View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 So things have gotten pretty barren around here... 

Post So things have gotten pretty barren around here...
i was just sitting on my computer and i saw the cortex command icon on my desktop and i thought to myself "hmm i wonder whats going on with this game?" and i quickly Google searched for the forums and was all excited thinking what kind of new cool mods their may have been added and then i clicked on the forums and the page loaded up and there was NOTHING NEW! barely any new topics where added (maybe 3?) and the mod section had no new contributions since my last visit.
Seriously what the hell happened here? even some of the most unknown games on the internet (more unknown than cortex command) still have more active forums than this!

i just want to say that out of all of the forums i have seen on the internet this has to be one of the top 5 least active ones.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 am

Post Re: So things have gotten pretty barren around here...
Yeah, it's a shame. I thought that once the game left beta, things would really pick up, but not even a Steam release seemed to help. There are several reasons that I think contributed to the inactivity:

1) Many game mechanics now incorporate lua where they didn't before. I feel this raises the barrier to entry when it comes to modding.
2) The direction the game went in. I'm sure anyone who's been following the game for a while knows what I mean.
3) Lack of updates; updates that break old mod functionality.
4) The vanilla content is very comprehensive now. This isn't a bad thing, but areas modders used to fill themselves are already taken care of I guess.
5) The game's best modders set the bar pretty high when it comes to quality. Perhaps newbies may not feel their mod is up to snuff.
6) Modding itself is still an arduous process, and not much headway has been made to streamline the process. Hopefully the next update can help out a bit.
7) It's been in development for quite a long time. People just move on sometimes.

I think the simplest way to bring back players to the board would be to revamp the forum itself. Personally, I feel the black and red scheme is unappealing, and it might change the mood for the better. I don't know. I think it's worth a shot.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:20 am

Its because the game isn't relevant or advertised that much. On top of that, modding is somewhat dead, because not everyone can sprite. Its actually pretty difficult to sprite, anyone who says it doesn't. Has been doing it for quite some time and I mean that could be said for anything but the point still stands.

If spriting wasn't such a hassle I'd bet more people would join in, but no one here likes recolors so obviously that's gonna kill the mood for some people. I don't like them either but some do.

Plus on top of that, most of the really cool ♥♥♥♥ is done with LUA, LUA is a simple programming language. But not easy to grasp, I mean I'm not good with memory so I couldn't learn any form of programming If It depended on my life. But anyway, If it wasn't such a hassle, more people would release mods.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:04 am
Forum Moderator

I think the point Uberhen made about quality is pretty valid. When I first joined you could get away with making a semi decent machinegun with cool sounds. Now you basically HAVE to make fancy lua actors or weapon, factions or mod packs to get noticed

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:00 pm

I was really amazed by the potential that CC's concept had, and it was admittedly far from completion. This gave me an opportunity to form massive, unrealistic over-expectations, which made the game more exciting to me. Those started dwindling as reality kicked in, and when Data called this the full release, it pretty much killed the last of them.

It was my fault for getting credulous about it, and I'm sorry because I respect DRL and their work, and I know this is insulting to it, but CC is a disappointment to me.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Too many bad mods, not enough good mods, not enough to talk about on the forum that isn't mods...

I haven't even looked in OT but from what I can tell it's MLP 24/7 so that's not exactly going to attract people to post here...

Also the game is broken and it looks a lot like there's not a lot more to expect form Data, so that sucks.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Well just my two cents as a new player who bought the week before release.

I cant get anybody to play it, whenever i do manage to get a friend to sit down and give it a go, it's undone almost every time by game breaking bugs. The fact that the core mechanics are so enjoyable is immediately overwhelmed by the constant restarts. They all say the same thing, its fun but a waste of time and they'd rather play something that works.

Its doesn't help when there's constant suggestions that the player is playing it wrong and the fact that even though there was a huge negative swell in audience reaction, the developer still hasn't worked any harder to improve the product. I get the impression that they don't need the consumers at all. Which is fine and certainly within their right as its creators but it does lend itself to a massively disappointing game for now.

Or maybe in 10 years time it will create the perfect game. :)

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:43 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Azukki wrote:
[.. I]t pretty much killed the last of them.

Oh Azukki, you are a cool guy

I really don't like the tactical overheard you need to beat the AI now, god damn.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 pm

uberhen wrote:

I'm Googlex6 and I approve this message.
I feel like this completely.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:43 am

Quote:
Too many bad mods, not enough good mods, not enough to talk about on the forum that isn't mods...

I haven't even looked in OT but from what I can tell it's MLP 24/7 so that's not exactly going to attract people to post here...

Also the game is broken and it looks a lot like there's not a lot more to expect form Data, so that sucks.

A: Evidently you haven't even looked in mod releases either.
B: You're an idiot.
C: See above. Broken implies it doesn't function.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:10 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I think quite a few of us can list a number of exemplary mods, and exemplary mods of not so exemplar quality.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 am
happy carebear mom

The lack of things happening here on DRL is nothing new. Every time a build is released we get a big influx of users and new content and then it all dies down over a period of a few months.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:14 pm

I think we're worried about the post - 1.0 termination of the cycle

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Teleo wrote:

As an ambassador of off-topic, I can say that's untrue. It's clowns 24/7. And I love it.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I still think the CVE is kinda weird in how the fractures, and so on work.. seriously, the tank is like a glass cannon, and it is so hard to brutalize a drop ship.
Oh, and who wants to recreate Hammerfight in CVE?

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next