View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 So things have gotten pretty barren around here... 
happy carebear mom

Post Re: So things have gotten pretty barren around here...
Any amount of more hammerfight is a good amount.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:06 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Dah, I'm already in a relationship, but yes, it is.

I don't know if you can pull mouse velocity with the current lua api.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:13 am

Meh, CC is just in a back burner state.

Personally I see that in order to get the most out of the mod time is to keep making small things behind the scenes, while a bigger blueprint of what you want. Then when the mass becomes more hearty you plop it on display. if any one is still modding this would be my guess to part of the quietness.

And remember, barrenness isn't really a poor situation, many a great gains have been found from an oasis alone

Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 am

Eh, i'm just personally really close to that "moving on" part, i've done almost everything that's worth doing from my viewpoint. I'm honestly not really appealed to by the campaign of the game, although this is mostly because of my taste rather than the game itself. I've had A LOT of fun with CC, so i'd be lying horribly if i said it wasn't worth the money, but it's mostly in the madness of the skirmish game that i've found entertainment (along with modding, of course). Hell, CC is what got me into spriting, modding, Lua and, by proxy, game development (as much as that goes for me), so it has actually been very influential to my life. Yeah yeah, i know, life improvement by a game --> meganerd, but ♥♥♥♥ you i AM a meganerd and I AM PROUD OF IT.

I stick around for the community though, plenty of cool guys around here. Also, if i can help some new modders getting properly into it, then that's lovely too. c:

Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I may pester you in the near future.

Tue May 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Well ♥♥♥♥, I havent posted in a month or two (three, four? Bah I forgot) but I have been lurking, I would like to say I have a TON of coding done for the continuation of Gotcha's vault tech mod, everything is done... except the sprites, I always got blown off so all of these hours of coding I put into it have died, and that's probably one reason people just leave, they don't think their hours of work is up to expectations and don't want to pump more hours of work into something that may not get released.

Sat May 11, 2013 10:03 am

My friends lost interest in this game quickly, and I could only hold on for so long (i believe I lasted 3 months out of dedication to my mod) but unfortunately, working on my mod has grinded to a halt. Its sad to say, but i've lost interest in this game as well.

The concept was beautiful, there was nothing else like this game out there and I was imagining where it'd go, but then months have gone by where not a single update or dev log post was done...

:-(

Constant evolution is what keeps a game alive and growing, but nothing's happened for a really long time. I think they may have ditched Cortex Command for the Cave Vehicle thing.

Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 pm

game needs to be remade on a more up to date engine with focus on a coherent campaign and less on sandboxing, just make it available.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 am

I picked up CC when it was in a Humble Indie Bundle around 2 and a half years ago. I didn't play it much before the Steam 1.0 release, but then I've played it in a couple of short bursts.

Now I feel like there isn't much to do if you aren't a modder, and the lack of polish guarantees that something will frustrate me any time I decide to fire it up and play a short campaign.

Now take into account the fact that the game has basically only been updated once in around 3 years, and that there's nothing publicly announced as coming down the pipe (other than maybe Steam Workshop integration?). I can't shake the feeling that this game shouldn't be worth my time when it doesn't seem to be worth the developer's time these days either.

I do feel like it may be worth trying to play some of the better mods that are available, but I can't find an organized, comprehensive list of CC mods - let alone a list of what the "good" ones are.

Mon May 13, 2013 8:13 pm

HunterZ, I think it's definitely worth your time to give mods a shot. Modding CC is the only thing that's kept my interest in the game for so long. :)

As far as a comprehensive list, like one that explains what each mod does from a glance, there isn't one. You'd have to check out each individual topic in Mod Releases to find out what they do (generally, the mods you'll find with many replies/views have them for good reason; this doesn't imply there aren't great mods that don't get the praise they deserve, however).

I don't try out every mod that's released, but I can recommend a few if you'd like. These aren't in any particular order, I just scanned the mod releases page and recognized ones I've had a lot of fun with.

1) Space Pirates Federation - New Faction; not overpowered, unlike many other mods you'll find. These guys could be part of the vanilla game they're so well done.

2) Shadow Echelon - New Faction; a personal favorite of mine. The level of detail is amazing, including more than 40 new sounds for the actors alone. Weapons have recoil mechanics and limited ammo (which you can buy more of).

3) General Industries - New Faction; amazing spritework coupled with diverse weapons and actors.

4) Anything in this post should be pretty fun.

5) Pretty much anything by TheLastBanana, weegee (scenes), CaveCricket48, Mehman, and Gotcha! (try out the SHIELD: Under Siege missions, and of course UNITEC).

A little short list to help you get started. I'm still leaving out a lot of talented modders in #5, BTW.

Tue May 14, 2013 12:13 am

Does anybody remember - around B23-ish - when most, maybe all MOPixels had a glowing TRAIL?

I kinda hate it that you can currently only add a glow to the 'tip' pixel.

I seriously want this as a feature. That is if data would give a crap. Which he probably doesn't at this point...

----

On another note tough, I have an urge to keep modding for the game, but it feels like the spark on the forums is slowly fading away and there won't be any people left to share mods with.

I wish there was someone with an enormous amount of inspiration and dedication still working on the game.

Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 pm

And I wish there were art assets.

Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 pm

4zK wrote:

I remember that, I think it was added to tracers around B18. Data removed that type of glow because it was a memory hog or something, but I liked the effect too.

Cortex Command has given me more hours of fun than any other game I own, and I'm grateful for that. If the game "dies," I think it's because it was mishandled, taking an easier route than the one Arne had envisioned, and one that lacked the character it deserved.

Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Honestly, the game lags too much for me to really play it well in a "game" sense.

Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 pm

Quote:
3) Lack of updates; updates that break old mod functionality.
Add to that developers who don't bother talking to the public, moderators who yell at primary modders when the engine breaks their stuff, instead of communicating with the developers, bugs that never ever seem to get fixed, etc., etc.

Data would have made a much better game here if he'd simply offered the source up to whoever actually wanted to maintain and improve it for a reasonable license fee.

For me personally, I only like participating in Indie game modding scenes when I can get technical support and the developers are willing to be active in their communities. My mistake was thinking that since guys like Lizard were around, that meant real communication was happening. I didn't really get the "we'll try to talk to Data..." stuff until it was too late.

CC had its day, and apparently that day was back when I held off from bothering to mod it seriously because it was so obviously not-finished and unpolished.

I showed up to mod it seriously when the (broken, unfinished, unpolished) "campaign" mode showed up, stuck with it long enough to build a mod that fixed practically ALL of the major gameplay problems... and for all my work, I get "thanked" by the developers breaking my mod and then refusing to lift a finger to help fix what they'd broken. While the developers packaged up a "release" that didn't fix all of the stuff I fixed.

I get the sense that they didn't even know what they'd done or what they lost, because they got our money and weren't even bothering to test their code against mods at all.

So no, I'm not surprised this has happened. It's just too bad; the engine's probably able to be fixed and improved if somebody competent had the source and was willing to communicate with people on a regular basis.

Heck, just "little" stuff, like using PNG instead of an archaic, non-nonsensical 8-bit palette, would be a big deal, and not that difficult to implement. But no.

Ah well, at least the Forums are still up, so that people can see the things that used to exist...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next