View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Mods on Mac 

Post Mods on Mac
Can someone list the mods that work on Mac? I'm having a hard time finding which ones work. Warhammer is the only one that works fine on Mac. Thanks for the help. I'm enjoying the heck out of the game but want to find more content.

Using the latest version of the game downloaded from Steam.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Post Re: Mods on Mac
That would be an extremely hard task, as most of the mods work on Mac, the mods that work on mac are the ones without "/" in the coding. I am a Mac user too.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Well so far the warhammer mod is fine as well as the metal slug one. Thanks for the heads up. I've just been going through with ones I might like and see if they work.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:29 am

While it's quite a hassle fixing non-compatible mods for mac, if you know how to edit the ini files and interpret the errors thrown up by CC, it's not too hard to fix them.
The majority of the errors are caused, as dogboy mentioned, by the mod makers using \ rather than / in the ini files. While that works under windows, it isn't recognized for paths in MacOS, and so throws up an error.

The error will say something along the lines of "Failed to open included data file Error happened in
ModFolder.rte/Path/To/File.ini at line X!

The line X is fairly important, just in case it's not a \ error, but for slash errors, knowing the file is usually enough.
So what you'd want to do is open up the .ini file in question with TextEdit or something similar, do a search for "\" (Use Command + F) and replace the offending backslashes with forward slashes (/).

Another error you might come across is an incompatible .wav file. I can't remember the error that throws up, either a no such file or a read error or some such. One way I've found to fix those is opening them up with a sound editor (such as Audacity) and re-exporting them.

I think there's one other error I've come across where Windows CC will accept -1 as a value for an infinite Lifetime, while MacOS will give an error. Just changing the -1 to a 0 should fix that one.

As for errors that crash without a message, I've come across a few, but they're harder to troubleshoot. I believe most of them are non-OS specific, so the author is probably going to pick up on them if they're there.

All that said, if there's a mod you want to make compatible and you've tried, and it didn't work, I might be able to take a look at getting it mac-friendly in my spare time.

Hope this helps!

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:13 am

Technomancer wrote:
While it's quite a hassle fixing non-compatible mods for mac, if you know how to edit the ini files and interpret the errors thrown up by CC, it's not too hard to fix them.
The majority of the errors are caused, as dogboy mentioned, by the mod makers using \ rather than / in the ini files. While that works under windows, it isn't recognized for paths in MacOS, and so throws up an error.

The error will say something along the lines of "Failed to open included data file Error happened in
ModFolder.rte/Path/To/File.ini at line X!

The line X is fairly important, just in case it's not a \ error, but for slash errors, knowing the file is usually enough.
So what you'd want to do is open up the .ini file in question with TextEdit or something similar, do a search for "\" (Use Command + F) and replace the offending backslashes with forward slashes (/).

Another error you might come across is an incompatible .wav file. I can't remember the error that throws up, either a no such file or a read error or some such. One way I've found to fix those is opening them up with a sound editor (such as Audacity) and re-exporting them.

I think there's one other error I've come across where Windows CC will accept -1 as a value for an infinite Lifetime, while MacOS will give an error. Just changing the -1 to a 0 should fix that one.

As for errors that crash without a message, I've come across a few, but they're harder to troubleshoot. I believe most of them are non-OS specific, so the author is probably going to pick up on them if they're there.

All that said, if there's a mod you want to make compatible and you've tried, and it didn't work, I might be able to take a look at getting it mac-friendly in my spare time.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the insight. The only mod i'm currently interested in that has crashing problems is the UNSC mod. I'm ignorant on matters of modding, but I looked and saw the ini files you were talking about but don't know how to open them. Even if I could I would most likely mess something up.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 am

Hmmm that's quite strange, the UNSC mod works fine for me on Mac.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:18 pm

dogboy122 wrote:
Hmmm that's quite strange, the UNSC mod works fine for me on Mac.

It crashes a lot on campaign. It will crash when I click the prompt button to start or end a day. I can make it to day 5 usually. It crashed for the first time playing scenario mode. I had ordered in a couple of Jorges with heavy machine guns and it crashed.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Certain sprite files are incompatible, perhaps the way the image is saved.

Certain audio files will not work. Perhaps the encoding used.....

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]