View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Please release Archive of previous builds. 

Post Please release Archive of previous builds.
Hello, I've purchased this game twice so far, once from steam and then again when I wanted DRM Free, Because steam is spyware and laggy.

and so looking to try older mods I came to find I needed older builds such as B26, B24, B23, B25, etc. But finding them became impossible. A reputable source for these versions is something we desperately need.

And another thing, why are the older builds running on my machine with less lag? B24 for example, is really, really smooth on my machine. And even when it lags its not that bad.

But 1.0+, even my aiming is choppy. And I'm not sure whats going on. I will admit there are other issues with the older builds. But over all I like the feel of them.

And also, does ANYONE, I mean ANYONE have a b26 build.exe that isn't B24 in secret? I've been unable to find any torrent, or download anywhere with this build. And so far, I've just really wanted to see what its like.

Well, it'd be nice to see if anyone could help me with this or if we could get an official response.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:26 am

Post Re: Please release Archive of previous builds.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10850&hilit=history+of+cortex+command

Steam spyware? Wut? I don't even...

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:48 am

Izak12 wrote:
steam is spyware and laggy

Why do you think so?

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:30 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

You know you could just have copied the steam cortex command folder to somwhere else, or just simply not launched it through steam, right?

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Major wrote:
http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10850&hilit=history+of+cortex+command

Steam spyware? Wut? I don't even...

Well thanks, but it doesn't have B26. I wish someone knew where to get that build.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Lizardheim wrote:
You know you could just have copied the steam cortex command folder to somwhere else, or just simply not launched it through steam, right?

Hmm, I only realized this much recently, however my distrust of steam stays the same. And most games running with steam need the client service on. Cortex Command launches stand alone and doesn't make any registry values much like Dwarf Fortress.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Why do you not trust Steam? It's made by the (arguably) most respected gaming company of all time, the only thing I don't like about it is the recent TOS change, but the implications are clearly stated and not something that makes them hard to trust. The fact that they were so open about it actually makes them easier to trust in my opinion.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Luringen wrote:
Izak12 wrote:
steam is spyware and laggy

Why do you think so?

6. USER GENERATED INFORMATION

"User Generated Information" means any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam or to Valve or its affiliates through your use of the Software or otherwise. User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Valve products or services, and error notifications. Subject to the Valve privacy policy referenced in Section 1 above, as applicable, and except as otherwise specifically addressed in any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use, you expressly grant Valve and its affiliates the non-exclusive, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind. For any content for which you take advantage of cloud storage provided by Valve, you grant us a license to store such information for you, and you represent and warrant to us that you have sufficient rights in such content to grant us this license. You acknowledge and agree that we may place limits on the amount of storage you may use.

It's just bloated extraware, once activated, none of the games should require online verification, or even need the steam client functioning while running. I'm not making this an anti-steam thread. I'm stating my personal opinion based off of years of usage. The fact that right now steam is getting away with stealing tons of users money on full purchases that do not lend themselves to full-user to first party usage rights is baffling, and people are just fine with giving them all that money, for a simple rental service... that holds hostage your goods.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Personally, I love most of Steams features, especially chatting in game, easily joining friends, Workshop, wishlists, trading, etc... Of course, if you don't use these features, its just slows things down.

The TOS is pretty shady, but that goes for all TOSes. It's quite American, covering everything to avoid being sued.
-The "don't start class-action lawsuits" parts are invalid in almost all countries, but still shady.
-The personal information part says what its about, the "and more" is (very likely) just to cover themselves from random lawsuits, but it can be used for the wrong reasons if Valve would want to of course.
-The recent "you are merely renting games, you don't own them" part is the worst part, which I'm against on principle, but doesn't really change anything in practice. Hopefully it gets removed if Steam fully implements its new marketplace for selling in-game items for real cash to actual games, as it was a response to a new EA rule.

In the end i it all depends on whether or not you trust Valve, and I can fully understand that a lot of people don't, particularly due to the always-shady TOSes.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:55 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Oh please.

If you don't want to use steam, why the hell are you buying games on it?

Besides, the majority of people like the services steam provides, like not having to have an account for every single god damn online game.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Woops, looks like this thread derailed quickly. Back to the main topic then!

Unless you can find B26 on torrent sites or someone decides to PM it to you (both are not technically legal AFAIK), you can't get it, sadly. Only the really old versions of CC are being distributed for free, as the new versions are pretty similar to the newest one, apart from a few major changes. If they were released, non-customers could just download them and not bother with actually buying the game. Would be nice to have a confirmed-owners-only forum with all the previous builds, but that might be a lot of work to implement.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Luringen wrote:
Woops, looks like this thread derailed quickly. Back to the main topic then!

Unless you can find B26 on torrent sites or someone decides to PM it to you (both are not technically legal AFAIK), you can't get it, sadly. Only the really old versions of CC are being distributed for free, as the new versions are pretty similar to the newest one, apart from a few major changes. If they were released, non-customers could just download them and not bother with actually buying the game. Would be nice to have a confirmed-owners-only forum with all the previous builds, but that might be a lot of work to implement.

It's doubtful that a file that takes less than 60mb is a hassle to store for users to use. That's still only a couple of gigs of storage for all the previous builds. And If I own something, I can torrent it alternatively. Ironically, steam would declare otherwise due to it's End User Agreement, which states that any games sold within it's service are to be used only WITHIN it's service. Which leads me to my next response;

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 am

Lizardheim wrote:
Oh please.

If you don't want to use steam, why the hell arewere you buying games on it?

Besides, the majority of people like the services steam provides, like not having to have an account for every single god damn online game.

here, I've decided to copy and paste my official response on the services steam provides;

As it stands now, not having access to the software as a stand alone product doesn't even make sense, if you're downloading it through Steam, it's been verified. If you've purchased it in a store, you need to be on line to enter your code. The need for your game products to be injected with steamware to even function just baffles me. If it is a game that requires steam to access online servers, that function within the game should simply not work. Steam should not be required to start games you've purchased from them legally. Because it has been verified. It doesn't make any sense to me, and I hope I've cleared up some misunderstandings here.

In fact, when it comes to Cortex Command, and games like it, it makes sense suddenly, only impart to the fact that these games do not create registry values or are not dependent upon them for launch in the first place. Such as Dwarf Fortress. Or are not dependent on steam's DRM system to start. They ARE dependent on steam's service for installation of which I've no issue with in the first place. But I'll just end the argument right there. As for some reason there is a legion of fans for steam's service where this service can do no wrong. Ever.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

You don't actually buy your games from valve, it's more of a one time rent fee.

Legal wise, anyways.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I don't mind Steam's DRM, really. Mainly because I've never had problems with it. It has always been fast and unnoticeable for me.
In my opinion, DRM isn't a bad thing, but bad DRM is a bad thing. That's why Ubisoft's always-online DRM got so much flak.

Steam does have its flaws. I'm not saying it's perfect, but at the moment, it's (arguably) the best service of its kind with the broadest range of games available.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next