View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 A couple suggestions 

Post A couple suggestions
I love this game. Cortex Command is already absolutely awesome, with the best physics system i've ever seen and an interesting concept in general. An rts mixed with a sidescrolling shooter.
The thing is, this game deserves SO much more attention. Out of everyone i know, im the only one whose ever heard of this game. That upsets me.
First, this game NEEDS an online multiplayer as fast as you can humanly make it. I predict this will make the popularity of CC skyrocket. Imagine a 2v2 multiplayer with friends online rather than the rather awkward system we have now. Awesome, right? And it can go beyond 2v2, up to 4v4, or even higher, as the limitations of one-machine play are now gone. Before anything else, this MUST be added.
Next are a couple, slightly less important suggestions that i personally think would be interesting.

Now these are much more trivial

These are pretty much all i have. Ill add more if i think of them, and Data realms, i REALLY hope you read this. Feel free to ignore some of these, but multiplayer is vital.
Also, i might set up a petition later so that TB does an updated WTF is of CC when the multiplayer when it is implemented. Not part of a humble indie bundle, but its own thing, cause of all games, this ones merits it.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Post Re: A couple suggestions
Yeah, CC is pretty unique. Too bad it got mixed reviews when 1.0 was released, that might put certain people off from trying it now. As far as multiplayer is concerned, the creator has said many times it's not something he's going to do; he envisioned the game as local multiplayer on the same screen only. There once was a multiplayer mod developed by some talented forum members, but I never got the chance to play it when servers were still up (and even then I heard it had its limitations). I'll direct you here, here, and the working multiplayer mod here.

Most of the other stuff you mentioned was created as a mod at one point, there's the Coalition punisher here (a giant mech), extra dummy gunships, apcs and craft here and here, another gunship here, a fallout mech here, and I'm sure if you looked you could find the dummy heavy mech, I can't recall what it was called. There are even MORE mechs and stuff in UNITEC. A lot of these mods are outdated, which can be a problem if you don't know your way around .inis and lua to convert them. See, almost every time CC is updated, it breaks functionality for legacy mods, which puts people off (including me).

There are also numerous mods that change the vanilla weapons and factions. You gotta

use the search function

to find them.

Hope this helped. :)

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 pm

I am completely aware of the mods, though thank you for informing me that the creator does not want online multiplayer. Shame, really. This game could have gone so, so far. In a way, it already has however. I have installed many mods, the Imperium mod being my favorite, but i wanted this stuff to be in the game by itself for newer customers. I've had the game long since before 1.0, but i've only made an account of the forums recently to make this post. The thing about this game is that only a niche audience can enjoy it in its current state, and considering the narrow-mindedness of gamers and reviewers today, that isn't going to change.

Too bad Data doesn't plan on adding an online multiplayer, and even worse that so few people get to play this awesome game.
And I know Data's pretty small, but that doesn't excuse that mods have to add a lot of stuff that the game really needs. They obviously have the talent, as this game is very impressive in many respects.

Oh, and thanks for trying to help me. I already knew about most of that stuff, but you did teach me a couple things, and i appreciate the thought.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

In that second statement-- about mods-- you can say that about the quake and source engine, and minecraft, no less.

It's capable, but it's not particularly amazing, and I really didn't like the shift between 26 and now.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 am

Yeah, I agree with you Foa. Had I found CC when it was v1.0, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much. In older builds the AI was bad, but it lent the feeling that they were being ordered by an enemy brain and it was easy to rack up huge numbers on the killcounter (which I sorely miss). Playing it now, it feels like each enemy actor isn't being sent orders, but is being directly controlled by the enemy brain. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the increased challenge hampers your ability to go all one-man-army and survive for more than a few minutes.

driecg36, I apologize - I thought you were new to CC. Seems to be a couple of times a year a new player comes and posts the same thoughts about multiplayer. It would be sweet, but the handling of mods and .ini modifying as cheating would be hard to corral. Not to mention keeping track of each pixel and making sure they display correctly on both screens (one pixel out of place could mean a round ricocheting on one user's computer, and the same round hitting its target on the other's). I'm not too knowledgeable about why it wouldn't work, but I'm sure Data has his reasons.
And yeah, I agree that CC doesn't get the credit it deserves. Only one of my friends ever wanted to play it split screen, and he's now at a different college hundreds of miles away. I visited last month, and we had perhaps the greatest gaming session ever, making it to wave 18 in Skirmish Wave; the emergence in that one game really reignited my interest in CC. Shame not too many people will get to see Cortex Command at its best, but what are you going to do?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:27 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I have to pretty much micro, and strongarm-hamfist it all to get along in any semblance of progress.

I need to get into scripts or something, since I am so damn bored.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:23 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

driecg36 wrote:
that the creator does not want online multiplayer. Shame, really.
iirc Data has said that he'd implement multiplayer, but the engine wasn't designed with it in mind and it'd require pretty much doing it all again in a more effective manner

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Great news! You just made my day. Good luck to you data, rebuilding this game is going to be a gargantuan task, but if you ask me, it's worth it.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

There's the CVE Proect, which probably is the most viable of these things.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]