View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Suggestion - Bring back brain location limited drop zones 

Post Suggestion - Bring back brain location limited drop zones
Just a small suggestion at least for the campaign map. A few versions ago, the drop zone was limited to where your brain was. For defenders in the campaign map this should be so. It's far too easy to lose a brain due to a drop ship spawning right above you and having it's debris come crashing down on you. The AI sometimes does this, and players have no incentive not to do it when we have a big free for all going.

Coming in on your base and trying to fly over would be a bit different, as the AA drone could probably destroy the craft before it gets close enough to just kill everything with debris.

Thoughts on this?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Post Re: Suggestion - Bring back brain location limited drop zones
Makes it even easier for defenders; if the attacking AI can't land outside a small area, like in B27, then the defender can just set up and expect the enemy to keep dropping in that narrow zone, providing an easy way to kill reinforcements, almost endlessly.

In B27, it meant that a serious player could simply set up shop and then go gold-dig the rest of the scenario.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:31 pm

I would like to see something where you can only drop on top of any of your units. I think brain is too limited, but perhaps if you can only drop in an area if there has been a still standing unit for thirty seconds or something it would work out better.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Then how about only defending players are restricted to this? Defenders already get a massive advantage by having their brain in a super safe location anyways. Attacking players could come in at any point.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:57 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

LZ over brain unless landing pad bunker module is placed?

I mean, could work and would possibly be feasible.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Good idea, but you would have to make sure that the landing pad has direct access to space. Almost the same way that the brain currently does it, just with a straight line going up. It would prevent craftly players from just placing a series of landing pads deep underground, all in a row, allowing them free reign over the entire map.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:04 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Would be a limit on how many you could place. Two or three.

And yeah, free airspace upwards would be a neccessity.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:06 pm
Banned

xenoargh wrote:
Makes it even easier for defenders; if the attacking AI can't land outside a small area, like in B27, then the defender can just set up and expect the enemy to keep dropping in that narrow zone, providing an easy way to kill reinforcements, almost endlessly.

In B27, it meant that a serious player could simply set up shop and then go gold-dig the rest of the scenario.

That's what mortars are for

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:46 pm
Banned

I just delivered a crate directly onto my brain, and I'm pretty upset about that

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 am

Crow wrote:
I just delivered a crate directly onto my brain, and I'm pretty upset about that

Maybe you needed good jolt in the head if you do something stupid as that. :-P

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:52 am

He might be referring to the fact that drop crates now have a randomized drop pattern, placing them around the general area where you wanted instead of directly.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:53 am
Banned

Oh ♥♥♥♥ really? That must be what happened! God damn it!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:04 am

Harzipan wrote:
He might be referring to the fact that drop crates now have a randomized drop pattern, placing them around the general area where you wanted instead of directly.

Actually it is not as randomized as you'd think. while the direction might be randomized it always is sent to left or right with X (always same) force. so if you want it to dodge some unit (brain in this case) just drop it directly on him and it won't get crushed. the distance of course depends on how far from the highest point it is going to land.

Though I admit that after they fix the LZ issue they should change the crate drop back to normal so you can have bit more precision with it.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:05 am

whitebear wrote:
Actually it is not as randomized as you'd think. while the direction might be randomized it always is sent to left or right with X (always same) force. so if you want it to dodge some unit (brain in this case) just drop it directly on him and it won't get crushed. the distance of course depends on how far from the highest point it is going to land.
No, it is randomized. If you look at the script on the dropcrate it does: self.Vel = Vector(math.random(2, 5), 20), which means that the left/right speed (when it's spawned only, after that it just falls with momentum) varies from 2 to 5 in whichever direction it picks (with a 50/50 chance). I can never remember what velocity converts to in terms of pixels, but 1 might be 20 pixels per second, in which case this would be between 40 and 200. Don't trust me on that though cause that seems pretty high to me.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:46 am

Bad Boy wrote:
whitebear wrote:
No, it is randomized. If you look at the script on the dropcrate it does: self.Vel = Vector(math.random(2, 5), 20), which means that the left/right speed (when it's spawned only, after that it just falls with momentum) varies from 2 to 5 in whichever direction it picks (with a 50/50 chance). I can never remember what velocity converts to in terms of pixels, but 1 might be 20 pixels per second, in which case this would be between 40 and 200. Don't trust me on that though cause that seems pretty high to me.

As an interesting aside, this does still imply it will never land directly where it was targeted. making Whitebear's base point still valid =p

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next