View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 CC Celebration Thread 
Banned

Post Re: CC Celebration Thread
Screw you miggles I never claimed to be popular

Just the arbiter of the dumb and lame

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Tr i u m ph!

I worry. Then again, I've also noticed that most people like it, as I've seen heaps of videos and positive feedback, but the flamers aren't helping.

As someone (too lazy to find it) said on the last page, a story of some kind (like First Signs) would be awesome.
And I'm sort of sick of people saying "Just play one of the mod campaigns!" because it's not the game then, and for some reason it just doesn't feel the same as playing through scenes like first signs (which was awesomely scripted and thought out).
I'd love to see some sort of addition to the maps we have, and maybe a story mode. (?)

Then again, I expect nothing, I love the game as it is, as long as it stays at least as awesome as it is I'm happy.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:21 am

If not a storyline then maybe some long string of related missions like the crab cave or manigot mission.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:03 am
Banned

Or maybe campaign meta and gameplay that actually plays like a game.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:48 am

All I want is for it to run better. It currently chugs really hard, and that makes me sad.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:02 am

Benpasko wrote:
All I want is for it to run better. It currently chugs really hard, and that makes me sad.

Meh, on the bright side it is a bit faster then B27 was, optimizations have clearly been made because my computer no longer cries on zombie cave.... my computer that can handle 4v4 Starcraft 2 matches.... my computer that can handle Planetside 2...
2D voxel physics are a tad bit laggy sometimes.

However I must say I'll take the high spec requirements in return for a game as fun as Cortex Command has been for me.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:15 am

Nice that the thread is being used for a congratulatory thanks but please save off-topics for the plentiful threads on DRFF. Do note that is area is meant for thanks ONLY. It would be sad to lock it for the thanks already given. Mods please notice :smile:

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:53 am

CCS wrote:
Do note that is area is meant for thanks ONLY.

Oh really? Well, okay then. Data, thanks for nothing!

Thanks have been given. Completely ontopic. *thumbs up*

Now if people can stop pretending now like the game's all finished and running fine and stop praising data into the skies then maybe data's ego will deflate a little so that he might feel the obligation to create a proper release.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Gotcha! wrote:
CCS wrote:
Do note that is area is meant for thanks ONLY.

Oh really? Well, okay then. Data, thanks for nothing!

Thanks have been given. Completely ontopic. *thumbs up*

Now if people can stop pretending now like the game's all finished and running fine and stop praising data into the skies then maybe data's ego will deflate a little so that he might feel the obligation to create a proper release.

Have you ever worked on a game for 11 years? Or better put have you worked on a game at all? People can put in those extra details because they are modders, they focus on that. Its like building a house and then decorating it, however this house is insanely complex to build. Once you have tried to achieve what he has and actually see the amount of effort that it takes to complete a project like this I can assure you, your ego will deflate. :)

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 pm
Forum Moderator

Bombzero wrote:
Benpasko wrote:

Meh, on the bright side it is a bit faster then B27 was, optimizations have clearly been made because my computer no longer cries on zombie cave.... my computer that can handle 4v4 Starcraft 2 matches.... my computer that can handle Planetside 2...
2D voxel physics are a tad bit laggy sometimes.

However I must say I'll take the high spec requirements in return for a game as fun as Cortex Command has been for me.

Voxel basically means volumeric pixel. So pixel physics is probably a better word for what CC does.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Cybernetic wrote:

Have you ever worked on a game for 11 years? Or better put have you worked on a game at all? People can put in those extra details because they are modders, they focus on that. Its like building a house and then decorating it, however this house is insanely complex to build. Once you have tried to achieve what he has and actually see the amount of effort that it takes to complete a project like this I can assure you, your ego will deflate. :)

It's not Gotcha's ego, it's being rightfully disappointed. The game improves at a glacier-like pace, which pisses a lot of people off. And yes, making a game is hard work, but that doesn't mean that we're not allowed to be disappointed in it. Being a fanboy helps no one. I'm sure someone worked hard on Superman 64 at some point, too.

Gotcha! wrote:

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm

I never said that one shouldn't be disappointed but I am saying chill, its really hard work, something you will never understand if you haven't made games yourself. Believe me, its no walk in the park getting everything perfect, especially when the game is based on such a complex system. Furthermore, whether its perfect or not matters not because i can just make a game that will satisfy my needs. trolll bye modders hahahaahahaha. (Oh the hate that's about to follow...)

