View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Campaign fun, and which faction do you use and why? 

Which vanilla faction do you use in Campaign?
Ronin 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Coalition 32%  32%  [ 18 ]
Dummy 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Imperatus 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Browncoat 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Techion 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 57

Campaign fun, and which faction do you use and why? 

Post Re: Campaign fun, and which faction do you use and why?
Imperatus feel like they are lacking anything quick. They have plenty of heavy stuff, but doing anything fast is beyond them. It is easy to kill them if you jump in close with a shotgun or spray them with an assault rifle and then duck below cover before they fire back. They are very strong at some things, but they just are not well rounded enough to stand up in a serious fight to any faction that can field highly mobile units.

Dummys are silly, they are strong at CQB since they have short range high damage weapons, but they lack any kind of durability or weapons that can do real damage at long range. The dreadnaught is just too clunky to cross any sort of terrain. Everyone just slaughters them.

Browncoats and coalition are strong, they have all their bases covered, browncoat lacks missiles, but doesn't seem to need them since their basic rifle kicks like a mule. I always end up using one of them if I am not using a mod faction.

Ronin, seem like they should be strong, but their actual troops are so flimsy that they can't make effective use of their weapons. A couple of coalition light with sniper rifles can massacare them.

Techion feel weird. I avoid them. I just can't get into them for some reason. Don't like fighting as them or against them.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:02 am
Banned

Hey I have a question: does anyone like the new Coalition sprites more than the old ones? Personally I don't. I use the old ones. They have a better feel imo.

I know there was some kind of art-driven sprite proportion change, and I don't really know anything about it, but from what I can tell it wasn't an improvement

Not really meant to be criticism, I'm just confused or something

I bring this up only because I always forget about it and when I see a screen shot with COA soldiers, I'm like "what is this??"

PS isn't my avatar cool?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I never noticed a sprite change, derp. Yes, your pic is cool. impo, I think it looks better without the blood, just sayin.

@Cerevox, none of the Factions are well rounded, each has some weakness so counterattacking is possible. I agree with most of your faction descriptions though. Dummy and Coalition are best for base defense in my opinion. I can make a death chamber in my base with a combination of Dreadnaughts, LMG Turrets and dummies with destroyer cannons, or heavy Coalition soldiers. I agree that they aren't really good for offense, snipers can take them out quickly.

if you put ronin in groups, they work better. They do very well with cover and explosive weapons and have great offense and mobility.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:43 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Crow wrote:
Hey I have a question: does anyone like the new Coalition sprites more than the old ones? Personally I don't. I use the old ones. They have a better feel imo.

I know there was some kind of art-driven sprite proportion change, and I don't really know anything about it, but from what I can tell it wasn't an improvement

Not really meant to be criticism, I'm just confused or something

I bring this up only because I always forget about it and when I see a screen shot with COA soldiers, I'm like "what is this??"

PS isn't my avatar cool?

I still prefer the old sprites and the old Coalition weapons and actors.
I miss B23 and the Coalition Heavy Brainbot :C

Also, to contribute more, I really think that the toughest faction by far is the Browncoat faction. Coalition are very close to being the first one, but their actors aren't as tough, though they have some really strong weapons.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Coalition is pretty well rounded. What are they missing? They have every possible weapon type, light and heavy soldiers, and even a mech. There is no situation that coalition does not have an answer for. If the AI was much much better it would be near impossible to beat them.

Browncoats are less well rounded but their troops are so sturdy and their guns so strong that they can fake it with pure firepower.

I do agree that dummies can be brutal when set up in tight bunker corridors. They have some absurdly high damage weapons and dreadnaughts are just ugly to fight, as long as they don't have to move anywhere to get to the fight.

The ronin grouping thing makes sense, individual ronin troops just get blown away, but if they get attacked by a gatling turret or any kind of massive explosive like an uber cannon or the browncoat's grenade launcher the whole squad will get wiped out instantly. Every other faction has some kind of armored unit that can stand up to fire, at least a little, and cover for other softer units. The ronin armored troops still feels squishy and soft. I will try them again and see if i am missing something.

@Crow, Yes, have seen your avatar around and thought it was very cool.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Cerevox wrote:
Coalition is pretty well rounded. What are they missing? They have every possible weapon type, light and heavy soldiers, and even a mech. There is no situation that coalition does not have an answer for. If the AI was much much better it would be near impossible to beat them.

Browncoats are less well rounded but their troops are so sturdy and their guns so strong that they can fake it with pure firepower.

In Cortex Command I generally follow the rule of "A weapon is as strong as the guy who is holding it". Even though Coalition's heavies are tough, Browncoat Lights are even tougher.

If Coalition soldiers were nearly as tough as a Browncoat, they would be the top faction easily, specially for the fact of their all around weapons.

But Browncoats soldiers are so tough, that you can even get near soldiers with a light digger and kill them, while trying to do it with any other kind of light trooper would normally fail.

But all in all, Coalition is pretty sexy.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Crow wrote:
new Coalition sprites

[derp]There are new sprites for the Coalition? When did I miss this? Do I have to download a 'newest' version or something?[/derp]

Anyway - on the topic; I like the Browncoats, but they seem to be a bit OP. The incendiary shotgun has a ridiculously fast reload.

I'd like to like the Imperatus, but they need a lot more firepower. The nerfed heavy sniper rifle and flak cannon are a bit of a disappointment.

Oh, and Techion is OP too. Coalition and Ronin are fine imo. Dummies, meh.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Crow wrote:
PS isn't my avatar cool?

Now that he's gone, can I steal it?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

No.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:36 pm

the faction i depend upon is ronin. simply because they're fast and the m60 doesn't have a spin up time, plus the m16 is way more powerful than the coalition assault rifle.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 pm

I love ronin simply because of their weapons. The ronin have the best weapons in the game, period.
While guns like the spas 12 and the glock may not pack much of a punch, it's guns like the m1 grand, the kar98 and the pumpgun that can make the difference between life and death, especially in diggers only mode.

Lizardheim wrote:
No.

Pretty please with sugar, a cherry, pizza, a waffle, some steak, a chocolate mud cake and bacon strips on top?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Coalition Man myself; an interesting Campaign Setting I've yet to try is Max Sites, minimum brains, 3 AIs, -5 handicap for you, +5 for them; I'd see how taking over sites and evacing brains for attack would work out.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 am

I like the Dummies. They are cheap, but still pack a (small) punch. They only have some bad weaponry (yes, im looking at you, Blaster)

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Don't worry, dummies are getting a little boost.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:05 am

Coalition. Only coalition. Alright the browncoat is also awesome, but... Coalition...

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next