View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:15 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Signatures are going away! 

Post Re: Signatures are going away!
Geti wrote:
I just like them as a generally easy way to get to [...] get to peoples mod threads quickly
I agree with this.
Anyway, I find it's a little bit easier to read threads, but only marginally. Though it could have benefits to low-speed internet users without a cached images only or no images option.

Last edited by 411570N3 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:56 am
Profile WWW
DRLGrump

But how will I advertise my little known scenes until then?!

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:58 am

I almost like this since EVERYONE will want a signature, and he says you have to read the rules to get a sig. Perfect for newbies.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:59 am
Profile WWW

Exactly, this is a good reason as to why signatures are a good idea for a forum mainly focused around modding.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:00 am
happy carebear mom

CrazyMLC wrote:
he says you have to read the rules to get a sig. Perfect for newbies.

The same feature for getting people to read the tutorial on enabling signatures could bypass the signature matter entirely and go straight to the rules.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:02 am

This shouldn't have been implemented until we're able to do so

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:04 am

Geti wrote:
get to peoples mod threads quickly

This one does make me a little sad. Perhaps I can give some devlog/frontpage exposure to recently released mods to make up for it? Or perhaps the rumblings of the new ModDB will solve this issue.

Quote:
have a laugh at someone who said something dumb.

There's already an OT thread for that, if you like that kind of thing. No reason to repeat the same thing over and over again on the bottom of every post you make.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:07 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
DRLGrump

weasel wrote:
Geti wrote:
get to peoples mod threads quickly

This one does make me a little sad. Perhaps I can give some devlog/frontpage exposure to recently released mods to make up for it? Or perhaps the rumblings of the new ModDB will solve this issue.

Quote:
have a laugh at someone who said something dumb.

There's already an OT thread for that, if you like that kind of thing. No reason to repeat the same thing over and over again on the bottom of every post you make.

What exactly was the mindset or reasoning behind removing them? Maybe it will make things easier to understand. Because right now, I don't get it. It allowed us to have a little bit of personality in our posts, along with advertising the mods or links we like.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:12 am

Image Agree x1

Image Dumb x9 Image Funny x2

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:13 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

weasel wrote:

cough talk to data cough

a frontpage and or devlog little "modroll" would be neat, though tbh I think modding quality would need to go up for that to be something I'd want to advertise on my front page

if there was an official go-ahead for a modDB integration I really think we (you) should consider doing it on a more professional basis, rather than a purely community project driven only on the basis of personal motivation

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:42 am

Tomaster wrote:
What exactly was the mindset or reasoning behind removing them? Maybe it will make things easier to understand. Because right now, I don't get it.

The primary reason for their default removal is something I shouldn't really reveal. It's kinda like telling your patient you just gave them a placebo, you know? I know it sucks not knowing the reason, but rest assured - if this doesn't work out and the forums really suck after this, I can always change it back.

And don't forget that soon enough you can toggle them back on, so it won't even be an issue.

Rest assured that the issue at hand has nothing to do with bandwidth, dimensions, or inappropriate content/abuse or anything like that.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:00 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

weasel wrote:
The primary reason for their default removal is something I shouldn't really reveal. It's kinda like telling your patient you just gave them a placebo, you know?
This analogy was not very well thought out. It implies that you are making a change which you think will not make a causal change, expecting a change instead as a result of the appearance you are doing something. If you meant this in earnest then I am very worried.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:19 am
Profile WWW

This angers me, slightly. I like having signatures, and don't see why they were removed. It's not like they clutter up the screen, and they can have links to peoples mods and such.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:23 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

yeah man change is bad down with the system the man is keeping me down

i was very attached to my two images and 400 characters personally

i will be holding funeral services at nine tomorrow

counseling is available for anyone who is experiencing serious grief issues
if you'd like to take the day off please feel free

--

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:31 am

Signatures were fun. :-(
Provided shortcuts to peoples mods, gave mods a bit of publicity, provided a corny joke/funny quote, etc.
For example: I found multiple mods through people's signatures and not from the actual Mod Releases forum.

I get the reasoning behind the location, joined date, and post count, but this, I dunno. Just don't seem right.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:38 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next