View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Splitting the Mods Section 

Post Re: Splitting the Mods Section
Alenth Eneil wrote:
The only change I am willing to make is the addition of a Minor Mods area, but seeing as not a single person on DRL seems capable of consistently posting in the right forum it would probably just make things even more stupid.

Which is why we should have sections for actors, devices, first time mods, and factions. That way, there should not be any dispute over where something should go. We could have 5 or so active members be made mods for these sections, and all they have permission to do is move topics to the correct location.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:24 pm

whitty wrote:
We could have 5 or so active members be made mods for these sections, and all they have permission to do is move topics to the correct location.

This is the kind of thing I'd like to be a moderator of.

Hardly any responsibility but actually helping the forum. n.n

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:26 pm
Profile WWW

This would be so much easier if we could just trust people to sort themselves out based on the main factors. If it's awesome/for teh lulz and has decent spriting or uses base stuff, like Shook's pack does, it's a quality mod. If it's got epic sprites and pretty decent balance with power and armor, it's a quality mod. If it has basic or even awesome spriting, but it's just a base weapon with a few altered values, it's not a quality mod. If the spriting is horrid, and done in paint with a few drags of the box tool, unless it's pretty darn awesome and groundbreaking with what it does, it's not a quality mod. Looks are very important, as well as what it does. Zalo's stuff has an excuse because his awesome fantastic is pretty crazy and nothing else does anything like it. His Leader and Ghost clone are acceptable because, yet again, nothing else does what they do. Abductor and Tank Walker? Same thing. Shook's stuff is acceptable because it's awesome. I don't like coming on here and seeing this new Test WiP thing which is a bunch of pathetic resprites and value changes. Yeah, another rant. I kinda have been waiting for a good mod or update...Hurry up, numgun. :p

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Ultric wrote:
rant

What I got out of that is that you were saying something along the lines of the mod rating system we had before... That system failed hard.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Or... We do something else and take it out of the forums:

We refine the modDB that Odin and Daman have worked on.
  • Shows New Releases
  • Has a indexing system
  • Has a mod-type drop down menu
  • Linking to multiple upload sites, so mods that are too huge for the DB...

Though I think its pretty obvious... And have the Mod link redirect to the modDB, the mod section is pretty much only for released mods anyways. Have detailed discussion limited to mod making. I recall most mod discussions don't really update often after ever few or so bursts of posts, until something is brought up...

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:34 pm

But you have to ask yourself: Will people want to leave DRL to go to a site that has things that DRL has/could have?

I for one never like the ModDB.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:36 pm

DSMK2 wrote:
God we need to split the mods section, really... And have more moderator influence. Currently most people will walk into here to find working, quality mods, not some half assed "experimental" mods.

Mods Section:
  • First time mods - <Also includes a sticky rubric for modding> First time mods go here, if its good, starting threads in the other mod sections are unlocked to a passing modder, and depending on quality and potential (most likely faction mods), the said mod is moved to its respective section.

DSMK2 wrote:
if its good, starting threads in the other mod sections are unlocked to a passing modder,

Congratulations, you just set it up so that the only mods anyone looks at are the ones you like, and everything else is perpetually ignored, excluding 80% of all modders from EVER being seen, and setting up a caste system of 'approved' and 'unapproved' modders, regardless of anyone's tallent or origionallity, judgement of one vs the other is purely on whim.

No.

alot of 'good mods' aren't actually good. yes, it is good for a modder to create 30 unique weapons which is typically smiled uppon, even if they all SUCK, meanwhile a mod of high quality, origionality and function, gets crammed into the MMC because its 1 single gun, and/or a first mod, and/or someone noone here's ever heard of.

2ndly you have set it up would guarantee success based on Name Recognition for well known moders, and likewise for people you don't like Name Recognition would be an automatic failure with an uphill curve.

this is the worst idea I've seen since.... actually I can't even think of a bad idea to compare this to.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW

also irrelevent to my previous post let me suggest something that might actually work, based on previous comments.

1 big mod pool is bad because then things get pushed to the bottom
2 rating systems are bad because that puts a few in control of many and that failed before
3 separating things by quality is an insult, and most people will never change where they are.

So I suggest the following

New releases, you release a mod, its put up top effectively sticked for X amount of time.

When no new updates will be released it will be up for 2 weeks and moved. (via a bot)

mods will be moved to a mod collection of recent-ish mods for this build, arranged by both number of downloads and number of replies.

when the new build comes out, modders will have 2 weeks to update for the new build or there mod will be moved to the mod archive, and get stamped with the appropriate build number.

This way new mods stay visible, older mods get moved to remove clutter, and if you want an older mod, its easier to find.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Let's have 152946706242 different mods subforums and each mod will get it's own subforum so no one can ever post their mod in the wrong forum and they will all be naed accurately and everyone will be able to find exactly what they are looking for!!!!11111

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Alenth Eneil wrote:
Let's have 152946706242 different mods subforums and each mod will get it's own subforum so no one can ever post their mod in the wrong forum and they will all be naed accurately and everyone will be able to find exactly what they are looking for!!!!11111

Come up with and idea or at least say that the current system is good as it as. Please.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:49 pm

I already said that the only real change that can/might be made right now is the addition of a Minor Mod Releases forum.

Anything past that is either too much specialization or requires someone to add stuff to the drl server.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Alenth Eneil wrote:
I already said that the only real change that can/might be made right now is the addition of a Minor Mod Releases forum.

Anything past that is either too much specialization or requires someone to add stuff to the drl server.

Then lets leave it at that. The original creator of that thread has the main idea then.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:28 pm

Alenth Eneil wrote:

I'll be honest here: I'd probably never check it.

Edit: Neither would a lot of people new to the site who just want things like AAL and the DarkStorm mods...

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

Most people here would never check a minor mod forum.
And most people would argue all freaking day that their 3 weapons with 6 line of changed code don't belong in there.

And really, it's not hard at all to add sub-forums into a forum.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:00 am

whitty wrote:
Ultric wrote:
rant

What I got out of that is that you were saying something along the lines of the mod rating system we had before... That system failed hard.

Sadly, you missed the one, small, but crucial sentence. What was it?
Ultric wrote:
This would be so much easier if we could just trust people to sort themselves out based on the main factors.

Oh ya. Thx!
The point was, people should actually use their minds and realize when they've got a pathetic mod on their hands and click "back" when they go to post it.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next