View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Fullscreen renders 1 frame and then freezes 

Post Fullscreen renders 1 frame and then freezes
I bought Cortex on Steam, i can play it fine windowed but when I hit alt-enter to fullscreen, it only shows up 1 frame of the game's loadscreen and nothing moves even as the sound plays, if i go back to windowed mode it runs fine, but when I alt enter again, it freezes on a single frame again. It can't refresh itself when it's fullscreened for some reason, regardless of the resolution, so i can't even interact with anything in the game unless i'm playing in a window. I'm on Windows

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Is there a solution?

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:05 am

Post Re: Fullscreen renders 1 frame and then freezes
No one else is having this problem? I can't fullscreen this game at any resolution and it sucks, i would seriously appreciate some help.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Try first setting the resolution from the options as your desktop resolution and then pressing alt-enter.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:10 pm

That did not work, now the screen usually just goes black if I set it at the desired resolution of 1920x1080 and then fullscreen it.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:24 pm

You're not alone. I get this problem too. I've tried editing settings files, several different combinations of resolution and full screen mode, all with no luck. I get a single rendered frame (or a black screen), in the background sound effects still play.

I've given up and play in windowed mode (I have to abandon campaigns where gold sites appear off-screen).

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:19 pm

I thought a follow up on my last post was worthwhile based on another day of tweaking.

My problem looks like its an issue with my particular laptop setup (intel graphics inboard and discrete nvidia). I can't (won't) make the recommended BIOS change to play one game though, so that's my lot until someone figures out a workaround.

I've experimented with a number of different setting file tweaks to make the game more playable too. I'd forgotten how much of this we all used to have to do! I've got a comment (that could be argued as a bug, and I may post it to the bug thread).

Setting a windowed resolution has some 'issues' as mentioned elsewhere in this forum. You can't pick (on my system anyway) a window size that is the same size as your desktop res. This makes sense when you delve into the technicalities of it (window borders and title bar get added, not subtracted from that value). When you're conditioned to picking a size and having it work it's confusing and a fair number of more casual gamers are unlikely to dig around and find out why.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]