View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What would YOU want to see in a potential CC sequel? 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: What would YOU want to see in a potential CC sequel?
Presumably in the Cave Vehicle Engine, they can use vehicles.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile WWW

More explosions.

Though I guess you could just mod that.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:17 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

halo117 wrote:
DarkDXZ wrote:
For all I care I want Data to make this. Just throw in more CC-esque content. (Free Trade stuff and all that)

That would be nice and all, but imagine the preferences how annoying it world be to have to buy a pack for every unit or else they'll only get the tactical pack, and imagine the uselessness of the packs if the enemy has a heavily guarded base.

The general concern would be "How heavy/inefficient is it if I don't specialize the backpack?"

Anyways, as far as anyone knows, CVE is probably going to be the basis of CC2.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:47 am

More art assets.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:52 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Foa wrote:
halo117 wrote:
DarkDXZ wrote:
For all I care I want Data to make this. Just throw in more CC-esque content. (Free Trade stuff and all that)

That would be nice and all, but imagine the preferences how annoying it world be to have to buy a pack for every unit or else they'll only get the tactical pack, and imagine the uselessness of the packs if the enemy has a heavily guarded base.

The general concern would be "How heavy/inefficient is it if I don't specialize the backpack?"

Anyways, as far as anyone knows, CVE is probably going to be the basis of CC2.

Miggles wrote:
i think data already said the first game they make in the CVE will be in the CC universe/a sequal to CC

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:54 am
Profile WWW

Anyways, it could be really fun with grapple + ski.
When have we even last heard any news about CVE, or anything for that matter? The only thing I'm seeing lately is the Twitter, but even that was over a month ago.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:30 am

@above: 1 month isn't really that long in DRL time wrt update delays.

Fwiw, I've heard that CVE was originally built around the idea of that blaster master metriodbioncitetribes mockup, and the little dude in game is even using a blaster master mockup sprite, so I think they're likely to head in that direction actually (fast little dudes jet-and-ski-and-grapple around the map and explode each other). Vechicles and giant mecha are also likely.

For a CC sequel I'd want more focus on actual gameplay, as contrary elaborated above. Making meaningful decisions, tactical plays to outdo your enemy, less hassle getting around, collisions between physical bodies that didn't blend one or the other of them... and a damage system that makes more gameplay sense.

I'm honestly keen to see what DRL comes up with outside of the box of CC, though I'd also be interested to see the CC universe explored a little more as well.

Last edited by Geti on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:44 pm
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
@above: 1 month isn't really that long in DRL time wrt update delays.

Fwiw, I've heard that CVE was originally built around the idea of that blaster master metriodbioncitetribes mockup, and the little dude in game is even using a blaster master mockup sprite, so I think they're likely to head in that direction actually (fast little dudes jet-and-ski-and-grapple around the map and explode each other). Vechicles and giant mecha are also likely.

For a CC sequel I'd want more focus on actual gameplay, as contrary elaborated above. Making meaningful decisions, tactical plays to outdo your enemy, getting around like a little bit less of a spastic, collisions between physical bodies that didn't blend one or the other of them... and a damage system that makes more gameplay sense.

I'm honestly keen to see what DRL comes up with outside of the box of CC, though I'd also be interested to see the CC universe explored a little more as well.

Remember that old fluff page, with stuff like Silver Banes (heavy Techion stuff), Coalition turrets, rockets and dropships, Mu-Ilaak and other shenanigans?
When it was supposed to be given an ACTUAL campaign mode?

Those were the days...
Oh, wait.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Geti wrote:
For a CC sequel I'd want more focus on actual gameplay, as contrary elaborated above. Making meaningful decisions, tactical plays to outdo your enemy

That's near impossible in a 2d sidescroller. I'd rather have hilarious physics.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:22 pm

If a sequel was made, I'd just want it to be what the first Cortex Command was supposed to be.

Rewrite the engine, eliminate the quirks, properly optimize it, make a real campaign. More gameplay mechanics than the guy with the bigger pew pew wins. Make the game's controls less unwieldy for new players. (Probably means rethinking actors, and how most of the game in general works.)

And also,
Geti wrote:
For a CC sequel I'd want more focus on actual gameplay, as contrary elaborated above. Making meaningful decisions, tactical plays to outdo your enemy, getting around like a little bit less of a spastic, collisions between physical bodies that didn't blend one or the other of them... and a damage system that makes more gameplay sense.

As it stands, Cortex Command right now is closer to a physics toy than a game. It isn't really playable and doesn't have very many interesting mechanics.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

no guys, see, this metagame thing hs so much replayability
i played it like, 7 times
7 whole times
ive played the mission "astro" more often than ive played the metagame
which is supposedly the new focus of the game
which i dont give a ♥♥♥♥ about
something tells me adding the metagame was less about replayability and more about laziness
people like tlb, weegee, etc who make actual missions. they are the best
basically i want actual missions that are planned out and hardcoded more than i want "lel kill some dudes and hit autobuild to win because its replayable and dynamic"

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

comham wrote:
lol? I've lived off the sales and community support of a 2D sidescroller with a competitive community (as well as the obligatory minecraft crowd when you have a game where you can break things). I don't think I've broken any laws of nature so far. Hilarious physics mix well with tactics; there are a lot of options because everything is reactive.

@MLC: indeed. I'll always have a soft spot for the "magic" of whatever the first build of CC I played was (19?) but ultimately it's always been a tinkering field for me. I'm still keen to see where it goes.

Re: hardcoded missions vs open ended stuff - I dunno what to think there. I feel like I'd want a mix. I've spent most of my CC "play time" (as opposed to time modding) in the old 6 minute skirmish, on prom grounds, in an open ended fight to defend by brain with no setup time. In a way, the situation is "hardcoded" because its the same situation every time, but the random factor of the old bots, dropship doors and what actor I decided to go with for initial order meant it could play out enough ways to keep me interested. Did the same thing with friends sometimes, but we usually found it more fun to co-op swap on death than actually try to kill each other, what with it being pretty easy to abuse the physics to win quickly (especially on prom grounds, one heavy digger maaaan).

I know I'd like less bland skirmish maps than exist in the current CC version, haha.

I enjoyed speedrunning zombie cave when it came out, partly cause that ♥♥♥♥ is pretty.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Geti wrote:
comham wrote:
lol? I've lived off the sales and community support of a 2D sidescroller with a competitive community (as well as the obligatory minecraft crowd when you have a game where you can break things). I don't think I've broken any laws of nature so far. Hilarious physics mix well with tactics; there are a lot of options because everything is reactive.

And this is there Era in which you have to tout the word "PHYSICS" in every game to get a good review.
Also, that is forgetting things like Saints Row, and Half Life.

Also Geti, I'm the person that likes to throw charged catapults, loaded with knights. You have no idea how fun it is.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 am

Geti wrote:
comham wrote:

I haven't played your game, but I retract my statement.

CC to me is a physics toy with a bit of direction, and that's what I'd like to see in a sequel, basically. CC-as-terraria. Physics toys without direction are a bit lame, they don't have the sticking power. Games that don't let you play with their physics are a wasted opportunity as well. CC is a nice middleground.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 pm

A sequel? I'd like to see the first one get finished first. Or at least for the source code to be released.
The game's an unfinished mess at this point. Abandoning it as it is right right now is like pissing on the fans.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next