View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Multiplayer Gameplay 

Post Multiplayer Gameplay
Well, I've played against a couple different people a couple different times (in CC, duh), and after awhile you realize the multiplayer always ends up being a war of attrition. Even without spamming suicide bombers, it seems as though 1 kill is almost always followed by 1 death (or/and vice-versa), despite fancy bunker arrangement and aerial maneuvering. It is merely, "who can has most golds lulz" then we bash waves of actors against each other until someone is out of money. Maybe its that we aren't creative, maybe it's just that we haven't played enough, maybe we just suck. I dunno. What are your thoughts on this?

I really hope they nerf the damage output of like, almost everything in the next build.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:08 am
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Multiplayer Gameplay
Perhaps this is a job for TC power. Wipe out all the stock items with buyable = 0 across the board and redo it with higher GibWoundLimits.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:24 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Keep in mind that the AI is kind of retarded, so playing against a human will almost certainly result in more kills.
Probably skirmish will be spiced up a bit in the future.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:27 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Still, I have to agree (and I've made the point in the past) that either all weapons need a nerf or all actors need a major buff.

Faceless clones aside, I find it hard to believe that we haven't invented any kind of halfway decent armor an indeterminate point into the future.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:29 am

I think it just might be that you haven't played it enough.

The armor in the game is not a far jump from how much protection armor offers in real life.

I've shot a sniper-round (Ronin sniper) at a Coalition troop's head, and it didn't kill him. Why? The helmet took the hit, and flew right off.
The next shot definitely killed him.

Armor for things like TANKS is meant to stop direct hits, and take repeated hits of such nature.
Armor for HUMANS is made to stop light ammunition, and afford you time to get to a safer situation.

If you're losing 1 troop for every 1 enemy you kill, and finding yourself constantly short on gold, I think it's an indicator that you may need a more tactical approach to combat.
Next time you play, try out these and tell me if it is any different:
-Give each of your actors at least 1 grenade of some variety; they are great since you can use they against your opponent without having line of sight, and means you can engage them without being shot at. Grenade launchers are also excellent weapons for this very reason.

-Never give a troop more than one gun; it's more effective to buy two troops with two guns than it is to buy one troop with two guns. He can only fire one gun at a time, and with your loss rate it would be a waste, and would provide the enemy with guns.

-In entryways and hallways in your bunker, use crawl-unders; they're a piece found in bunker bits, and they are excellent. If you combo this with a guard nearby it's an extremely effective defense. The time and effort they have to spend getting under lets you get the first shot at them, and they're in a vulnerable position.

-If you have an actor in a hallway or junction, place the door right behind them; You might think this isn't very good at first, because the door will be open all the time since they're right next to it. But that's exactly the idea: as soon as that guard dies, the door shuts, and buys you extra time while your enemy has to work through it.

-Don't use dropships, ever; they're expensive, huge targets, and they can only effectively deliver two, MAYBE three troops at a time. Either use the rockets since they are generally faster, or use the dropcrates if possible to conserve on gold.

-This is a lesson I learned the hard way from a friend of mine: NEVER have a missile silo (or any bunker part with an open-top) connected to your main bunker. It's an open door for enemy troops to come into, and it's extremely difficult to guard since they can just drop crafts filled with bombs directly inside of it.

Hopefully some of these things can save you some gold and losses!

Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:15 am

I follow all of those except for the crawl under thing (I use other types of barriers and cover, though). Cover does not stop your enemy. Weapons in this game are very accurate. Hell, even long range spraying kills guys behind cover, not to mention snipers.

Edit: Armour doesn't stop them either. M16 spray will own your face, be it riot shields, helmets, whatever.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:08 am

Contrary wrote:
Hell, even long range spraying kills guys behind cover, not to mention snipers.

Then use L-bends in combination with crawl-unders. That way they have to jump down into the meat-grinder!

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:55 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I personally try a different method, I use explosive charges more than grenades, just drop to place, and then activate, by gun fire, or another grenade.

And I use BW, it is that easy, just make sure to avoid the cone of fire.

And setting up a fortification nearby the bottom of an L-Bend, keeps them from firing until they have been blended, it is fun!

And Up-Down-Side T-Junctions are your friends too, since the AI is so retarded, they miss the side pathway, and it is a good idea to place an L-Bend below the T-Junction.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:09 am

I think I should make the dropship a bit more stronger...

Dropships provide excellent and reliable delivery/transport but they are rather unprotected. And those engines break off quite easily. I'll up those values a bit more.

I've already done some buffs for the crafts so they'd be a bit more resilient like a heavy vehicle made out of metal rather than a flying cardboard box.
Also which dropship do you guys prefer to use? The dummy one or the Mk1?
Explain why you the other one.

I've noticed myself that the dummy dropship has something fishy about it. It seems to be a bit more unreliable and sometime when its ordered, its thrusters are offline and the whole thing falls down.

I've also done a reasonable nerf on most of the weapons to make them be less powerful, but still cause damage. So far its looking good.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:20 am

I use the Drop Ship Mk.1 because its engines are stronger, meaning I can get it on and off the battlefield faster... though its weakness is somewhat useful when dropping units and having to go past enemy air defence. Essentially, you are buying an actor for the purpose of killing enemies, accepting the eventuality that it will probably die. Therefore you have traded gold for enemy kills; I sometimes just let them shoot me down if its tactically justifiable and won't make base entrance dodgy.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:56 pm
Profile WWW

I like the dummy dropship, the armor around the engines is tough.

but I just use the droppod because my player 2 controls are busted and wont fix.

EDIT: and numgun, while you're here, can you tell me if dropship doors have a homing device attached to them. because if one goes up, it WILL WITHOUT ANY DOUBT kill your actor. ive been killed my dropship doors while I was UNDER GROUND. ITS THAT FUDGING EVIL

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:11 pm

numgun wrote:
I think I should make the dropship a bit more stronger...

Dropships provide excellent and reliable delivery/transport but they are rather unprotected. And those engines break off quite easily. I'll up those values a bit more.

I've already done some buffs for the crafts so they'd be a bit more resilient like a heavy vehicle made out of metal rather than a flying cardboard box.
Also which dropship do you guys prefer to use? The dummy one or the Mk1?
Explain why you the other one.

I've noticed myself that the dummy dropship has something fishy about it. It seems to be a bit more unreliable and sometime when its ordered, its thrusters are offline and the whole thing falls down.

I've also done a reasonable nerf on most of the weapons to make them be less powerful, but still cause damage. So far its looking good.

Excellent! This is what i wanted to hear.

to tons0phun: Simply start firing your gun as you are falling so that you kill everything in the bend before the can respond.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:31 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Fyi, Shotguns, Snipers, and Explosive munitions are your friends.

And also, rockets are your friends, maneuverability, thrust power, impact threshold, are your best aspects for a great rocket.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:35 pm

I like drop ship Mk1s best. They're just so much fun when they get blown all to hell randomly.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:37 am

The guns shouldn't be nerfed - just repriced.

Metal, concrete, earth - all the structural stuff - needs a big buff, me thinks. I totally agree with OP - bunkers as are right now are pretty useless unless you're dealing with AI.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next