View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:56 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Signatures are going away! 

Post Re: Signatures are going away!
Benpasko wrote:
It's not like they clutter up the screen
Uh. Define clutter.
--
Grif wrote:

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:39 am
Profile WWW

Benpasko wrote:
I like having signatures, and don't see why they were removed.
Grif wrote:
i was very attached to my two images and 400 characters personally
They weren't removed. They're still in the profile. They will be reinstated as an option.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:22 am
Profile WWW

411570N3 wrote:
This analogy was not very well thought out. It implies that you are making a change which you think will not make a causal change, expecting a change instead as a result of the appearance you are doing something. If you meant this in earnest then I am very worried.

It's not EXACTLY like what I said :P I just thought that analogy was better than saying "It's best you don't know" or "It's for your own good"

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:06 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
DRLGrump

weasel wrote:
411570N3 wrote:
This analogy was not very well thought out. It implies that you are making a change which you think will not make a causal change, expecting a change instead as a result of the appearance you are doing something. If you meant this in earnest then I am very worried.

It's not EXACTLY like what I said :P I just thought that analogy was better than saying "It's best you don't know" or "It's for your own good"

Those both make me worried...but it's not like I can do anything aside from piss and moan about it on an online forum, so I suppose I'll just shut up now and let things take their course.
I'll still be very pissed if they never reappear as defaulted though.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:09 am

I assume a better analogy would be something like the folk-wisdom cures for hiccups; if you're aware of what's meant to happen it doesn't work. Alternatively, the stereotypical kung-fu thing: you can't get it to work unless you're not trying, etc.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:30 am
Profile WWW

Signatures provide links to mods, scenes, and other posts you have made, as well as direct links to other websites that you are a part of.

Only posting new mods on the front-page, means that all older mods die, even if they are continuously updated. It ensures that if someone makes a faction, and for the next say, 4 F-ing years continues to update that faction, it will only be on the front page once back when it was new and sucky. *most* of the mods on this forum are factions, or compilations of continuously maintained mods and scenes. By removing signatures, you are guaranteed to kill 100% of these, simply because you don't like signatures.

Toes was right, One step closer to Facepunch, the first moding community to be about damn near everything but modding, that is absolutely un-navigateable.

You have just made this forum in such a way that you will not find anything unless it is either A) a recent post, or B) you already know exactly what you are looking for, which when it comes to mods, you don't know. most people will suggest things, and people will DL whats suggested. Some will suggest something like Darkstorm, or CRobo, or whitty's pack o mods, or maybe something Ivan made that hasn't been updated. Maybe they'll suggest random individual 'mini-mods'... and guess what, of what was just listed, I personally hate half of it. People suggest based on there own opinion, and people have different opinions.

The long and short of that is, Only mods continued by word-of-mouth, that are in recent memory, will survive this, and unfortunately, different people remember different things, and if someone new shows up and goes "hey, what are some good mods" and someone suggests something that they don't like, and noone else suggests anything, they won't be able to find anything that isn't that, because they won't know what they are looking for. they will think that all of the mods here suck, or that it's a slow, or bad community, and they will leave. That makes the community stagnant and sucky. This means that it will turn into facepunch, it will become the ass of the internet, it will suck, everyone will hate it, and leave.

If everyone leaves, then the game dies, if the game dies, Data nolonger has a game.

I'm not saying that removal of signatures is the only thing that will do this, It's just the BIGGEST thing. sure, we could put links to our mods in our profiles, but then noone will see it, because they won't be able to go "oh, this person makes mods, lets see what they've done in the past" because there's NO FREAKING SIGNATURE TO SAY IT! We don't get a little badge that says "this person has made X number of mods" near our avatars, and we never will. signatures are the ONLY way to promote yourself within the forums.

[/ragequit]

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW

This is stupid.
I don't see how signatures bother any of you moderators/admins.

And if they do, then YOU'RE the ones that should toggle signature view off, instead of us turning it on.

See what I did there?
I said you could turn them off for yourself, instead of removing them and then telling us we could just 'Toggle them back on later'.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:45 pm
Banned

So I assume appending your own signature (a la 3Solid) warrants disciplinary action?

Also the mod exposure aspect of the signatures can be countermanded by allowing us to develop a mod db. Just sayin'

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:49 pm
Profile YIM
Loose Canon

ProjektTHOR wrote:
So I assume appending your own signature (a la 3Solid) warrants disciplinary action?

Also the mod exposure aspect of the signatures can be countermanded by allowing us to develop a mod db. Just sayin'

Thor, your avatar has just won the internet.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

MaximDude wrote:
See what I did there?
This.
You could just as easily give newbs instructions on how to turn them off instead of turning them on. Either way would work fine, but this opt-out method preserves tradition for the rest of us. IE, the ones who really care either way.

ProjektTHOR wrote:
allowing us to develop a mod db.
ATTN: Weasel,
Good things can come of change, like you say. Here is one of those great suggestions.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:22 pm
Banned

This post exists for the sole purpose of insulting Weasel in a Baboon-like manner. Also, for what it's worth, I also have a question. Can't you make an open discussion about these kinds of changes BEFORE implementing them? I fail to understand how removing the sigs and info works anything like a placebo. It sure as hell ain't stopping us from finding newbies.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 pm
Profile YIM
Moderator Hero

Threads look very clean now. I approve. Also, we need this ModDB integration shiznit to combat the loss of sigs. Thor, I place my life in your hands here.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:49 pm

If you want to see the mod links, simply toggle them back on [when the option is available]. It seems like the only real complaint you guys have is that you can't see mod links... which isn't an issue.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:43 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Banned

Seraph wrote:
Also, we need this ModDB integration shiznit to combat the loss of sigs. Thor, I place my life in your hands here.
I am trying to get approval on this. I am not going to start working on this unless I know the customer in question (ie: Data) wants it. Wasted a week of my life on the other one, only to have it sit and collect digital dust.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:23 pm
Profile YIM
DRLGrump

ProjektTHOR wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Also, we need this ModDB integration shiznit to combat the loss of sigs. Thor, I place my life in your hands here.
I am trying to get approval on this. I am not going to start working on this unless I know the customer in question (ie: Data) wants it. Wasted a week of my life on the other one, only to have it sit and collect digital dust.

I remember that one. I still don't see why no one ever used it.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:27 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next