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:20 pm

I don't think perfection or the desire for it is the issue here. Gotcha's complaint and likely that of all the disappointed is that the game has been called 1.0 but is nowhere near complete.

• It contains numerous bugs (with the game engine, rather than content or ai which isn't data's department) that have been known for ages and reported time and time again but still haven't been fixed. I shouldn't have to add that some of these bugs can be quite crippling to gameplay or modding. Several of the lua hook functions don't work at all and there are some areas which are lacking in lua functions that would solve a lot of problems.
  • It's still not particularly well optimized, though I'll admit I have no idea how much it can be optimized so I can't rightfully complain about that.
  • The metagame itself still feels incomplete, it is severely lacking in features. Though it's limited because of the limitations of the game's lua weegee's Unmapped Lands 2 provides a far richer and deeper metagame experience and it contains far fewer exploits too.
  • As well, aside from engine problems, the ai needs and is being given work (I should add that it's also being hindered by some engine problems). While I have no doubt that when it's truly finished Abdul's ai will be problem free, it's not truly finished at the moment.
  • Finally, content wise the game feels pretty incomplete (though to my surprise I've not seen much mention of this so maybe I'm alone in this opinion). Only one faction has unique dropships, only two factions have crabs or turrets, Dummies and Coa have no real heavy troop, the shields tab is still essentially a joke, many of arne's wonderful designs still go unused, etc. While the weapons are, for the most part, well fleshed out, everything else is not. I don't think every faction should be equal in all respects but all the factions need a good deal more fleshing out to keep atmosphere, as is they still feel kind of bare bones.
  • Also I have a feeling a fair few people would have liked a real scripted campaign (I know I would have) as well as or instead of the metagame, because let's face it, the metagame is just a series of skirmishes with a bit of interconnectedness. This, I should add, is something the content devs could create more or less entirely without data's intercession and something that, if it doesn't happen officially and when I finally get the time and clear my plate of other things, I'd like to make.

In short, what people are upset is with the fact that this should probably have been labelled as B28 instead of V1.0. While I am genuinely happy data and for the joy I imagine he must feel at having finished this project of 11 years and while I do want to congratulate him for what ultimately amounts to many hours of effort, I think it was ultimately a poor decision to call this the official version 1.0 release.

(I'm sure I rambled and I know I sort of switched arguments near the end, sorry to everyone who reads this for any confusion or irritation that may cause. In my defense, I'm running on about 2 hours of sleep in the past 32 hours.)

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 pm

@Cybernetic: You can fanboy all you like. Fact remains: This release should be labeled B28, not 1.0 and should never be released on Steam in its current state.

Also, maybe I misunderstood, but telling me I have a large ego is like hammering a gong with a wet sausage.

I don't whine about the current state of the game because of ego (sheesh, I consider myself pretty modest), I whine about the current state of the game because data considers it done. If you are expecting a lot of updates for this game, keep dreaming.

I whine because many game changes ruined the game for me (no friendly fire, super human AI etc) and the mods I made for this game feel like a huge waste of time now. It's like I created a bunch of traincarts for data's railroad and he suddenly decided to separate the railtracks 5 more inches.

Really, I love Cortex Command, why else would I have created so much content for it? But instead of making her (CC) a proper dress data dressed her up like a ten dollar ladylike and kicked her out on the street. "I'm done with you. Time to make some money, doll!"

And seeing all these fanboys prancing around, being so enthousiastic about an incomplete buggy product will only reinforce data's mind to not bother with this game anymore. Why would he? If enough people celebrate about how the game is 'done' then he can proudly state that his half-arsed game is done because his zealous community says so.

/endrage

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:08 am

Cybernetic wrote:
I never said that one shouldn't be disappointed but I am saying chill, its really hard work, something you will never understand if you haven't made games yourself. Believe me, its no walk in the park getting everything perfect, especially when the game is based on such a complex system. Furthermore, whether its perfect or not matters not because i can just make a game that will satisfy my needs. trolll bye modders hahahaahahaha. (Oh the hate that's about to follow...)

If I may inject myself in this conversation, stop being a jackass, yes making the game is hard, but it isn't make-people-wait-eleven-years-for-a-half-baked-release hard, for gods sake Gotchas! Unitec mod adds almost if not more content to CC then the game has, and he didn't work eleven years on it, where is Data's excuse?

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next