View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:13 pm



Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 suggestion for B30 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:30 am
Posts: 853
Location: Auckland, NZ
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
What he means is, the BG hand is currently in front of the FG hand.
Things drawn first appear behind things drawn afterwards in CC's engine.


Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:02 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:20 pm
Posts: 19
Location: Japan, Ninja's den
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
Major wrote:
What he means is, the BG hand is currently in front of the FG hand.
Things drawn first appear behind things drawn afterwards in CC's engine.

thanks for explanation of my post.
i mean it.
if you using pistols, you will see BG hand on pistol grip. not the FG hand, it is the odd thing.


Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:28 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am
Posts: 911
Location: No Comment.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
I'm going to assume this is a semi official thread suggestion thread.. just a few suggestions.

1. running environment so that you'll have the ability to run older mods in the current version
2. downgrade your cortex command to older versions if the first suggestion cannot be done for whatever reason.


Fri May 09, 2014 5:30 pm
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:01 am
Posts: 6211
Location: In your office, earning your salary.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
...why downgrade the game to play older mods instead of upgrading old mods to work with the current version?

Like, you are choosing the hardest way out.


Sat May 10, 2014 4:58 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am
Posts: 911
Location: No Comment.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
Asklar wrote:
...why downgrade the game to play older mods instead of upgrading old mods to work with the current version?

Why bother to add a running environment you say? Why bother to do anything at all? haven't you seen the amount of posts on old mods asking for upgrades to the current version because author no longer has time or is missing in action? wouldn't it be better if the game just had a running environment to allow theses people whom aren't verses in scripting and probably never will be to just be able to run theses mods in their game without annoying you with requests to update it.

its just too much work to update all the mods.. i have a few dozen from just B23 alone that probably never see an update and whats worst is that their links download links on the forum are now broken.

Asklar wrote:
Like, you are choosing the hardest way out.

Please do explain in your opinion why would it be so hard to implement??


Sat May 10, 2014 12:15 pm
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:01 am
Posts: 6211
Location: In your office, earning your salary.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
Because updating old mod is generally fixing some dependencies. When it comes to fixing a script, it shouldn't be too much of a job, unless it's something big and complex but that's not an extremely common case.

Plus devs probably have some other things to worry about like fixing the remaining bugs and things like that, it's extra job that isn't that much important I'd guess.


Sat May 10, 2014 8:51 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am
Posts: 911
Location: No Comment.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
Asklar wrote:
Because updating old mod is generally fixing some dependencies. When it comes to fixing a script, it shouldn't be too much of a job, unless it's something big and complex but that's not an extremely common case.

Plus devs probably have some other things to worry about like fixing the remaining bugs and things like that, it's extra job that isn't that much important I'd guess.


if we are taking opinions i'd rather forgot about the bugs because "engine limitations" and then focus on them or even flooding the game with more content and completing some of those wonderful factions.

another thing i wouldn't mind which i have bough up is maybe a little more open to the source, similar to minecraft because it would then allow the modding community or whats left of it to rewrite things and make improvements to the game that maybe even could be incorporate into the game but that will probably never happen..


Sat May 10, 2014 11:01 pm
Profile
happy carebear mom
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am
Posts: 7094
Location: b8bbd5
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
Minecraft modding has always been unofficial and unsupported, also somewhat illegal. Minecraft mods rely on decompiled sources of the game engine (server and client) which (if Mojang decided they wanted to, which they've stated they do not) could be prosecuted under DMCA since it is obfuscated. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same thing to Cortex, it's just a lot easier for Minecraft modders as decompiled Java is a lot more readable than decompiled C/C++.


