View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 CC Build 30 Info: Lua Draw Functions 

Post Re: CC Build 30 Info: More Squad Mechanics!
4zK wrote:
Will there ever be custom AI actions for more complex weapons like the remote explosive?

The AI is a bit clumsy with grenades in general, too. In most situations won't even change to grenade when losing it's primary weapon.

Oh, and while you're still at it;

Having the AI use more complex weaponry would be difficult, and would also require the AI to be able to know where to use certain things, like placement of mines and such.

Contrary wrote:
Any plans for command groups like in RTSes? If this is going to get all tactical we'll need to be able to manage our forces more smoothly.

No plans for this yet, but issues like how to fit it into a control scheme that works for all control types will be a challenge.

Foa wrote:
To generalize the above: "Will there be a way to set hotkeys to switch to \x\ actor"

There is already one for the brain actor (tap both quick keys)
A meta-game concern would be: "This may make keyboards very preferential to controllers"
  • (This may be as minor/ignorable as the scroll wheel vs. controllers when changing weapons)
An ergonomic concern would be: "How would one reasonably map the hotkeys? Let alone designating them?"
  • If I recall, holding a quick switch button, and moving with the directional keys activates the drag select.

Would "Hold switch button + pie menu button" be a reasonable fit?
(Adding more contexts within control space is weird, and could eventually broach Konjak's level of sophistication)

Good explanation with the issues with squad hotkeys.

4zK wrote:
Also, what exactly are these fresh icons that were mentioned a while ago?

Probably the pie menu icons for the form squad feature.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: CC Build 30 Info: More Squad Mechanics!
I just want fighting against ai isn't so suicidal, and that defending with ai isn't so suicidal.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:56 am

Post Re: CC Build 30 Info: Lua Draw Functions
Drawing stuff with Lua!

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:37 pm

Looking really snazzy! Basic Drawing functions will enable some really trippy dynamics effects.

Any thought given to the Y-Loop? Having smooth camera motions with a reliable seam could make some interesting maps.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:18 am
Profile WWW

Neat new functions. I do kinda feel bad for Weegee, he put a lot of time and effort into making UI stuff for his mods, which are now pretty much obsolete.

Anyway, I saw this tweet: "CCData: Fresh exe and updated activities with tech selection in scenario setup UI" and I was wondering how that's going to work, especially with mods. It's kinda related to my latest lua question, is there a way to get the names of all the current modules loaded? Without a method to do that, I'm guessing tech selection will be limited to whatever is listed in constants.lua?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:58 pm

clunatic wrote:
Neat new functions. I do kinda feel bad for Weegee, he put a lot of time and effort into making UI stuff for his mods, which are now pretty much obsolete.

I am p. sure weegee is the reason the draw functions exist now.

Draw functions look neat for crosshair/HUD purposes too. Will probably look into using them instead of glows for the 40K recomp missiles.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:08 pm
Profile YIM

clunatic wrote:
I was wondering how that's going to work, especially with mods.

Probably the same way as always, by reading all module names that end with "Tech".

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Yeah it works absolutely the same way as in meta game, it scans for Tech in module name and adds everything to combo box. You select Techs for every team, or -All- if you want to fight random actors from all Techs simultaneously.

Then you access those values via Activity:Get/SetTeamTech(team). And after that create troops via RandomACDropShip, RandomAHuman, RandomACrab etc.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that and it changes things :shock:. That's a pretty major improvement to custom activities. No more jumping through hoops to add a faction selection, halleluja!

How will it work with activities that have locked factions? If team 2 always has to be AI and ronin, for instance, will modders be able to lock the faction selection box, like they can with the team selection?

Again and I can't say this enough: Loving this upcoming patch and especially all the information you devs have been feeding us humble consumers with.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:27 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

You can't lock factions in UI, but just like with difficulty levels it's totally up to you if you're going to read those tech selections and use them, or make a Ronin vs Coalition only scenario.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Wow, things have changed a lot around here :grin:. Long strides since B23 and 24.

And congrats to weegee and Abdul Alhazred on becoming pat of the dev team! I hear CaveCricket48 is up there too! I'm know I'm probably a little late to the party on this, but it's all news to me right now :P.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:39 am

weegee wrote:
Yeah it works absolutely the same way as in meta game, it scans for Tech in module name and adds everything to combo box. You select Techs for every team, or -All- if you want to fight random actors from all Techs simultaneously.

Then you access those values via Activity:Get/SetTeamTech(team). And after that create troops via RandomACDropShip, RandomAHuman, RandomACrab etc.

This gets me thinking. Is it possible to have more than one CPU team at once? Like this:

Removing them could even be a case of clicking the CPU icon on that team again.

Apologies if I'm sounding like an idiot, I definitely feel like one! :P

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:43 am
Profile WWW

zalo wrote:
Looking really snazzy! Basic Drawing functions will enable some really trippy dynamics effects.

Any thought given to the Y-Loop? Having smooth camera motions with a reliable seam could make some interesting maps.

How would that work with crafts, though?

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:39 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

omegadrace wrote:
This gets me thinking. Is it possible to have more than one CPU team at once? Like this:

Removing them could even be a case of clicking the CPU icon on that team again.

Apologies if I'm sounding like an idiot, I definitely feel like one! :P

Considering the AI already do this, with the metagame when you have multiple enemy factions and you end up in a battle vs two different CPU factions, then yeah this is possible.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Activities with multiple teams are certainly possible, but will the team/faction selection screen support them?

On that matter, will there be new activities in the update? A simple 4 player brain vs brain vs brain vs brain? :grin:

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next