View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Mundane made Awesome 

Post Mundane made Awesome
I realize that most of the time in Cortex command, your forts are built for short term survival than long term functionality. But, recently I started working on a custom scene, I wanted to make a sufficiently large complicated bunker to siege, but I also wanted to make it look like a permanent installation that serves a purpose beyond swift mining and emergency shelter.

To figure out how to work this, I loaded up the base in the Test activity, cleared out all the actors, and made an attempt to populate and set up all the units straight from ships, then I simulated some normal base activities that might occur in a base when it isn't under siege by every faction under the sun.

What I found out about my base and some screenshots

1: I can't design for ****

For the life of me I can't figure out what this hatch was supposed to be for, I think it was to receive orbital drop pods, but as it turns out there is a balcony over hanging it. It isn't impossible to use, you just need to fly a drop pod around a corner to drop things off at the lower level. Really its not as bad as my driveway but still, what the heck me?

2: Shipping is Serious Business

I expected this to happen much sooner really, I handed control of the rockets to the AI and it pulled off a successful landing and take off. Look away to check some other stuff and this happens.

3: Pulse diggers are amazing Mops

Look at that texture, the digger doesn't even touch the pristine concrete underneath the rubble, pulse digger is a must have for debris removal. I wonder if they can be used to clean silverware...

4: Routine Maitenance

well, that looks slightly awkward, as you can see most of the floor has been replaced with spray concrete because heavy actors will eventually wear through everything when patrolling. I look forward to assemblies which will hopefully allow for a smoother replacement of worn materials.

5: Medbay

In normal play I don't think the med-bot is worth the money, most fleshy actors don't survive long enough to actually be healed. However, Engineering accidents, long falls, and shrapnel damage from exploding craft is mostly repairable and a medbay may actually be desirable. Replace with storage on a mech faction.
I did realize that there wasn't a proper room for a medbay, this room is ill suited because of how difficult it is to access it.

In Conclusion
While this base is still a pretty good bunker, throwing a hanger on top does not help to make it livable for everyday tasks, Also the two shafts leading to and from the hanger could have benefited from a elevator or conveyor system.

Anyone else ever mess around roleplaying a mundane day at the base? I find it kinda relaxing.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:22 am

Post Re: Mundane made Awesome
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=45540

These modules will wear down a lot less from the actors walking around, and can be cleaned with a medium digger instead of a pulse digger.

I had made more sprites for it but was too lazy to implement them (doors, platforms that only come out for teammates, larger rooms and bunker bits).

They also allow for interesting plays like ricochet shots.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]