View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 CC Celebration Thread 

Post Re: CC Celebration Thread
CCS wrote:
This derail has gone on far enough.

Also, anyone here who has modded here and has displayed distaste for CC's results, know that its even more vile you should say something. With the time you have invested you (the player, modder, and person) have 3 important factors:

-You have enough knowledge to input into the engine what is missing for you and maybe others. On a game engine designed to fairly moddable in the regards that it can and would be missing something.

-You, in a less detailed fashion, have committed a similar planning time effort and patience to craft ideas and assets into reality via this engine as DataRealms has. So, by that alone, you show at least have a compassion. It would be wrong for anyone to consistent bother you of your work's shortcomings. Just as wrong to decry the innocent attention of the player because they are not keen on your work.

-An acceptance that you chose CC as a platform for enjoyment for all that it is - satisfactory or not. IF anywhere CC fell short, your obligated to yourself to stop playing and spent quality time elsewhere

Vile? xD Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you.
I have every damn right to be disappointed in the game's current state. Even MORE than non-modders. I have sacrificed a LOT of my time to create content for this game, back when the game was following a path that I liked. If the dev suddenly decides to derive from this path then the modder has every right to feel like his work has been done for nothing, much like I feel now.
The game changed a LOT in the last two builds, and in my opinion the changes completely changed CC's soul.

- No, I DO NOT have enough knowledge to input into the engine what is missing for me. I am an average modder. I can't do magic. Furthermore, most changes that are hated by me are HARDCODED.

- Compassion? I LOVE Cortex Command. That's why it's so damn frustrating to see that the game is 'out of beta' but still a total mess. I love the game more than you do and have done for a very long time. I, sir, can damn well guarantee that.

- Acceptance? So you're saying people have no right to complain? Who the hell do you think you are? The pope?
This is a forum. You can't expect to create a thread to undeservingly praise some developer all the way into the skies, inflating his ego like a hot air balloon, and not have negative feedback on it. Welcome to the internet.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:35 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I understand why Gotcha's a bit angry (understatement? understatement.), and I agree with him on some points.
But I think everyone should chill the ♥♥♥♥ out and stop being so angry all the time.

I, for one, just have multiple installations of CC, and they're all modded to serve different purposes.
The main installation I have on Steam is for SRS BSNS metagame and skirmish defense, one is for messing around with ridiculously overpowered actors and weapons (shook, i love you) and one is optimized for maximum fun with weegee's many, many missions.
The bugs with the game engine do irk me at times, but most of the time I don't experience them and they're not stopping me from having a great time with the game, so I don't really need to rant about those.
I don't like what Data did with the newest build, calling it finished and releasing on Steam and all. It still should be a beta build. But I don't really care, as long as I can keep having fun with the game. It could use some new content and bug-fixing and general polishing, but eh, it's good enough for me as it is.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:30 pm

@Gotcha:
A few things.

"Compassion?, I LOVE Cortex Command." -> thread in a nutshell. Thank you for that. Being vocal and attentive is what changes life for the better.

" Acceptance? So you're saying people have no right to complain? Who the hell do you think you are? The pope?(1)
This is a forum. You can't expect to create a thread to undeservingly praise some developer all the way into the skies"(2)

I say justly the same to you. If you felt submissive to my suggestion (yes, that was a suggestion - its funny how people like to step all over such things and corrupt the notion)
its not on me, you applied that feeling yourself - on a slate that didn't even mean such a woe. And no, I'm an open-hearted and mannered person who is supportive - this is what I know I am. Please withhold such presumptions (1)
And Nothing, at the core of discussion, is expected - I would not be making long replies, more about people's feelings than the OP itself, if I expected all post be honest and u n d e r s t a n d i n g golf claps.(2)

More importantly I do understand and empathize with you and the modders the most (even if you don't believe), but I also empathize with the developers. You have a heart as well as a choice. I love that you put effort and stuck by. But this gaming relationship is not an investments of rewards. Its foolish to agree with a notion of one who builds on a broken foundation, knowing the castle will crumble or hoping someone will change the faults in time

Celebrations are for also wrapping something up and accepting the result of your labor. AND this words of mine are said with a weighted heart, I KNOW WELL OF CC'S SHORTCOMINGS, LACKING, AND INCONSISTENCIES. I know the sufferings too. Yet I'm wise to myself not to play a game for what is broken, I play something else. OR I do something about it, I set the game up for success. The supportive must endure and make the best of each opportunity. Give up if this not you, there is no shame in that

My concern here is when the choice is WILLFUL and get mad afterward(1). You have other threads to discuss this in, you don't have to do it here (again, a choice). Especially in a thread entitled so. That's just an act of conceit and irresponsibility, have manners and not put your feelings above others. AGAIN, you cannot fault or blame others for a something you solely decide.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 am

To be honest i think the modder's have a right to be angry because "data" receives money for this, fairly unfinished, product so his efforts are directly rewarded. Considering the vast majority of "tips" on how to enjoy this product rely quite heavily on their mods they have a right to feel a bit left out in the cold. Look at the A.I fix mod, the game was practically a target practice sandbox till i got that.

