View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 This game is so broken 

Post This game is so broken
Some repeatable test cases:

1. Scenario battle, bunker breach, difficulty=cake, Danosia Pass. Order as many AA drones as you can afford, on the default rocket. Have it land on the flat, open sand area near your brain. Observe as the rocket crashes and then you inexplicably win the scenario.

2. Scenario battle, bunker breach, difficulty=cake, Danosia Pass. Place default order, command it to land on the extreme left edge of the map. Observe as a strip on the left edge of the map is revealed, and your order never actually arrives (I guess it fell off the bottom left edge of the map?).

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 am

Post Re: This game is so broken
1. This is pretty similar to the crab bomb where you overload the entity amount and pretty much break the game. In other words its pretty much you.

2. If you go off the edge of a map with an edge, it dies, no matter what it is, not really game breaking, but annoying. It would be nice to have an edge barrier for these maps.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 am

Sandbox games are still games. When they let a user do something and don't handle it sensibly, that's a lack of polish at the very least.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm

If you do something silly, expect the game to do something silly. Yes, there are plenty of bugs and quirks to the game that could use some polishing or fixing. However, the two specific cases you mentioned start with you doing something broken or messed up, so it makes sense for the game to do something broken or messed up.

Actually, the second thing is actually working correctly. If you fall off the edge of the map, you fell off the edge of the map. Seems pretty straightforward to me, just don't fall off the edge if you don't want to die.

The first is only caused because you did something silly. Yes, it should work, but it doesn't, so don't spam deploy zillions of units if you don't want the game to break.

Perhaps next time you should pick some actual problems to complain about, of which there are many, instead of a manufactured problems.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 pm

Cerevox wrote:
The first is only caused because you did something silly. Yes, it should work, but it doesn't, so don't spam deploy zillions of units if you don't want the game to break.

I don't understand what was inherently silly about buying a rocketship full of drones. I did it because my brain got bushwhacked in a previous session by an enemy shipment while I was exploring on ahead with a soldier. I thought it would be a good idea to completely lock down that landing area with AA drones.

I can understand the rocket crashing due to the weight overload (although a more polished game would give the player visibility into the weight data, or at least a warning), but the insta-win behavior makes no sense at all from a game design standpoint.

Quote:
Actually, the second thing is actually working correctly. If you fall off the edge of the map, you fell off the edge of the map. Seems pretty straightforward to me, just don't fall off the edge if you don't want to die.

Your statement implies that something was "on" the edge of the map and then "fell off". This is incorrect. It asked me where to land the shipment, and it didn't land there - it apparently just kept going. This is also a bug from a game design standpoint, as you're allowing a player to select a landing zone that is a black hole rather than an actual landing zone. At the very very least, the landing zone selection cursor should not show that the chosen horizontal location will cause a shipment to land on top of a hill when it will actually come down off the left side of the map.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 pm

HunterZ wrote:
Cerevox wrote:

I don't understand what was inherently silly about buying a rocketship full of drones. I did it because my brain got bushwhacked in a previous session by an enemy shipment while I was exploring on ahead with a soldier. I thought it would be a good idea to completely lock down that landing area with AA drones.

I can understand the rocket crashing due to the weight overload (although a more polished game would give the player visibility into the weight data, or at least a warning), but the insta-win behavior makes no sense at all from a game design standpoint.

There's a 255 MovableObject (MO) limit, because the physics engine isn't the most polished and all sorts of bugs can happen if it gets over that number, so Data set things to automatically gib once you hit that 255 MO limit. It strikes me as one of those things he did early in development, and then never got around to going back and removing. I could be wrong on that, though.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Your rocket went off the edge, therefore it fell off the edge. Rockets don't always fly straight, especially when you heavilly load them.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:24 pm

IMO non wrapping maps like doinar (whatever) are bad to have

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:01 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Here's a quick thought - why don't you order a realistic number of actors and items per craft? I saves weight which increases maneuverability, and a shot down craft is worth less - saving you money in hostile encounters. UNLESS of course you want to play this as as sandbox game in which case you would be wiser to use an invincible brain or other such means instead of hopelessly ordering a ridiculous number of drones to protect you.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Roast Veg wrote:
Here's a quick thought - why don't you order a realistic number of actors and items per craft? I saves weight which increases maneuverability, and a shot down craft is worth less - saving you money in hostile encounters. UNLESS of course you want to play this as as sandbox game in which case you would be wiser to use an invincible brain or other such means instead of hopelessly ordering a ridiculous number of drones to protect you.

