View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Gamepad, Cortex Command, and You. 

Do you play Cortex Command with a gamepad?
Yes, I always use a gamepad to play Cortex Command. 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Yes, when the mood strikes me. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Yes, but only when playing with friends. 33%  33%  [ 17 ]
No, even when playing with friends. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
No, I never use a gamepad to play Cortex Command. 42%  42%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 52

The Gamepad, Cortex Command, and You. 

Post Re: The Gamepad, Cortex Command, and You.
X Bawks 360 - Wired

Left analog for movement
Right analog for aiming - sharp aim is sensitive enough for 'you push farther over, it zooms farther'
Left and right shoulder buttons - Cycle through actors

Right trigger - Shoot
Left trigger - Pie Menue

I have 3 wired controllers, and if I have friends who will play, we do 3 V CPU, or we just *attempt* FFA, by only having 1 actor at a time, and just play forever. I did that for a good 5 hours non stop. it was a riot.

I can not do Keyboard/mouse or just keyboard because of bad circulation, and my desk, after about 30 minutes my hands and arms go numb, and they ache for several hours. i need 1 of those pads for my wrist to rest on. for TF2 and GMod I actually have to take breaks every 20 minutes or so because of my wrists, or just camp. For some reason I dont have this problem with just my mouse-hand.

Also Contrary, How the hell do you play with a guitar controller? explain this please.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 am
Profile YIM WWW

Green Red Yellow and Blue are directions, Orange is pie menu, Strum Down is fire, Strum up is jetpack. Select is like sharp aim or something but I never use it. Start is main menu.
It's actually pretty boring but the idea is pretty rad.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 am
Loose Canon

What does star power do?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:10 am
Profile WWW

and whammy bar?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:32 am

Uhhh... I actually can't remember. I change it around a lot. Probably something dumb. I think whammy bar is "back" and star power...? I'm not sure what I did with that. Probably nothing.

I lied, I actually don't use it all the time. I use mouse. :roll:

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:19 am

I'm a strict keyboard only player, but I recently stumbled upon a neat little app for the iPod Touch/iPhone called JumiGamer, which basically turns your iPod/iPhone into a gamepad.

It works via BlueTooth (So a BT receiver is required) and does pretty muh everything a regular gamepad does + accelerometer stuff.

Didn't get to test it yet though, having trouble making the goddamn thing actually run on my iPod (Keeps crashing). >_________>'

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Contrary wrote:
Uhhh... I actually can't remember. I change it around a lot. Probably something dumb. I think whammy bar is "back" and star power...? I'm not sure what I did with that. Probably nothing.

I lied, I actually don't use it all the time. I use mouse. :roll:

whammy for sharp aim, you could control how far it sharp-aims.

most guitars have a D-Pad.

the 360's X-Plorer has an extra tilt axis that isn't actually used, but registers. 100% is if its lying flat, and 50% is if its being held properly, laying it strum-bar down still gets 100%, but yeah, its along the axis that the neck runs along. I can think of no valid use for this other than if they made star-power a note like it was in Guitar-freaks, and then actually activate starpower by doing some kind of crotch-thrust.

but back on topic....

Most controllers have some sort of force-feedback IE rumble/shock. Any thoughts on needlessly adding this to CC as lua, just for the pointless nostalgia of it? I can make *some* files for force-feedback with FL-Studio (its called the fruity vibrator, and gee I wonder why they made it to sync with music :roll: ) but I have no way to test it.

I figure they could be named the same as an appropriate .wav/mp3/ogg and have lua set to check when sounds are loaded and look for a force-feedback file with the same name, and run both at once. then you could have rumble that matches the sounds.

Meh, that's a stupid idea.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:56 am
Profile YIM WWW

After playing with some friends, I found that the ps1-2 troller with the dual hats is the perfect way to play. Even base building is easy with it. I slaughtered them both with an autoshotty dummy :D.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:32 am

clOWN wrote:
After playing with some friends, I found that the ps1-2 troller with the dual hats is the perfect way to play. Even base building is easy with it. I slaughtered them both with an autoshotty dummy :D.

thats exactly like a 360 controller, the left thumbstick/hat just happens to be swapped with the DPad.

-edit
Woops, that might have been a necro, it was under new posts though T_T...

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Here is another example of how slowly the Gamepad traverses the map:

Say you're in build-mode and you go to the top of the map... (a tall map, such as Trading Center)
And you place a single Coalition soldier.

You cannot watch him impact the ground; after about 2 seconds he will fall faster than you can keep up with.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Oh sorry for the possible necro O_o. Anyways I have always done better with a dpad over tophat for movement on any 2d/platform game. aiming is very nice with right hat though.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I will be able to play 4-player with wireless 360 controllers if/when I get the xbox 360 wireless gaming reciver for windows. :roll: Microsoft just HAS to make you pay for every little thing...

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Does the gamepad have assigned numbers for lua actions? e.g. alternate fire/melee? e.g. A=1 Z=26 - do thumbstick and abxy (xb360) have number assignments?

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:12 am

You can map them.

But on the note, I think there needs to be greater gamepad support. We have like a million buttons, why not use more than one or two. A button for reloading, buttons for weapons change, stuff like that. Why use the clumsy pie menu when we have millions of buttons? D-pad for AI commands (for the future when they don't suck), square for reload, triangle for change weapons. Stuff like that.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:16 am

Me? I play with keyboard/mouse
2 players i use keyboard/mouse , he uses numpad+direction arrow keys
I find that annoying because in build mode, if he presses up, my thing goes up.etc
3 players :canadian: = 3rd player uses xbox wired which works just so much because everything is smooth
YAYEH :bow: :arrow: Xbox controller

User was warned for this post - Hey broskim, you really ought to not bump 7 month old topics with nothing to add - p3lb0x

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next