View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Bug (Guns are supported only facing 1 way) 

Post Bug (Guns are supported only facing 1 way)
Facing Right, support hand comes up to hold gun tighter. 95% of the time you WANT the gun supported by the other hand, it will be. This is good.

Facing left, there is never support.. even lying down and the hand going into support position, the gun still fires as if it's not supported.

Edit: This only seems to happen with the coalition light soldier. (Easiest way to see it -> Coalition light soldier + AK47)

P.S. consider a bug report section of the forums.. unless I'm blind.

Last edited by Corpsey on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Post Re: Bug (Guns are supported only facing 1 way)
It's not that the game doesn't support left-facing but the game does seem to make it so the BGArm uses the support at a much closer range(only when facing left). If you know what I mean.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Yeah.. the hand doesnt reach that extra pixel.. Well I have 4 options:

1) Deal with it
2) Use a different actor
3) Shorten the stock
4) have the hand holding the magazine even though there's a forward grip

Anyways I just happened to notice it because I retex'd the coalition light soldier and so my retex'd guy also has this same bug (which is why I initially thought it was more common). Upon using Unitec characters, they are able to support weapons that have a longer "reach" to make.

(Also, I'm going with option 1, but it would be nice to see this fixed somehow)

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:11 pm

although it may not look right you can also mess around with the sharpstanceoffset or whatever it's called and make the gun's sharp offset lower by a couple pixels

sure it won't look like the dude is looking directly down the sights, but you gotta weigh a slightly weird looking sharp stance against the support hand not engaging.

if you wouldn't mind giving the code for me i might get around to fixing it.

pretty much every mod i come across has ♥♥♥♥ up offsets somehow and i always have to go in and correct them myself. even vanilla guns have ♥♥♥♥ up offsets. i just redid the ronin gun offsets in a day last week, pretty much every gun the ronin has suffers from this exact problem the OP is mentioning.

i'm insanely ocd about offsets myself, and cannot use a mod/weapons/actors until i've fixed them if they're broken (to me)

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm quite able to fix them.. I just find it odd that it should be using all the same pieces for the AHuman, and yet the support doesn't reach when facing left. Realistically, the offsets are fine, IF they were mirrored properly.. So I'm wondering where that singular pixel discrepancy is, because if that is fixed then the gun would work fine the way it is, no need to shorten the stock and sharp stance.. plus vanilla weapons like the AK47 and others where the handguard is further out would also be 'fixed' by default...

Like I said when facing right most of the time the support hand does actually come up.. and yeah, I've tried other guns where you need really far reach and they don't even attempt to support it when it's so far, so I am familiar with the support hand's finickiness.. but I was surprised when I got it really nice and then turned around and he would just never support it.. I'm not talking just rarely, I mean he doesn't even attempt it.. it's odd enough to consider it a bug. It was especially noticeable because I happened to be making a saiga 410 sbs (with custom high velocity shells that don't really exist irl.. yet) so supporting it makes a huge difference.. as well as it should otherwise it would be a little too skill-less for my liking. I wouldn't be releasing the mod or anything, it's just something that I think should be fixed more at the core instead of through the guns -

A couple questions could potentially help solve this case:
Where is the code that mirrors the players when they face the other direction?
Is it worth digging around in AHuman to try solving this?

Hmm I have to start another AHuman from scratch soon anyways so I may prod some things to potentially figure this out - but I'm pretty sure it lies with the code that mirrors the BG arm, wherever that is.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:26 pm

this bug is apart of the engine.

we've known about it forever, so you'd think we would have already tried to fix it..

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:48 am

Hmm I'm not saying that you didn't try to.. considering this is the first bug I even seen so far (that seems like an easy fix..I mean, it's ONE pixel!) says a lot about the time put into this game. I love this game.. I'm just simply giving a feedback/bug report because it's vanilla content and easy to replicate. I have faith that someone will fix it.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Corpsey wrote:
Hmm I'm not saying that you didn't try to.. considering this is the first bug I even seen so far (that seems like an easy fix..I mean, it's ONE pixel!) says a lot about the time put into this game. I love this game.. I'm just simply giving a feedback/bug report because it's vanilla content and easy to replicate. I have faith that someone will fix it.

+1
I agree that this is an engine issue that should be fixed. Even if INI/LUA changes can solve it, modders shouldn't have to work around an engine bug (regardless of if our awesome modders fix it for their mod).

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]