View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Steam Achievements for CC? 
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Steam Achievements for CC?
Hi guys! I'm new to the CC dev team, and I've come to ask you guys a question:

If Cortex Command had 'achievements' on steam, which would you like to see implemented? It's something we'd really like to add, and your suggestions would really help us form out list of possibles!

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Post Re: Steam Achievements for CC?
Just posting to say that he's legit.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:12 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

For the most part, there isn't much sense in achievement for Corex Command, and mods can make the game a very different beast than it actually is.

As far as anything, maybe succeeding, or lasting very long at difficult skirmish activities could be something.
Maybe winning a few meta-game campaigns... I don't know. A lot of the cool things come from modded cortex command, and facing ridiculous odds, like ronins versus infinite browncoats (like in weegee's Tartarus), or fighting WH40k mod.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:42 pm
happy carebear mom

• Ordered a rocket full of crabs
  • Played the game for more than half an hour
  • Completed one metagame campaign
  • Used one of every actor
  • Killed an actor with a rocket (not a dropship)
  • Abducted an actor with a dropship
My suggestions.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 am

I think you should come up with funny names for achievements first, then figure out what the requirements will be.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:21 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Contrary wrote:
I think you should come up with funny names for achievements first, then figure out what the requirements will be.

(You have no idea how hard this needs to happen.)
Crab Bombing is one, that's generally done by overloading the 256 moid limit.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:47 am
happy carebear mom

Duh102 wrote:
  • Crab Overload: Ordered a rocket full of crabs
  • Above-Average Attention Span: Played the game for more than half an hour
  • Way Above-Average Attention Span: Completed one metagame campaign
  • Body Collector: Used one of every actor
  • Cost-Effective Strategies: Killed an actor with a rocket (not a dropship)
  • Refund, Please: Abducted an actor with a dropship
My suggestions.

My suggestions with names.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:34 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Shadow Achievement: Voodoo Magic- Seam-Gib Bug.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:25 am

How exactly are you planning on configuring all of the achievements? Surely it's only limited to things that can be read properly. Is there any way of detecting an actor getting killed by something specific?

also;

• Architect: Place 100 bunker pieces in building mode.
  • Overload!: Reach MOID limit.
  • Blitzkrieg: Order 5 craft at once.
  • Docking: Park a craft at a craft dock.
  • Debugger: Open the lua console ingame.
  • Error! (x_x): Obtain the abortscreen.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Modern Man: Install ten mods.
Brain Dead: Kill your own brain.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:08 am

I think drop crate nuke should be an achievement.

BURN BABY BURN! (Lame name i know): Order a drop crate loaded with 20 napalm bombs.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 am

A thousand to one - survive a crash with a dropship carrying your brain.
A million to one - survive a dropship exploding just above your brain.
Not so easy win - Abducted a brainbot with a rocket.
Hello again, old friends - Find and activate the no longer in use (buyable=0) weapons and use each to kill a brain.
One Brain Army - Complete a metagame battle using only your brainbot.

and a slightly trickier achievement:
Overloaded?! - reach double the normal MOID limit.

Also, now would be the perfect time to bury some easteregg deep within the darkest nethers of unused base content and have a secret achievement (as in, no hint text) that requires you find it.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Achievements for killing an enemy with your own gibs, a limbless actor and a dropship door sent flying across the map are a must.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:24 am

I hate to post offtopic but really I'd prefer if the MOID limit bug were fixed rather than rewarding people for breaking the game.

With that said though - I have no idea how it could be fixed without breaking that sense of being able to spam anything in large quantities.

For those that don't know about the MOID bug, it basically starts shutting down the AI on AHumans and certain attachables (like doors) and makes them invincible until you clear some Actors (objects, beings, etc.) from your scene. It's not so bad but it is kind of annoying when you run into it.

A brief story about one encounter with the bug:

While it's rare that this would happen in most modes with objectives (because then a more concise plan could be devised where less spam is created) it still has some problems like:

1) I could see this being a very big problem if the game were ever going to have a proper multiplayer, and so putting an achievement prematurely IMPO may doom this game from ever having a proper multiplayer.

2) Other run-ins with the MOID bug are like... dropping 300+ bombs on an actor with a scuttled drop pod. What happens is that the MOID of the bombs take the priority of the objects (movable object actors) that are able to function, so the actor you were trying to destroy becomes invincible and ends up unscathed (at least, for a while anyways).

Of course though, MP could have it's own limits - but that would require dev time, so I'll put it this way

I'd rather the devs focus their time on things that make this game better in the long run - either this game or Planetoid Pioneers - because I think that adding achievements will make this game too defined as 'complete' when so much more could be done with it. Esp. multiplayer.

However, I've come to see that most people seem to only want this game as SP... and I'm not sure why you'd ever only want to fight the AI - especially when the AI is this bad, and when so many possibilities could take shape in MP. SP is fine and all but seriously the ability to get factions from all sorts of universes into one game that is as awesome as CC is - why ruin it with just SP? TBH I think Planetoid Pioneers could be even better, too, and I'm definitely watching it but the advent of achievements (in CC) bothers me a lot.. because people usually don't ACHIEVE them anyways, they cheat and exploit and get their friends to do it anyways. They are the worst thing that has happened to games in the past decade.

This was a bit ranty, but I don't know where else to put this. I have other ideas too but without MP this game is honestly starting to bore me. I'd help excel this game but without any shred of programming knowledge I'm afraid all I can really do is make suggestions - this one being to leave achievements until the game is 'Complete'. I'm not abandoning the game, but I'd rather play something where I can fight a real human like CS, KAG, NS, SC, and a number of other games that at least have LAN functionality so you can't see your opponent's screen (and can play at a net cafe). MOID bug or not actually, because it adds to the hilarity between friends anyways.

In fact, I wouldn't mind just LAN capability as it is now. Is it really that hard to implement? (Not rhetorical, I'm being completely serious).

I would hate to see this game as SP only for the rest of it's builds... Who the hell wants to face AI unless the AI are BEAST? (A game that comes to mind is unreal tournament 2k4 on Godlike bots, however CC has dynamics that could even push that... like being able to drop crates or rockets on you and stuff).

[/completely off topic and borderline infraction-al rant]

I apologize for how off topic this is but had to get that off my chest. Seriously, what does an achievement get people? 10ms of enjoyment? Stupid.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:21 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

As it turns out, the content devs for CC are just that, and as far as I know, are completely separate the C2D, and the PP Dev Teams.
Data runs around between them. Maybe the artists on the CC Team help with other things.
But the rest is not known to me.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next