View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LORE 

Post LORE
there was a thread for this somewhere but this is another one yeah?

So, I took my time to read through Arne's backstory for CC and felt like taking notes on possible future story campaign.

EDIT: ♥♥♥♥ man, sorry for sharing ideas

Last edited by 4zK on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:55 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: LORE
What's exactly the point of this thread? A friendly conversation about the world or Cortex Command? Or a way to start designing and organizing our own unofficial linear campaign?

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Friendly conversation

Who am I to tell if there's a story or not

EDIT: Fine, these will be my personal opinions then

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:10 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Hm, never intended to offend any of those, just wanted some clarification.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:21 pm

I was offended nonetheless

Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:21 pm

I always forget about the giant space amoeba's, there might actually be some potential there for a kind of wave defense scenario. I remember one of the mod packs has a "plasma zombie" that generates a glowy mass around itself and flies, a space amoeba could be created by tweaking the arrangement of glowy bits and making the core a gooey mass.

the other big bit of the campaign that was quite cool was Uzira, one of the few that couldn't really transition to the existing meta game very well. Because Uzira isn't a brain it a jar it wouldn't make much sense to play her as a brain bot. besides being a brain bot would severely limit her opportunities to be a badass in combat. However just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean it shouldn't be playable. one thing about cortex command that is kinda good/kinda bad is that there isn't any progression. Aside from achievements there is no secret unlock able content. It would be cool if there was an additional non-tech faction (not usable in campaign mode as a faction, but like a general catalog available after you unlocked it) labled something appropriate like "Special Content" or "Story Stuff" and it would include assets that aren't normally available. Stuff like the control chip case, zombie cloners, bomb deployers, mother crab, the crab hive.

On other news, can someone update the fluff page, even if most of the content has been dropped I'd rather see actual images over broken images and the art was very good.

kind of reminds me of Peach Class actually (artist that did Megaman Zero series)

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:11 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

4zK, I am really sorry about that. I have a copy of your post of you'll decide to restore it.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:13 pm

It's just that... I don't want to seem like I'm telling you guys what to do, but I'm really excited about the possibility of a story of some sort beside the skirmish gameplay.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:38 pm

I read that fluff stuff a while back too and really enjoyed it, but isn't the "the possibility of a story of some sort beside the skirmish gameplay" thrown out when they implemented the metagame campaign thing? I'm the first person to be behind more story or meaning to factions in game when they seem to have been designed for that and it would give them a lot more meaning it would seem, but I thought that ship has flown now. I understand there were reasons for choosing the campaign they have now, but it's still sad not having the story behind the factions.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:00 pm
happy carebear mom

From what I remember, a scripted storyline campaign was being thought about (see: zombie chip mission and hiring weegee) but abandoned in favor of the campaign metagame, reasoning being that a randomized risk-like campaign would provide more variety and replayability than a scripted campaign (since it would always be the same storyline).
Personally, I think it was a waste, the metagame is barely more interesting than playing unrelated skirmish matches.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Not to mention Maginot Mission and Dummy Fortress or whatever. The sad thing is making randomized AI challenging is more difficult than making scripted AI difficult**, and I think the campaign being a challange is a big part of replayability.

** this is from my experience at least - the current campaign generally is not a challenge but other more linear missions I've played have been a legitimate challenge.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:34 pm

I think we should just have both.

The current "campaign" renamed to metagame or something, and linear missions be campaign.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:02 pm

CaveCricket48 wrote:
I think we should just have both.

The current "campaign" renamed to metagame or something, and linear missions be campaign.

How about Conquest?
I actually like "Story Mode", "Adventure Mode", or just "Single Player" better then Campaign. But what to call it is irrelevant.

the main question is how to present it. Are you one brain striking out on your own against the world of midas? Do you belong to a particular faction? green dummies and maginot mission strongly suggest that the player would belong to the Coalition. Belonging to a faction would help justify certain things like mission budgets and so on.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:42 pm

There could be six mission lines, one for each faction.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:01 pm

If story mode actually becomes a thing, we can also have like in-game cutscenes and missions and stuff, and make "hero" actors with names and backstory like they do in games such as Age of Empires.

Personally, though, I think it would be better if that development time is invested in perfecting gameplay mechanic.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next