View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 LORE 

Post Re: LORE
A full campaign is perfectly doable without any engine changes (albeit a pain in the ass).
Saving and loading a lot of complex information has been shown completely doable by weegee in a bunch of his stuff, tlb's prison escape episode 3 showed the potential for crazy bossfights, cutscenes, conversational dialogue, etc.

The only thing that would really need engine changes is giving it a proper button and things like that.

That said, it would also be a huge amount of work.

As far as how the story goes, I may be remembering wrong but I thought you were supposed to be an independent brain and you picked a faction to align with partway through?

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Just want to make my stance clear on a few things before diving into the meat of this post. I am trying to reconcile the old lore and campaign with the new "factions lore" and metagame. as it was, I never really liked the ronins as a "ragtag group of bandits" partially because having 12 Dafreds on screen really broke the uniqueness effect. However as an organization that sells wares that looks like a ragtag group of bandits, THAT makes sense. Its like a clothing company selling ripped jeans to appeal to the cool kids. The ancient weaponry, the varied faces, the badass hair, the ronin tech is trying to appeal to the action hero fan in every young brain. The rest of the faction-> tech lore is pretty much 100% compatible. Ronins are the only oddballs.

TLDR; I like old lore and new lore and would like to see them together in harmony

Bad Boy wrote:
tlb's prison escape episode 3 showed the potential for crazy bossfights, cutscenes, conversational dialogue, etc.

correkt wrote:
"hero" actors with names and backstory like they do in games such as Age of Empires.

while this stuff is true, I don't know if it appropriate for a game like cortex command. Hero Units would either be too powerful and be capable of soloing missions, or too weak and just sit on the sidelines the entire time. now NPC hero's such as Uzira are a different story. Eh, maybe I am overestimating the oddness of controlling a character that should technically have a mind of its own.

Bad Boy wrote:
That said, it would also be a huge amount of work.

Yes and No, a lot of the basic ideas have already been made. all cortex command "missions" can fall into categories that there are already examples of.
Examples of mission categories

Bad Boy wrote:
As far as how the story goes, I may be remembering wrong but I thought you were supposed to be an independent brain and you picked a faction to align with partway through?

This could be the case, but that does bring to mind some other question. How does an independent brain get bodies? are they stuck with culled clones? Do they have to pay raised prices or deal with limited shopping options? or do we need to expand free trade with a genuine and not terrible AHuman. Secondly, if you pick a side, what does that change? do you have to assault the coalition instead of the dummies? (maginot mission in reverse would be cool, especially if there were alternate endings depending on if the brain escaped)

I seem to remember WAAAAAAY back in B23, when you completed the missions it would make the next one appear on the map. Is there any of that code left? can we still have unlock able scenarios?

:Edit Formatted for slightly less wall of text of doom. sorry for the megapost.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:32 am

I'm not gonna talk about the story and fluff part of that post cause I'm going to bed, but regarding difficulty, sure, if you want generic missions that are bland and uninteresting you can copy them and change a bit of stuff, but I've made enough missions to know that it's not really that easy. One straightforward mission can be 500 - 1000 lines of lua (which isn't really a huge amount of code), and more importantly a Lot of playtesting and tweaking and so on. A string of missions put together in a campaign would increase that amount significantly, and would need saving and loading and all the other user friendly stuff, so believe me, it wouldn't be easy.
It's doable and I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun, but it'll be a lot of work too.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:14 am

There is something about this thread can work in concept and execution, yet it may need a ground in the current state of things.

The lengthy examples of the Bunker Breaches, Mehman's Lab Exploration, and Weegee's efforts have provided quite the water to that well. Meaning could we endure the work effort/content interest commitment considering other sources have tapped deep sortie and have put in play for those as well? Do we want to rehash the mode of modding and play that already has taken base?

The forum's content as the other aspect of CC that It was meant to have. Thus playing out that aspect expands the scope further that the scripted story can reach. So a simple perspective as a solution: consider the lore as a history that has happened and work from there. To develop play for those events alone I think is a time and effort sink - again given the nods, mods, and game modes.

Working with the current state of thing feels more rewarding personally.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2