View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Signatures are going away! 

Post Re: Signatures are going away!
/signed

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:46 am

This is disappointing, it looks dull and empty now. Just a big blank space after every short post...
See: Above. 1240px x 170px of gray.

It was needlessly over-ambitious to have removed them temporarily until the patch instead of just leaving them in place by default until the patch. I can imagine absolutely no reasons that having sigs off by default would be so high priority that it needed to be done immediately when it would annoy those who liked them until it could be done properly.

I also don't understand why they would be removed by default, or any reasons why that would need to be unrevealed information.

But, having them toggled and off by default for no reason is less unreasonable that completely removing them permanently for no reason.

Also I 'vote' that this remain an open discussion, for what it's worth.
Scratch that; it's going nowhere even if it does go well.

Last edited by Azukki on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:08 am

Azukki wrote:
I can imagine absolutely no reasons

It's ok, I don't expect everyone to grep it. :)

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:37 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

I could make a quick and useless response to that, or a long response with points leading to nowhere under the circumstances. I suppose I won't.

These two threads should really be merged though, since their subjects overlap so much.

Last edited by Azukki on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:50 am

tl;dr do things for reasons not just because you feel like it you old ♥♥♥♥♥
I FIND IT HILARIOUS THAT WORD IS CENSORED

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:56 pm
Profile WWW

I vote that we put the default status of signatures to a vote.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
I vote that we put the default status of signatures to a vote.

THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:33 pm

The default status has little to no importance as it can be changed by the individual so easily. I 'vote' we don't bother to give it the attention of putting it to a vote.

But removing them until they can be off by default is annoying and therefor significant enough to be reasonably debatable.
But I don't think weasel or anyone that can undo it will soon due to immediate complaints, since they're trialing what the forum would be like without sigs, and seeing if everyone [them, new members, and old members] will like it once they get used to it.

I predict I'll care less and less as I get used to it, but will always be annoyed to some extent by their removal.

I think these sort of changes would go best if officially explained. People would be in the loop, instead of what's being done, where the annoyed complaining people get no explaination, making them more annoyed, and so they complain more. It doesn't have to be a democratic process, but a little explaination for inconveniences is a reasonable request, and would cause less of a mess.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:44 pm

Azukki wrote:
I think these sort of changes would go best if officially explained.

Most people think that. :) Nobody likes to blindly follow a leader. A great tenet of our modern society is accountability and explanations.

A [probably bad] correlary: Nobody wants to be a mindless drone that says "yes sir" when ordered over the tops of the trenches; military recruitment is down because as generations advance we keep demanding to know "why" more and more. We have to believe that what we are doing is worth it.

But if you went door to door right now - and canvassed people if they would like their taxes increased, for better public services - most would turn them away. You could go into long details about how improved health care would increase your income over time, improved road systems, free internet, and water discounts would end up saving you money in the long run. But most people don't hear past "increased taxes" and refuse to see long term advantages. Some don't have time to listen to the long-term advantages. And even those few that do listen to them don't get it - they chose not to believe that more taxes == saving money, and if you try to explain the economics of it they just get confused (and irate).

I'd be happy to sit down at a pub and talk over all the issues at hand with any member of the community that is rational, level-headed, and puts a lot of thought into the future of things [and is within walking distance]. But it's not something I'm going to waste a month explaining via text. :P

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:29 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Now, I agree with weasel, I also wish that I could drink legally but blahblahblah whatever.
After taking another look, I dont really mind that I lost my sig, sure I liked putting up/looking at other peoples witty comments, but hey, thats life, you dont always get what you want

Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:13 am

weasel wrote:
But it's not something I'm going to waste a month explaining via text. :P
Okay, how about two minutes to skim over the general concept, in a short paragraph?

Assuming everyone who wants to know why won't either listen to the answer or let it change their concrete dispositions, and defending your omission of explaination with this point, is no more productive or satisfying to customers than briefly explaining.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:52 am

Azukki wrote:
weasel wrote:
But it's not something I'm going to waste a month explaining via text. :P
Okay, how about two minutes to skim over the general concept, in a short paragraph?

Because several times now this community has given ample evidence that it can't accept certain things, and will whine/♥♥♥♥♥/complain about it. I would be generally more open if you guys weren't so whiny.

As it stands, if I post a brief description - it won't stand up to much scrutiny and you guys will tear it apart and say "that's rediculous" or "that makes no sense" or "explain yourself"

etc etc for probably a month

at which point about half of you will go "oooh I get it now"

So how about we just skip to the end? ;)

Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:05 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
happy carebear mom

Quick question: Will signatures be back for contest results, or do winners have to use their avatar space for them as suggested? (Yes, they can use their signature space for them now as well, but nobody would bother to check them if they don't know who won.)

Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:12 am

I would generally tell you guys things I do/why if you would just agree with me more. I mean really it's not like asking for blind obedience in the same breath as explaining that society as a whole is leaning more away from blind obedience is contradictory or anything.
DEAR WEASEL YOU ARE EVERY ADMINISTRATOR WE'VE EVER HAD EXCEPT WITH WORSE IDEAS AND MORE PAY SIGNED DISGRUNTLED IN DETROIT

Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:23 am
Profile WWW

Ophanim wrote:
I mean really it's not like asking for blind obedience in the same breath as explaining that society as a whole is leaning more away from blind obedience is contradictory or anything.

I am asking for blind obedience because I don't have the time or inclination to get into debates is all, and I'm acknowledging that isn't so happy for a lot of people :P

so yeah you are right sir

Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:39 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next