View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Mod Contest 3 | Voting 

Which mod is best?
Poll ended at Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:12 am
Aerial Flamethrower.rte - Aerial Flamethrower 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Apollocalipse.rte - The Apollocalipse! 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
BoardingPod.rte - Boarding Pod 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
ComingOfGod.rte - Godly Descent 50%  50%  [ 32 ]
Destructo-Sphere.rte - Orb 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
DropRocket.rte - Drop Rocket 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
HArmorDS.rte - Heavy Armor Drop Ship 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Roller.rte - RotoRocket 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
TradeCrafts.rte - CraftsDwarf 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Zeppelin.rte - Zeppelin 19%  19%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 64

Mod Contest 3 | Voting 

Post Re: Mod Contest 3 | Voting
OH MY GOD!!!
Coming of God is soooo ♥♥♥♥ amazing!!!! :shock:

At first I was all like: ''Oh look, rain... That looks cool, I think i'll use that in my map.''
And then WHROOOMM!!! Meteors!
And then after some time, crazy ♥♥♥♥ happens and everyone die....
Epic win.
Not really a craft though, but still epic win.

10/10

I also liked the zeppelin.
It was very well made, although the sprites don't really fit into the whole CC 'theme'.
Still, nicely done.

8/10

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:36 am

Alright, good morning vietnam and here we go:

- Aerial Flamethrower: A very neat flying weapon. Since its based on a rocket, you cant spin it around too much without having it scuttle in your face, and thus restricting the flying even more.
I liked the sprite, but the controlling of this thing was tough. Not bad.

- Apollocalipse: Somewhat like the amrobotic's flying castle, this thing was quite incredible.
A giant turret suddenly appearing and legs popping out of the sides making it look like some sort of boss level unit with huge guns, tough armor and lots of badass.
However, there were lots of bugs such as the whole pod diving into the terrain all the way down to the bottom of the map, unresponsive controls for changing weapons and crashing sometimes which was a nasty let down. If this thing could be made more stable and function more solid by trying to simplify the functions and the movement of this thing somehow, it would be much better.

- Boarding Pod: Simple, but nice. Since this ship requires to do things that cause auto scuttle such as grinding on the terrain, going upside down and then pushing the rocket forcefully into the ground and such, it makes it a bit doubtful to use sometimes. The functionality and thruster balance work very well through, I personally like the sprite too.

- Godly Descent: God mode: on.

- Orb: Very pretty and easy to control. I would believe the most interesting way of play with this thing is with a friend where both you and your friend fly with these and do a cool vs. fight with the floating orbs. As for normal play, this thing is quite a doomsday device with its shield and the gun making it quite unstoppable if it were to fight vanilla CC style against guys with guns.
Visual representation is extremely nice looking. I love how it explodes with purple and black like it had an antimatter core or something.

- Drop rocket: Not too good. While its idea is clear that its supposed to be able to fly faster, it doesnt do that much compared to normal rockets and its turning rate is rather horrible.
The brainversion is quite doomed too. While its a cool idea, the autoscuttle will take out the brain faster than the first enemy will even reach the ground.

- Heavy Dropship: This is quite something. A detailed and well coded tough dropship.
While I like the idea of blinking lights on the sides of the ship, they are rather poorly made in my opinion.
They are large and last too long making the the whole ship look wierd when flying a bit faster.
The whole ship is well detailed in design and defenately strong as advertised, but the spriting is a bit pillow shaded and could use some more darker contrast in its colors. A very good and detailed dropship otherwise.

- RotoRocket: Pretty hilarious thing. I had fun time crushing people with this thing like a giant double sided paddle of iron. While its not able to fly really or transport any on field units, it certainly can deliver the ordered cargo right over the enemy base while bashing the ♥♥♥♥ out of everyone.
Could use some heavy balancing if this was intended for balanced play.

- Zeppelin: "Kirov airship, reporting."
Quite an epic thing and is balanced to be played against vanilla content. I dont like the sprites of the bombs though. Not only that, but they were pretty much the same as the coalition ones in vanilla content I made, could have been a bit different there. But the airship itself is very good looking and also includes full gibbing. Very nice, but could use better sprites on the bombs.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:34 pm

I want to address a problem here, you can agree or disagree with me but let's keep it a cool conversation.

The contest does says anything under the 'craft' category, but Godly descend is a super weapon while the others are delivery/bombing crafts. I'm not trying to despise a specific mod or user, but this contest brought out a problem: unspecific theme.

Basic criteria for comparing crafts are, for example, spriting, controllability and originality. How am I going to compare the heavy armor craft with Godly descend in terms of the above three criteria? One is a dropship with an escape pod while the other is the materialization of the wrath of God. You can't even compare the coding because they are used on two completely different things(I could be wrong on this). People are basically competing with mods of totally different genres right now.

