View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Upcoming Steam Workshop Tools 

Post Upcoming Steam Workshop Tools
And the wolves come out their caves

This snippet is pretty sure to attract some of the long running modders and the current serious ones alike. Even more, the questions make the curiosity even more interesting, especially already having the editors in-game. Could there even be a form of cross-integration between these tools and the editor? This thread is for any news, insights, and hopefully in the future a report hub on said tools, be it bugs or usage

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 pm

Post Re: Upcoming Steam Workshop Tools
Some Thoughts:

Although the above the link is the only the announcement I can only imagine what DR will implement to date. Off the top of my mind, Offset and Walkpath Editors top the list. For all that is planned a whole suite could be in order. What I'm most thrilled about is how well these can streamline content making. Nothing is better than syncing up what you have coded aside the art and sprites you've made up. While I mod, I often mark or try to see where my offsets will be. Other times scraps of walking arcs riddle my page to figure out how the get an aesthetic but functional gait.

The above thought also brings up something else: will these be a replacement for the editors we have, running in place of them in-menu? This move, should it be, is a grand one. Take in point the Actor Editor, it shows and test the basic functions at command yet no way to test the actor under gravity nor apply forces to it in testing. From here, I believe most modders would just use the Tutorial Bunker as a benchmark for new content.

Like I said who knows, yet. We could have drop-in support for our sprites. Or script and assemble actors/scenes in the same program. And the life of me, we probably getting a zoom feature or measurement tools. I'd love to know my actor's weight and impulses on the fly. (Closest thing to that was CC48's Scanners). The program(s) altogether could be a proverbial raster and vector program for CC. Don't get me started on Campaign Editing :twisted:

Above it all though, CC is getting a rather needed upgrade in a very crucial area. I have to admit this makes the game a more viable sandbox and interchanging platform.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 pm

I somehow skimmed over that dev log post enough to only notice the gui editor, and not the workshop stuff he was making in it.
Neat.

I'd suggest you not get too ahead of yourself, though, with your expectations.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Most of the hopes are just poking stimuli for conversations, but the dotes on the editors and implements are real concerns. Given the kind of transparency with DR, I'm wondering which route will be taken. The news is fine, good in fact, but there is a sanctification in the post 1.0 launch in a development route. Having a provided public outline can sate the interest and any feedback therein. I would want my info to be a grail, if I was in the developer's spot. Sandbox / open-world games are definitely ones the at need structure in and out of their use.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:25 pm

I think the workshop is gonna be pretty darn cool especially since I am just getting into modding the game. It will also make finding good mods easier in my opinion.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]