View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mod Developing, still worth it? 

Post Mod Developing, still worth it?
I'm asking a genuine question, simply because I've always wanted to develop a mod for this game despite my lackluster skills in sprite work (which would be improved as I work on a mod anyway.) But one thing bothers me about it in general. Is it truly worth it? Would it be worth the time and effort it takes into creating a mod (a faction in this case really) at this point in time? I mean, let's face it, the game isn't popular anymore and it is dead. No one ever talks about it, and partially because the updates were slow; however, don't get me wrong, I love the game and I appreciate the work put into it, but this game was dying as Data started working on it less and less, eventually dumping the load off onto other people. Similar to minecraft, except this game isn't for autistic children, so granted it won't follow in the same path.

But the point of this post is to ask, is there still a point in contributing to the community, when the community itself is dying/dead? Now granted, I'm not expecting replies, because these here forums are desolate, save for a few souls. Hell, even the major mod makers on this site have already left to other games or stopped caring about CC.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:49 am

Post Re: Mod Developing, still worth it?
This is a question I believe you have to answer for yourself. However, in my own opinion, it will be worthwhile if you make it worthwhile.
In the end most of the modding community including myself makes their first few mods for their own enjoyment. The biggest reason for
anyone to make a mod should be that they enjoy the experience and that they wanted to learn something. Even though the code that is
specific to CC itself won't be used for anything else it can teach you a few things; especially once you get into the lua scripting. Another
skill that is particularly useful is to practice spriting. I guess what I'm trying to say with my hap-hazard poor organization post is that,
you should not be making a mod to entertain the masses, nor should you be making it solely to get reputation. You should be doing it for
your own sake. Quite honestly there's still quite a few people around lurking and if you release it on the steam workshop there will be a
fair amount of people who will be exposed to your work. So all in all it's up to you. If you have any questions regarding modding feel free
to make a thread about it or you can even ask me through a pm (although it's been a while since I've personally had time). Best of luck!

TL:DR Make the decision based on what it does for you, not for the community.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:15 am

PvtVain wrote:
I mean, let's face it, the game isn't popular anymore and it is dead.

This, my friend, is a steaming pile of horseshit. Why? The community here is dead, but it is alive and kicking on Steam. My 40K mod has just over 8,000 current subsribers, with almost 12,000 unique visitors. Brotherhood of Nod? 3k/6k. GDI? 1.5k/3k. And that's just my own mods, nevermind other quality customs like Void Wanderers or Untitled or SAW.

If you want to make a mod for practice, don't talk yourself out of doing it because you think the community is 'dead'. ♥♥♥♥ do it because you want the experience or practice or because you love the game.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:03 am
Profile YIM

Arcalane wrote:
This, my friend, is a steaming pile of horseshit. Why? The community here is dead, but it is alive and kicking on Steam.

Really? I have not really checked the community on Steam, so excuse me.

Arcalane wrote:
My 40K mod has just over 8,000 current subsribers, with almost 12,000 unique visitors. Brotherhood of Nod? 3k/6k. GDI? 1.5k/3k. And that's just my own mods, nevermind other quality customs like Void Wanderers or Untitled or SAW.

And like I just said, did not check in-depth on Steam. But, eh, I joined here in twenty-ten and I sort of missed the community here, and did not really bother with it anymore after a certain period and just got the mods I liked and that was the end of it. But if Steam is still holds a plethora of users, then I will probably start working on something I suppose. But like the aforementioned problem, my sprite work is lackluster, primarily in shading and details. The models/shapes aren't bad though.

Arcalane wrote:
If you want to make a mod for practice, don't talk yourself out of doing it because you think the community is 'dead'. ♥♥♥♥ do it because you want the experience or practice or because you love the game.

Well I suppose you are right, but if I am going to be honest with you, I have always been a negative and unmotivated person. It is kind of who I am, but also not, if that makes sense.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:14 am

PvtVain wrote:
I'm asking a genuine question, simply because I've always wanted to develop a mod for this game despite my lackluster skills in sprite work (which would be improved as I work on a mod anyway.) But one thing bothers me about it in general. Is it truly worth it? Would it be worth the time and effort it takes into creating a mod (a faction in this case really) at this point in time? I mean, let's face it, the game isn't popular anymore and it is dead. No one ever talks about it, and partially because the updates were slow; however, don't get me wrong, I love the game and I appreciate the work put into it, but this game was dying as Data started working on it less and less, eventually dumping the load off onto other people. Similar to minecraft, except this game isn't for autistic children, so granted it won't follow in the same path.

But the point of this post is to ask, is there still a point in contributing to the community, when the community itself is dying/dead? Now granted, I'm not expecting replies, because these here forums are desolate, save for a few souls. Hell, even the major mod makers on this site have already left to other games or stopped caring about CC.

I have recently released the old Chaos Space Marines mod from the Russian Cortex Command forums on Steam Workshop. It has now been there for just 5 days and it already has ~800 unique visitors and ~500 subscribers. IN 5 DAYS! Yes, I know, Warhammer 40,000 is very popular, but if your mod is good, it will definetely attract people.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]