View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Question About Base Content 

Post Question About Base Content
I'm not sure where to ask this question, but here it goes:

My question is as follows, I realize this is up to you developers , but why do you not define all of the base factions within the Base.rte file? Or atleast, most of their devices/gibs/scripts.

Now, hear me out, I realize you most likely did NOT do this for ease of use for modders. But as I try to learn more about the Cortex Command file structure for my own little mods, I just realized during extensive mod to mod compatibility testing, if these files were simply defined in the base file before hand (and it always loading FIRST) that most of my mods compatibility issues would be more easily resolved, since I'd KNOW that ALL of these files were defined WITHIN the base.rte folder.

And hear me out again, In relation to these modules, they are original creations by you, at data realms. Users interesting in modding this content would easily know where to copy the files from, couldn't they simply just copy what they needed. And if they defined their own factions, wouldn't loading them AFTER the base.rte factions simply overwrite the originals if that WAS the case? As the game would play using the item loaded last using any like definitions?

Forgive my misunderstandings should they arise. It is simply an observation I made for simplicities sake.....

(heads back into the fray)

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:51 am

Post Re: Question About Base Content
I just kinda quickly glanced over the entire thing so if there is something I misread than feel free to correct me.

First of all, it's not REALLY necessary to define all the factions in the base.rte because the standard factions are ALWAYS loaded before any mod. The mod compatibility issues are usually because things were either removed between builds, or now called 'versions' (again if I'm reading it wrong or am providing incorrect information, feel free to correct me).

Secondly, I'm assuming you are asking what happens if I create something based off one of the existing factions. It will only overwrite something if you were to give the preset name the same as something that already exists. For example: I made an Ak-47 and I actually made the preset name of the ak, 'Ak-47'. Well, I would be overwriting the existing Ronin Ak because my mod is loaded after Ronin.rte.

Last edited by ShadowStorm on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:15 am

ShadowStorm wrote:
I just kinda quickly glanced over the entire thing so if there is something I misread than feel free to correct me.

First of all, it's not REALLY necessary to define all the factions in the base.rte because the standard factions are ALWAYS loaded before any mod. The mod compatibility issues are usually because things were either removed between builds, or now called 'versions' (again if I'm reading it wrong or am providing incorrect information, feel free to correct me).

That's odd, because I swear this is not happening with my game.
And by that I mean, I will re-enable something with another faction that may have something removed, or a mod that has something that loads way before another mod, and for SOME reason, unless I define it within the Base.rte ini files, it just breaks. I tested this extensively. I'm not sure what causes it.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:57 am
Forum Moderator

From what I remember, you can define two items with identical presetnames now as long as they are in different .rte folders. IIRC DaTa made that some builds ago to avoid having mods conflict if they used similar naming schemes to particles, weapons, craft or actors.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]