Sun May 11, 2014 4:19 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am
Posts: 911
Location: No Comment.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
Duh102 wrote:
Minecraft modding has always been unofficial and unsupported, also somewhat illegal. Minecraft mods rely on decompiled sources of the game engine (server and client) which (if Mojang decided they wanted to, which they've stated they do not) could be prosecuted under DMCA since it is obfuscated. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same thing to Cortex, it's just a lot easier for Minecraft modders as decompiled Java is a lot more readable than decompiled C/C++.


i was under the impression to decompile c++ you would need to be on the same computer as it was compile on, as for legal just running your computer is technically breaking several laws in regards to copyright and a few others because your running several copys of a single program just it isn't enforced because its ridiculous to even attempt and has been like that since the dawn or close..

edit

this is something I have been told by duh is impossible because of the "engine limitations" but still this would be nice to see in the distant furture and that is being able to deploy a dreadnought or gattling turret with another weapon.. in my mind it would be best to instead of turning the existing verison into this but rather create a MK2 without a gun which then implys that this ability is new?

this would mean you would be able to deploy dreadnoughts and Gattling with a range of tools and weapons from RPGs to Heavy Scanners.


Sun May 11, 2014 12:36 pm
Profile
happy carebear mom
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am
Posts: 7094
Location: b8bbd5
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
To distribute your modded copy of Cortex you'd have to either distribute the modded executable or a patcher to make the required changes, both of which would be visible and definitely actionable.
Decompiling C++ would give you back either the assembly code or a best-guess interpretation of the C++ code, it is not required to have the computer it was compiled on.


Sun May 11, 2014 8:51 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am
Posts: 911
Location: No Comment.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
Duh102 wrote:
To distribute your modded copy of Cortex you'd have to either distribute the modded executable or a patcher to make the required changes, both of which would be visible and definitely actionable.
Decompiling C++ would give you back either the assembly code or a best-guess interpretation of the C++ code, it is not required to have the computer it was compiled on.

it sounded so much easier when i posted this.. moving into territory that is beyond me but could be done with packages? as in those would be loaded first then the vanilla engine as so the packages that you've added would overwrite vanilla limitations but this would still require a live editor along with something to pack theses packages and small rewrite of the game..

I don't know i'm sure someone will have a better idea.


Sun May 11, 2014 9:14 pm
Profile
happy carebear mom
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am
Posts: 7094
Location: b8bbd5
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
At the end of the day, no matter what system you implement, you'd need to decompile the game at some point to implement your system. A package system would need some support to load the packages into the code in the first place, a simple patch would require knowing where to put the new instructions, etc.
I don't know how likely it is that Data would allow someone else to look around in the source for the things necessary to implement dreadnaughts using different weapons (maybe under an NDA and volunteer contract), but that seems like it'd be easier than trying to decompile and also get around the legal hurdles.


Sun May 11, 2014 11:37 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am
Posts: 911
Location: No Comment.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
Duh102 wrote:
At the end of the day, no matter what system you implement, you'd need to decompile the game at some point to implement your system. A package system would need some support to load the packages into the code in the first place, a simple patch would require knowing where to put the new instructions, etc.
I don't know how likely it is that Data would allow someone else to look around in the source for the things necessary to implement dreadnaughts using different weapons (maybe under an NDA and volunteer contract), but that seems like it'd be easier than trying to decompile and also get around the legal hurdles.


i'd assume there would be a legally binding agreement like every game company does, you know the times that try to kinda screw you over and then the developer still has the heart to say we are a good developer aren't like those other ones.. then again its what a 10 year project? I'm sure the technology is out of date.

edit

found this on the Russian forums and i think without a doubt it should be part of the vanilla game.
http://cortexcommandru.3dn.ru/forum/61-2200-1

Image


Mon May 12, 2014 12:26 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am
Posts: 911
Location: No Comment.
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
I hate doing double post..

Anyway, Its apparent since i started playing this game that we need classification for craft and a change to inventory.

Now Gunship and Bomber Classification what are they? simply they are just a craft without a inventory or in the case of a bomber can only load bombs. Why can't we just use a normal ship? you can but the game AI can't which means you'll be deploying your bombs in a normal dropship and then you'll see a gunship explode and suddenly have actors raining down on your base and your dropship..

Now imagine for a second that the AI could send a gunship or bomber and not be able to pack it full of actors wouldn't that be better for overall gameplay??


Thu May 15, 2014 11:09 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:04 am
Posts: 52
Reply with quote
Post Re: suggestion for B30
That door is nice, but I noticed using it in my game kills the FPS like no other. Not sure why, but it does. Anyone else get that?


Thu May 15, 2014 11:54 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.023s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]