I'm not saying the game is terrible but it has massive problems especially on mac. Its unstable and worst of all there is minimal communication between the developer and the buyers. To release that on an official platform like steam as a finished game is kind of misleading and smells of a cash in and run situation. If this game had some serious muscle behind its development in one month the game would at least be stable, as it stands it wouldn't even get through microsoft's cert testing.

I love it and some of my friends love it too but honesty none of them have or will buy it, literally because they think its not finished. Every one of them would buy it if they knew, or were assured, that it would stabilise and develop its campaign/ meta game.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:20 am

I would like to congratulate Data on another milestone! Cortex Command is a very fun game to play, I have enjoyed it much more than most AAA I have bought in the last couple of years, and even if Data stopped developing it, I would still have tons of fun with it; I would be disappointed because the game has so much pure Awesomnium potential with engine bugs/incompleteness holding it in place, but I've read the disclaimer when buying the license to the game, and much fun was had anyways.

I personally think that the current build should be labelled b28 rather than 1.0 for a couple of reasons. Selling the game on Steam might be misleading... there are still some pretty big, obvious holes in the game. The lack of simulated AI fights (and golddigging to some extent), the lack of a round limiter of some sort, lack of orbital bombardment (and other advanced assault options), easily broken win conditions; these all are obvious holes in the game.

I do like most of the changes with this new build. The Techion faction is rather interesting and unique, even though some of their weapons are underpowered (looking at you Laser Helix Thingie)*. Imperatus is nicely fleshed out. Drop crate variation makes it less of an effective tool for bombardment. AA turrets are a good way to prevent dropship cheese (although the debris might still take out the brain... maybe the should have some sort of kinetic field as well?) I always thought of brain-limiting deployment as a band-aid fix, and the game is that much closer to not needing it. The brain resource mechanic seems kinda broken, but it's good for presenting choices to the player. So keep up the good work Data!

*A new faction might be nothing exciting to people using mods, but personally I hesitate to use most "new faction" mods. Not a fan of pre-equipped actors, but it seems to me that most modders, despite their awesome skills, don't understand the concept of "less is more". Each vanilla faction feels like they fit into the game, and their limited actors, tools and guns make them have a much stronger personality IMHO.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Dasick wrote:

*A new faction might be nothing exciting to people using mods, but personally I hesitate to use most "new faction" mods. Not a fan of pre-equipped actors, but it seems to me that most modders, despite their awesome skills, don't understand the concept of "less is more". Each vanilla faction feels like they fit into the game, and their limited actors, tools and guns make them have a much stronger personality IMHO.

I agree here definitely. The mulaak faction is the best for me because its balanced to fit in. Try that one, it feels like an official expansion more than a mod.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Dasick wrote:
but it seems to me that most modders, despite their awesome skills, don't understand the concept of "less is more".

Whether i have awesome skills is highly debatable, but i do in fact not really understand that concept fully. Sure, a few highly distinct items of super good quality is better than a shitload of sub-par things with similar functionality, but i'm the kind of guy who wants MANY distinct guns to fill out all the niches i can think of, be it "kill that guy", "kill the whole goddamn planet a million times" or "this place needs more exploding tuna". I'm also of the opinion that if you can't find a niche that needs filling, you're not thinking hard enough (or perhaps you're just satisfied with your current arsenal??).

BUT I DIGRESS, each to his own. Hell if i'm going to tell others how they're supposed to have fun. In the actual spirit of the thread, i'll say that despite 1.0 still feeling beta'ish, Data has a lot to be proud of. Working on the same project for 11 years takes SERIOUS commitment, and has resulted in something that is probably among the most extensively moddable games on the market without it being a dedicated game engine. I personally don't really play the campaign, but the modding alone has brought me many hours of entertainment, and likewise has dicking around in skirmish with the creations of others. In fact, i'd go so far as to say that a sandbox game that remains interesting for YEARS is a job pretty damn well done. So yeah, congratulations, Data! c:

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

I gotta agree that this release version isn't exactly what it propably should have been. It's quite obvious that Data wanted to get the weight of 11 years of developement off his chest, which is totally understandable. The platform delivers a lot of fun at it's current state, but it feels something is missing. I hope Data won't stop here, and gives this game to have the chance to get the content it needs. And the chance to really become a game for larger audinces (more money), 'cos in my opinion, this game deserves it.

tl;dr: Same as most in here, gj Data, don't stop here!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4