So, next time, the theme of the contest should be more specific, I think. Perhaps 'crafts', then further instructions indicating constrains, and not just anything under crafts. Besides, constrains adds challenge to the contest.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:38 pm

I was under the impression that Duh encouraged judgement based on theme but allowed deviation anyway... I personally think what we have now works. It's Duh's decision... supposedly... well it's not my decision.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:05 pm
Profile WWW

One thing is for sure though.
God's Descent is crafty. kekekeke :lol:

Yeah its true that its not a craft in anyway, but its the mod I liked the most out of these.
EDIT: It reminds me of that old Genesis mod. I cant remember who did that, but it was similar to this.
minus the god part.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:09 pm
Banned

Praising Godly Descent for creative interpretation of the contest rules. Outside the box, people.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:14 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

411570N3 wrote:
I was under the impression that Duh encouraged judgement based on theme but allowed deviation anyway...

I've been relying on people to auto-correct for deviation with votes. It works kinda well, since a few people have said they refrained from voting on certain items because they didn't fit the theme, though not as well as a judging panel would I'm sure. But I don't want to have a judging panel, that only increases tensions.

The Decaying Soldat wrote:
I'm not trying to despise a specific mod or user, but this contest brought out a problem: unspecific theme.

This is more up to the theme picker than me. This time, the theme literally was "Anything that goes in the craft tab", so a lot of things could fit that would otherwise not.
I would suggest, to the winner of the Mod Fest and the winner of this contest, when it finishes, to develop a series of criteria that a mod must meet to meet the theme requirements. For example, for craft, something like:
-Under 1 screen in size
-Delivers orders safely
-Optional secondary function after delivery
That would fit a good 75% (or more) of the custom craft we had pre-contest, and still allows for great creativity. The criteria point you in the right direction but doesn't mandate that you must have a typical rocket/dropship style.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:18 pm

Duh102 wrote:
411570N3 wrote:
I was under the impression that Duh encouraged judgement based on theme but allowed deviation anyway...

I've been relying on people to auto-correct for deviation with votes. It works kinda well, since a few people have said they refrained from voting on certain items because they didn't fit the theme, though not as well as a judging panel would I'm sure. But I don't want to have a judging panel, that only increases tensions.

The Decaying Soldat wrote:
I'm not trying to despise a specific mod or user, but this contest brought out a problem: unspecific theme.

This is more up to the theme picker than me. This time, the theme literally was "Anything that goes in the craft tab", so a lot of things could fit that would otherwise not.
I would suggest, to the winner of the Mod Fest and the winner of this contest, when it finishes, to develop a series of criteria that a mod must meet to meet the theme requirements. For example, for craft, something like:
-Under 1 screen in size
-Delivers orders safely
-Optional secondary function after delivery
That would fit a good 75% (or more) of the custom craft we had pre-contest, and still allows for great creativity. The criteria point you in the right direction but doesn't mandate that you must have a typical rocket/dropship style.

This. The theme should have "sub-objectives" that the entries must demonstrate properly so that we have more specific criteria to grade upon. Like well Mod A did objective X well, but Mod D totally mastered the implementation of objective Z, etc.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:47 pm

Roto rocket was fun to use, but godly decent epic, funny, and effective. (It was epifuneffective!)

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Why do I have to say this again?

God's Decent had some code that would carry the person down after the end, but that code did not work on some maps/computers.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Hmm. I think I've discovered the problem with this contests. In this contest, and also in all the previous ones, one or two mods get 80% of all votes, and all the remaining competitors end up in draws, not because the same amount of people voted in each one, but because there were no remaining people to vote.
Something like: 1st place: 25 votes. 2nd place: 22 votes. 3rd place: 7 votes. See where I'm heading?

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Zalo, thanks for making that video. It was nice to see it without the horrible lag it causes on my failure of a computer.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:31 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
Hmm. I think I've discovered the problem with this contests. In this contest, and also in all the previous ones, one or two mods get 80% of all votes, and all the remaining competitors end up in draws, not because the same amount of people voted in each one, but because there were no remaining people to vote.
Something like: 1st place: 25 votes. 2nd place: 22 votes. 3rd place: 7 votes. See where I'm heading?

Yeah its true, got any suggestions to avoid leaving a large portion of modders in the dark?
The very thing is that people vote for they like the best whats the entries have to offer.
Suprisingly a mod that isnt a craft in any way, seems to be a clear winner already.
Mainly because it was very good.
The only way I can think of now is to have less entries per competion, have the entries seperated to groups that people would vote (a bit complex, I doubt anyone would go with this.).

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:45 pm

Man that CoG thing was amazing! I really liked the way it works with music, amazingly timed. Oh and the author is obvious (And Zalo's post makes it even more obvious). He needs to fix the brain killing thing.

Other mods were great too:
Zeppelin: Really awesome Hindenburg of doom, I suggest making gib into a burning ship, and when on the ground gib into the frame and stuff.
RotoRocket: Amazing concept very well executed. The gibing the actor though.
Apollocalipse: I really liked this one.
CraftsDwarf: Gave me a nice laugh, nice work with the values. I'd vote for this, but it ain't a craft...

Numgun > Maybe just give people more than one vote, I that would work.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

The brain being killed and the craft itself being dragged to the center doesn't happen to me. I'm guessing it is a problem with the mod using the same function for gravitation as Orbit Lands, and somehow Orbit Lands is overriding the function.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next