View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Suggestion: Swing arms while walking option 

Post Suggestion: Swing arms while walking option
It's been bothering me, I haven't noticed it for a while, but it did come to me. I've been finding it "wrong" that humanoid actors continue act as if they're holding a invisible gun. Why isn't arm swinging there?

I'm going to expect it to appear like this in the typical code for the actor's arms:

Code:
Hand = ContentFile
   FilePath = example.rte/handFG.bmp
MaxLength = 20
IdleOffset = Vector
      X = 0
      Y = 18
swingArms = 1            <Swinging arms while walking set to true>
swingRangeMin = -30   <Min angle in degrees>
swingRangeMax = 10   <Max angle in degrees>

It'll bring more life to unarmed AHuman actors that way. What do you guys think?

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:39 am

Post Re: Suggestion: Swing arms while walking option
It could be implemented as a WalkPath for the arm (like the arm climb/crawl path) so you can get different motions intead of just swinging.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:42 am

If it's going that way, should have a FG and BG SwingPath. Thus that way you could have a bobbing gun arm with another arm with a "normal" swinging arm movement.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:59 am

While we're on the subject, something I'd appreciate is the option for different sprites for facing left and right. I'd like to try asymmetrical character design, but the current system/perspective really hinders that.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:46 am

You could script that for the body sprite easily with Lua, and maybe not so easily for the head.

Some arm motions would be good, but I think one handed weapons should be used with both hands, when the other isn't busy with a 'shield'.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:54 am

My terms are going to be very off, because I don't know them, but...

I know it's possible to position the arms so the hands properly hold specific guns through ini editing. Isn't that just as possible for one-handed guns to accomodate both hands holding the gun?

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 am
Profile YIM

Azukki wrote:
You could script that for the body and head sprite easily with Lua
Arms and legs are impossible currently though. QQ

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:50 am
Profile WWW

I just wish CC didn't animate Arms/Legs to "move" them. Very clunky. I wish we had hardcoded Elbow/Knee joints for true ragdolls.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:42 am

I like the current limb system. it would be nice if the actors actually ragdolled and we could place knee/joint atomgroups though.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 am
Profile WWW

I would prefer a segmented limb system, if we could also get proper ragdolls from it.
The advantage of real ragdolls and attachable limb armor would outweigh the (usually boring/arduous) chance to extend the limb in some alternative way.

Just a guess, but I would say that good knee/elbow ragdolls with the current legs/arms would be really hard in comparison to segmented limbs.

And another guess, Data won't bother to improve ragdolls or the system for limb movement.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 am

Azukki wrote:
And another guess, Data won't bother to improve ragdolls or the system for limb movement.

At this point, definitely nope.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:14 am

Azukki wrote:
You could script that for the body sprite easily with Lua, and maybe not so easily for the head.

It's a rather entertaining mental image of a coalition soldier walking along, jamming his head up and down to the music.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:57 am
Profile YIM

I would definitely support segmented limbs. I was surprised the game didn't work that way in the first place when I first started modding. The simple fact that one could have proper limb armor would make it well worth it.

I've also thought about animated arms while moving, simply because I feel like my units look kinda funny when unarmed and are running so quickly, but their arms are motionless. I wish I could make them throw their arms back in a nice ninja run...

Honestly though, something really useful would be something I've requested directly in the past: the ability to re-define offsets on-the-fly with lua. Between that and switching out sprites, one could make some pretty neat animations, such as my units actually going into full-body animations for their melee attacks. Imagine my Oni actually gradually stepping back and bringing its fist back as you charge the punch, and then leaning and lurching forwards fist-first when you release it. If I could change offsets on the fly, I could combine that with the ability to change the torso sprite to make it all happen.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 pm
Profile YIM

Surely you could alter the IdleOffset for the ninja run, though I suppose that would make them look hilarious while standing around.
I wonder if you can redefine idleoffset with lua. you can do parentoffset, but i think that's from toattachable.. I wish ToArm() worked..

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:44 am
Profile WWW

Darlos9D wrote:
I would definitely support segmented limbs. I was surprised the game didn't work that way in the first place when I first started modding. The simple fact that one could have proper limb armor would make it well worth it.

I've also thought about animated arms while moving, simply because I feel like my units look kinda funny when unarmed and are running so quickly, but their arms are motionless. I wish I could make them throw their arms back in a nice ninja run...

Honestly though, something really useful would be something I've requested directly in the past: the ability to re-define offsets on-the-fly with lua. Between that and switching out sprites, one could make some pretty neat animations, such as my units actually going into full-body animations for their melee attacks. Imagine my Oni actually gradually stepping back and bringing its fist back as you charge the punch, and then leaning and lurching forwards fist-first when you release it. If I could change offsets on the fly, I could combine that with the ability to change the torso sprite to make it all happen.

Yeah, definitely something I've wanted for my actors as well. Would it be possible to scale an arm to 0 and attach an animated "arm" at the arm joint? I've tried racking my brain around ways to make cool fist motions for the Behemoth as well.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next