View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:34 am



Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT 
Author Message
REAL AMERICAN HERO
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:25 pm
Posts: 5655
Reply with quote
Post OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
LUA IS ALL WELL AND GOOD ALRIGHT, THAT'S COOL, YOU CAN DO COOL STUFF

GUESS WHAT, IT'S NOT LIKE LUA MODDING NERFED .INI MODDING. YOU CAN DO JUST AS MUCH WITH .INI MODDING AS YOU EVER COULD, IN FACT MORE, WE'VE GOT NEW VARIABLES. STOP THINKING EVERYTHING REQUIRES LUA.

You don't need ♥♥♥♥ lua to make breakwounds not do damage. You don't need lua to play a ♥♥♥♥ sound.

You don't NEED lua for ♥♥♥♥ ANYTHING, it's just useful to do something you normally couldn't. Scripts are just that, scripts; things that add functionality to a preexisting mod, not replacements for one.


Fri May 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Profile
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:53 pm
Posts: 1896
Location: in my little gay bunker
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Just my thoughts, someone even thought I needed Lua for making my dummy rocket launchers :\


Fri May 15, 2009 8:29 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:50 am
Posts: 1512
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
p3lb0x wrote:
Just my thoughts, someone even thought I needed Lua for making my dummy rocket launchers :\

Oh lawd, that's rich.

Yeah, Lua is clearly for going above and beyond the .ini's. Basically, the way to look at it is this: if you need variables to change dynamically, you'll need Lua. If not, you just need .ini's. And even if you need Lua, you still need a robust and well-written .ini for it to run off of.

Actually, looking at a couple recent mods, I was a bit disappointed with how lazy the .ini handling seemed to be. One mod has four separate things with different Lua functionality, but they all have the exact same graphics. Yeah, that's not confusing...


Fri May 15, 2009 8:55 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 am
Posts: 342
Location: Spathiwa
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
in fact most of the things that are done with lua in the game now were done before with scripts.


Fri May 15, 2009 10:06 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:12 pm
Posts: 1525
Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
That's because Lua is still Lua, attached to a scene or a module.


Fri May 15, 2009 10:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Flint Hills
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Grif wrote:
You don't NEED lua for fudge ANYTHING, it's just useful to do something you normally couldn't.

Contradictory.

But otherwise, yeah. .ini modding lives on stronger than ever, albeit eclipsed in attention by Lua. I don't know why anyone has thought otherwise.


Fri May 15, 2009 10:28 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:11 pm
Posts: 1492
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
I'm only going to use Lua for cheap tricks and such. I'll never be able to do complex stuff :(


Fri May 15, 2009 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:52 pm
Posts: 688
Location: California
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
I figured this out before the first build involving Lua was released, which was great for me, because I was terrified of Lua being too complex to learn as fast as I learned how to deal with .ini's.


Fri May 15, 2009 11:09 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 6:04 pm
Posts: 2901
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
zalo wrote:
I'm only going to use Lua for cheap tricks and such. I'll never be able to do complex stuff :(

I am glad because this is all that lua should be used for.


Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:55 pm
Posts: 1178
Location: America!
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Can your not-lua navigate terrain obstacles?

This works in theory:
http://lordtim.pastebin.com/f6c5aab81

Not in practice, because GetClosestActor doesn't work. Data did not change the float to a Lua number.


Sat May 16, 2009 2:06 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Flint Hills
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
metal chao wrote:
zalo wrote:
I'm only going to use Lua for cheap tricks and such. I'll never be able to do complex stuff :(

I am glad because this is all that lua should be used for.

I disagree.

Complex Lua is a great addition to CC possibilities and I encourage it entirely.
However I don't practice it myself because I don't know how to do it.


Sat May 16, 2009 2:18 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 1627
Location: Ohio
Reply with quote
Post Re: OFFICIAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Lord Tim wrote:
Can your not-lua navigate terrain obstacles?

This works in theory:
http://lordtim.pastebin.com/f6c5aab81

Not in practice, because GetClosestActor doesn't work. Data did not change the float to a Lua number.


I just mentioned simmilar in the thread about some weird targeting algorithm. Mentioned patsy's magic bullet from worms.

Azukki wrote:
Grif wrote:
You don't NEED lua for fudge ANYTHING, it's just useful to do something you normally couldn't.

Contradictory.

But otherwise, yeah. .ini modding lives on stronger than ever, albeit eclipsed in attention by Lua. I don't know why anyone has thought otherwise.


Oh I don't know that exact statement is what I've been screaming about on the forums all day.


Sat May 16, 2009 2:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.019s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]