doing Vertical Splitscreen back in the days when you could.

This was back in Build 13. (Go here if you can't see it: http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/ ... p000-4.jpg )

Sorry for presenting my outdated opinion without checking first.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:33 am
Profile WWW

Been lurking this forum awhile, thought I'd jump in.

It really seems as if this should be feature of the game. I mean really, if there isn't even going to be LAN multiplayer, the least they could do is have some moderately good options for split screening. Being able to run two different players on two different screens, but off the same computer, is a totally rational and feasible way of doing this. Plenty of people have old monitors lying around their houses these days, especially now that so many are switching over from towers to laptops. Even if this isn't the case, rigging your TV up to be an extra monitor is a relatively simple task, and I think it's safe to say that just about everyone with a computer's got a TV.

This would be a really handy thing to do in Cortex Command. Unlike LAN or internet multiplayer, it would not require a ♥♥♥♥ ton of programming. How hard could it be to make the game open up in two windows?

Actually, that's a sincere question. How hard would that be?

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 am
Profile YIM
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Pretty damn hard if I know anything about Allegro. You can have it pop up in just about any resolution with good scaling code, but two entirely seperate windows would actually be remarkably difficult.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:38 pm

But at least, unlike lan or internet multiplayer, it would not require programming changes to the entire game.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:57 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next