Please re-read my earlier posts, as someone already put forth nearly identical points. THE CRASHING OF THE ROCKET IS FINE. The issue at hand here is that in one case it glitched out and told me I won, and in another case the shipment was never even visible on the game map; I have a hard time understanding the value in discussing what is or isn't "realistic" given this unrealistic behavior.

As previously mentioned, your argument also only highlight's a different area in which the game lacks polish: As far as I've noticed, the game UI doesn't give the player any visibility into the weight/mass of units/equipment or the lifting capacity of various craft. As a result, there is no reasonable way to even assess what "realistic" might be.

Finally, a couple of dozen drones doesn't sound that ridiculous to me. That's barely 10% of the supposed entity limit.

Maybe the game should set per-map, per-player entity limits, and then simply refuse to spawn more entities for a player when his/her/its limit has been reached. Instead, it seems to be effectively using a global circular entity buffer, which allows you to force the game to kill off brains in order to spawn in more of your own units.

Edit: And for the map edge issue, it just shouldn't be possible to select a landing site that isn't really a landing site. Why let the player put the cursor somewhere that results in a rocket falling through the map. WHY?

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

The masses and carrying loads are easily learnt through trial and improvement, but if you are too impatient to spend time to learn a game you could pay attention to the loads purchased by the AI and work from there. Its ok if you don't want to actually enjoy a game though.

Drones do not exist as one MOID. They exist as one Movable Object ID per Movable Object that is a child to them - which includes the body and all attached limbs and devices. You are overworking the game beyond its capabilities. Remember also that you can control rockets yourself, so calling in a rocket where the AI cannot land safely offers more flexibility for players that wish to micromanage their characters.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 pm

As much as the example in your case HunterZ is perhaps testing the limits of what the game is capable of, I would also like to agree that the game overall really does need to be finished (or complete, or gold or whatever is defined by Data as done.)

I really enjoyed playing this game - even in its really buggy state and one of the reasons was that it is so chaotic and alot of it doesn't make sense until you've played around with it a bit. I did however quickly move to mods in order to try and fix a few of the more niggling issues (AI pathfinding for example) which can be frustrating once you've grasped some of the games basics. But there are alot of issues that need addressing (too many to detail here, but I'm sure most people who play the game know which ones I'm talking about.) It's a shame that the game was given a 1.0 version tag and called done when there is still alot that could be done.

I don't really play this anymore for the above reason - it's fun and it's kinda crazy but soon you want more from the game and there's nothing there to really draw you back I've been waiting for some kind of update to address the bugs and give the game some polish, but so far all that's been said is that new menu screens are being made. This was at the beginning of last month and is the only real update since the game was released as finished. The game took time to develop so I guess it's just another long wait, but I am put off of other games by Datarealms until this one gets the polish it deserves.

Once the bugs are ironed out - this would be an amazing game. Until then, it's (excluding the price) cheap, quick fun.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:48 pm

I did just enter a site for the first time only to have the enemy brain explode before I'd chosen a drop site and then be told that I had FAILED the attack. That's a kind of broken thing.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 am

Quote:
And for the map edge issue, it just shouldn't be possible to select a landing site that isn't really a landing site. Why let the player put the cursor somewhere that results in a rocket falling through the map. WHY?

To weed out the idiots. Its common sense, "Oh, you can fall off've the edge of the map, lets not fly rockets near there."

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:31 am

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd DLed the rocket AI mod!

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next