View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is anyone still playing? Is CC still being worked on? 

Post Is anyone still playing? Is CC still being worked on?
The subject literally is what i'm asking. I've been playing the game for a while and still play periodically. But it's becoming bland with no new content, no word from the developer, the famous mod makers aren't making mods any longer, and the developer didn't even respond to me about updates, or if i could help work on the game. Does anyone else feel this way? I'd really love to see this game prosper and get more well known, but that isn't possible with no further devlopment.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Post Re: Is anyone still playing? Is CC still being worked on?
I'm a non-famous mod maker and still play and mod the game.

The forum is mostly used for the off-topic section at the moment though.

I don't think the game is being officially worked on anymore. Data made a mistake (but also money) by releasing the game on steam. A lot of hate was received afterwards.

I guess some people have their hopes up for open source, otherwise the game is going nowhere.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Game's still being worked on.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:36 pm

I thought data had that other planet-game to work on?

Either way, I'm not seeing much progress.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 pm

The bot that posts svn updates to the twitter feed no longer works.

The new build hasn't been released yet so you haven't seen it yet of course.

Data's still working on CC.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Oh right. I thought I already knew that.

So when's the update?

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Unfortunately I can't answer that one with anything more specific than "soon."

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Can you tell us what will be in the patch? Just bugfixes or new content? What about engine changes? Will stuff like the scrap issue ever be fixed? Or beter yet, will we ever get a working AddSceneObject function for lua?

We've had a year of "Yes, Data is still working on it, just very, very slowly"....

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:56 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
Unfortunately I can't answer that one with anything more specific than "soon."

I am quite intrigued at the idea that a new build will be released soon.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

clunatic wrote:
Can you tell us what will be in the patch? Just bugfixes or new content? What about engine changes? Will stuff like the scrap issue ever be fixed? Or beter yet, will we ever get a working AddSceneObject function for lua?

This made me curious. What is wrong with AddSceneObject and what do you want to do with it?

There is some new content but mostly bug-fixes and polishing so far, btw.

Edit: and what is "the scrap issue". Data did some work on scrap a few builds ago i think.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Any word on if the map seam bug is finally gone? Or any kind of solution for the MOID limit issues?

Also, is there anywhere to find the SVN logs that the Twitter bot couldn't post, or were there also no logs after it broke?

On the topic of the Steam release though, I get the feeling the main reason it got so much hate is that most of the Steam userbase is just "average Joe" gamers who don't really have the time or patience to get the hang of a more complex game like CC.

Most of the reviews that popped up after the review feature was added just had complaints like "It runs slow on my junky laptop", or "My little robot man is too wobbly".

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:18 pm

AddSceneObject simply doesn't work. At least I've never been able to get it to work and I keep coming across old forum posts that say it doesn't work. If it's supposed to work, could you share the syntax?

I'm trying to create random bunkers, in that you place down a brain room and it automatically constructs random tunnels towards the surface. Using MOSRotatings to first clear the terrain and then settle in a tunnel configuration sorta works, it's just that a working AddSceneObject would make it much easier.

The IsScrap issue is that any terrain pixel that doesn't have a background behind it gets treated as scrap regardless of whether IsScrap is set to 0 or 1 in the material.

Here's a quick gif illustrating the problem:http://postimg.org/image/oyf4anx4j/
You can clearly see how the lower half of the wall (the half that has a background) is normal concrete and doesn't get destroyed when shot. The upper half (without background) gets treated as scrap and gets destroyed very quickly.

So any kind of above ground, lua based construction (a tool that lets you build walls, or a bunker that you order that falls from the sky for instance) is rendered useless, because all the terrain gets treated as scrap.

Fixing either the IsScrap or the AddSceneObject issues would mean a lot more neat and interesting stuff would be possible.

Edit:Actually fixing the AddSceneObject would also solve the IsScrap issue, since then you'd just be able to spawn objects with a background directly through lua, rather than faffing around with MOSRotatings that settle into terrain. So, yeah, Data, please fix the AddSceneObject function! If you can't do that, please fix the IsScrap issue! If you can't do that, well, then I'll be a sad panda..

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Data made a workaround for the IsScrap issue a while back. Try adding the property SettleMaterialDisabled = 1 in the ini and see if that helps.

I will have investigate more before I can say anything about AddSceneObject.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Hmm, that doesn't seem to work. Here's the code to the MOSRotating used in the gif:

It still treats pixels without a background as scrap. I also tried adding the SettleMaterialDisabled to the material definition and under AtomGroup, but that just give me a "could not match property" error. Is it supposed to go under the MOSRotating definition, or what? Because that definitely doesn't work, but it's the only place I could put it without CC crashing.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:43 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

I did my test on the Digger magazines and it seemed to work ok since it was possible to walk on the discarded mag that had SettleMaterialDisabled=1. Like this:

Perhaps the MO need a deepgroup?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next