View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Translations? 

Post Translations?
Of all the games out there, Cortex Command's lack of vocals and "static" (unlike something like Dwarf Fortress) item names and descriptions makes it technically really easy and fun to translate.

Only two things that are missing to make such thing happen:
- foreign fonts support - Russian, Polish, Japanese and even Scandinavian languages all have those very unique symbols and letters that are not currently supported in CC.
- un-hardcoded text - or in Dwarf Fortress terms, raw-ified terms (since DF uses what is called RAW-type files with values and stuff) where all the descriptions, names and other texts (tutorial text, intro text) are "softcoded" into files where they can be edited and therefore translated.

I'm doing this because I'm a native Polish speaker and a fairly fluent English speaker as well, so translating the game into Polish would be definitely something I'd like to do at some point in the hopefully-near future.
(although now that the game's on Steam it's up to the Translation Teams to do it, which I don't belong to)

Anyone?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Post Re: Translations?
Actually, some guys from dat ol' Russian forum translated the game into Russian. The used empty spaces in text bmps filling them with russian symbols. Problems were, when writing a description or naming an actor, for example, they had to use some weird ascii symbols in the ini instead of just simply writing in russian. Also, some parts are hardcoded, like names of the buttons in the pie-menu and other stuff, so they had to hack the exe file to translate those things, and that is illegal, of course. Still, for most part all things are in the ini-files, like main menu or descriptions. If only Dan had added a little bit more possibilities for localization, that would be even easier and, what is most important, that would be legal when they don't have to hack the executable. The guy that did it was some crazy dude, he managed to make a complete localization possible... Shame Dan doesn't give a ♥♥♥♥ about his game anymore, there are so many wonderful things that could have become a reality, and he just killed it all. That means there won't be any good way to translate the game other than ♥♥♥♥ with the stuff I mentioned and hacking into those damn hardcoded things in the exe. What a shame.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:30 pm
Profile ICQ

Mad Alex wrote:
Actually, some guys from dat ol' Russian forum translated the game into Russian. The used empty spaces in text bmps filling them with russian symbols. Problems were, when writing a description or naming an actor, for example, they had to use some weird ascii symbols in the ini instead of just simply writing in russian. Also, some parts are hardcoded, like names of the buttons in the pie-menu and other stuff, so they had to hack the exe file to translate those things, and that is illegal, of course. Still, for most part all things are in the ini-files, like main menu or descriptions. If only Dan had added a little bit more possibilities for localization, that would be even easier and, what is most important, that would be legal when they don't have to hack the executable. The guy that did it was some crazy dude, he managed to make a complete localization possible... Shame Dan doesn't give a ♥♥♥♥ about his game anymore, there are so many wonderful things that could have become a reality, and he just killed it all. That means there won't be any good way to translate the game other than ♥♥♥♥ with the stuff I mentioned and hacking into those damn hardcoded things in the exe. What a shame.

Well, fisrt of all, using "illegal" and "Russia" in the same phrase form a paradoxal situation.
And I don't really think Dan simply gave up and "stop giving a ♥♥♥♥ about his game", maybe he just didn't have time or money, things like that.
But I guess only the developers are allowed to translate the game to other languages, because, as Alex said, the Russians had to get into the .exe file to change what was written in the pie menu.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:14 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Dan has said in the past that he doesn't mind people fiddling with his program too much btw.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]