View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Alternate punishment methods. 
Banned

Post Re: Alternate punishment methods.
Tomaster wrote:
You could not be further from the truth. The last time my parents bought me something luxury wise was when I was twelve. I considered spoiled as if they ask they get it. I'm the opposite of that.
Then if you have no income, don't get money from your parents, and don't have an allowance, how did you pay for this game?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:42 am
Profile YIM
DRLGrump

ProjektTHOR wrote:
Tomaster wrote:
You could not be further from the truth. The last time my parents bought me something luxury wise was when I was twelve. I considered spoiled as if they ask they get it. I'm the opposite of that.
Then if you have no income, don't get money from your parents, and don't have an allowance, how did you pay for this game?

I have a job? When did I say I had no income?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:07 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

When you never said otherwise? Bringing up your parents as though they're the only conceivable source of income pretty much paints you as being like, fourteen.

That, and the dumb habbo hotel or whatever ♥♥♥♥ avatar.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:16 am
DRLGrump

Grif wrote:
When you never said otherwise? Bringing up your parents as though they're the only conceivable source of income pretty much paints you as being like, fourteen.

That, and the dumb habbo hotel or whatever ♥♥♥♥ avatar.

Terribly sorry, I'll be sure to clear that sort of thing up early on in the future.
Pool's Closed (Links to Encyclopedia Dramatica. Be warned)

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:49 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

yes I am not new to the internet

I get the reference

it's just dumb

because like fifty people were actually a part of that

and you weren't one of them

therefore the only people who could "legitimately" have those avatars are not you, and therefore you are using a dumb avatar and trying to be ♥♥♥♥♥♥!!111

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:54 am

^^ that whole conversation can end now, thanks

Scope0 wrote:
Geti wrote:
how come we now have new moderators?

Explain this.

well recently someone complained that threads weren't being moderated fast enough, so that could be a reason.

Mainly, I'm concerned about if any of the current mods/admins lose interest, get a job, move, go to school, get sick, etc etc. -- we'd be understaffed. It's better to be overstaffed than understaffed to cover for those odd occurances that crop up.

Plus, the more people we have - the more likely someone will be online during any moderatable event.

Plus, why not have more moderators? It's not like we have to pay them wages. I'd think most of them would be happy that there is overall less work for each individual.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:15 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

That's all well and good, but an update in the event of adding more staff would be nice. I'm all for more staff and quicker moderation, it'd just be nice to know who has been promoted and why it happened when it does.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Banned

Transparency, et al.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm
Profile YIM
Moderator Hero

We also lost Skiv, ask weasel why.

I gotta say, Dauss and Duh have been doing a damn good job dealing with reports.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:44 pm

weasel wrote:
^^ that whole conversation can end now, thanks

Scope0 wrote:
Geti wrote:
how come we now have new moderators?

Explain this.

well recently someone complained that threads weren't being moderated fast enough, so that could be a reason.

Mainly, I'm concerned about if any of the current mods/admins lose interest, get a job, move, go to school, get sick, etc etc. -- we'd be understaffed. It's better to be overstaffed than understaffed to cover for those odd occurances that crop up.

Plus, the more people we have - the more likely someone will be online during any moderatable event.

Plus, why not have more moderators? It's not like we have to pay them wages. I'd think most of them would be happy that there is overall less work for each individual.

This means everyone should be a moderator right?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Geti wrote:
That's all well and good, but an update in the event of adding more staff would be nice. I'm all for more staff and quicker moderation, it'd just be nice to know who has been promoted and why it happened when it does.

I didn't think it particularly matters. Who cares who the moderators are? They are ghosts behind the curtain that pull levers you don't see. In the back of my mind I think the only reason you guys want announcements is so you can criticize the move - hopefully I'm wrong there.

When I first came on board we had a bit of an attitude problem as well - the general atmosphere of the Moderation team was an above-the-law holier-than-thou I'm-the-special-one one. It wasn't a good vibe and not something I wanted the team to have. Moderators should be merely dude(ette)s that want to make the forum a better place - not people that want power. I think I've got a handle on this now and am working on changing the attitude.

Some moderators don't like a lot of fanfare and don't want announcements made when they're instated. I hope the latest recruits aren't feeling upset about not getting a big welcome thread - if they feel cheated in some way I apologize... Maybe I'll do it up later today if they think it's appropriate.

Quote:
transparency

I know the concept of transparency is very nice and something we strive for in our democratic society. Normally I am quite open and plan things in the public - but whenever I discuss a controversial subject publicly, the thread degenerates very rapidly and is not constructive whatsoever (in this community in particular). Sorry if a few are spoiling it for the rest of you, I know you're not all jerks out there. :P

I find if I discuss these matters with people I know and trust - such as the moderation team - we can come to a consensus on what is best for the community, and make those hard decisions.

It's often difficult to transmit a "we're doing X because it's for your own good" message. Sometimes there are things that have to be left unsaid (certain facts aren't public knowledge) so the whole story doesn't make sense. People don't like change, and least of all people hate changing themselves and their habits. Speaking with the moderation team lets me be a bit more open about the "grand scheme" and get more valuable opinions too.

Sometimes the best solution is to think up a strategy in private and unveil it suddenly - give it a whirl, and if it doesn't work out - iterate on it and move with it. It's not like any decision I make is final or permanent - I've changed a few, and some plans I've had have been radically changed by the moderators/admins. If things aren't working out, I will keep working on them until I get it right.

So don't panic if something you don't like crops up -- keep a cool head, post some constructive feedback, and help me out. It'll make things work faster and easier. Worst case scenario? I break everything, the community falls apart, I get fired, and maybe you'll have better luck with my successor.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:16 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Idea: Take away moderator name colours. Go go.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:28 pm
happy carebear mom

Who would you PM for specific problems then,?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Who da ♥♥♥♥ cares. Specific problems on this board are so infrequent that if you've got some sort of issue that requires immediate attention, you're better off PMing an admin, not some piss-ant moderator.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Whatever weasel said
Well if you have some kind of administrative or moderation proclamation that isn't up for discussion, post it and lock it. It's not really that hard.

I think most of us here are at peace with the fact that you are going to do a lot of things arbitrarily and without discussion with the user community. That's just a fact of your employment.

On the other hand, it would be nice to at least know when you are doing things. How about we compromise and you just post things and lock the topic to discussion.

But on the other hand, god forbid you guys have to moderate threads =X

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:24 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next