View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Increasing fun level... 

Post Increasing fun level...
Following advice form data010 himself, here's my post, verbatim from the relevant Steam forum for all of you seasoned CC-ers to consider :-o

OK, I've done just over 11hrs solid campaign play, and I've given this game a 'red-hot go' as we say sometimes in Australia. I see huge potential in it, and I really like it. I don't know how I didn't discover it before the Steam release.

I'm finding it to be a bit of a dull grind though. Playing campaign can take hours, with painfully slow progress and less intense combat than I expected. I don't have any human opponents to play against, so I need some pointers from the more seasoned players out there.

How can I make Cortex Command more fun? I barely know where to start with literally hundreds, and 11 years worth of mods. And what are some good campaign start settings,etc? Any tips are good. I know this game could be awesome, but there's just so much hardware and configuration possibilities, it's daunting!

Yes, yes, I know. Experiment, you say. But, my gaming time is limited and I want more immediate visceral fun. And, I don't want to give up on it!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Post Re: Increasing fun level...
Any of Weegee's scenarios are sure to give you tons of fun, they are amazing.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17512
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29714
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31032
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24988

Some good mods are Untitled, Wehrmacht, SAW and Unitec. This is definitely not an all inclusive list mind you, just a few personal favourites.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:55 am

you listed those but not the space marines?

for shame...

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:20 am

Major's mods are absolutely indispensable due to sheer amount of content, and all of them should work with 1.05 (barring the House of Suns, which I'm not sure about).

Arcalane's SPASS MAHREN pack is also excellent.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:37 am

Major wrote:
Any of Weegee's scenarios are sure to give you tons of fun, they are amazing.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17512
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29714
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31032
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24988

Some good mods are Untitled, Wehrmacht, SAW and Unitec. This is definitely not an all inclusive list mind you, just a few personal favourites.

Thanks for the useful advice, people! I've calmed down a bit, and reassessed my CC strategy. Putting a few more hours in, I browsed all the v1.0 mods, picked a few that looked like fun and got back into it.

I found my problem: perspective. I was treating CC too much like a 2D shooter (like the mighty Abuse by crack.com, or the more recent A.R.E.S. or Incursion games, which I love); but really it is much more a battle arena/RTS hybrid as well. It's a game like no other, and in fact the configurablility is what particularly appealed to me. Once I realised this, I got back in, used less conservative settings, and pretty soon I was flogging the AI and piling up the gold. There were glorious explosions and gibs everywhere!

Focus on individuals too much - lose. Assign tasks and drop them in the right places - THATS what leads to maximum fun! I'm hooked. I'm glad I invested in the CC project. Next I want to learn how to build mods, and get that District 9 Prawns mod working for 1.0 if the OP hasn't got time... :-P

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 am

Quote:
you listed those but not the space marines?

for shame...

Argh, I knew I forgot something. These guys are awesome too^^.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 am

For a minute there I thought I was going to have to slap you two for being fanboys. :P

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 am
Profile YIM

if you can make a mod that can delete a day from my life willy nilly you deserve my respect.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:02 am
DRLGrump

Don't forget my scene pack, which may or may not be compatible with the newest version.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Heh, if you want to have fun, try this mod.

And do a lot of stupid things :D

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:35 am

NeoSeeker wrote:
if you can make a mod that can delete a day from my life willy nilly you deserve my respect.

Well let's be fair now, a lot of people put work into that mod in one way or another and deserve as much (if not more) respect. Cave and the missile launcher/meltaweapons/lasers, Asklar and the jetpacks/airstrikes, various sprite contributors, etc. etc.

Also, on topic: I'll second checking out Tomaster's maps. Sometimes if I just want to wreck stuff I'll fire up the Warzone/Wartorn map, plunk a Space Marine down in the center with a bunch of guns, and shoot the AI as it comes down. Maybe call in an airstrike every so often to liven things up. See how long I can last before I get killed by a lucky coalition missile or crushed by a random piece of debris. :P

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm
Profile YIM
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Arcalane, Neoseeker is right, anyway, the WH40K mod is very complete, it has actors, crafts, a bunchload of weapons of every type AND a couple of activities (that I still need to polish completely) which are very dynamic.

I mean, how many times you get to see the AI bombarding you, forcing you to create bases and use strategies that are very different to your usual tower with a lot of guys firing out?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]