View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Our moderating team (mostly) sucks. 
Banned

Post Our moderating team (mostly) sucks.
How about you guys do you jobs?

Do you guys even read this board any more or do I have to do everything and check all your threads for you?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:03 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Our moderating team (mostly) sucks.
Please do tell specific complaints if you have them.
If you are speaking of the four or five reports you just logged, the reported messages did not seem to warrant any moderator intervention (in my opinion).

EDIT: My apologies, I forgot about the double post. That did require a bit of moderator intervention.

And, as always, if you have complaints about specific moderators or moderator actions, PM weasel, TLB, Alenth, or another moderator with your complaint and the name of the moderator.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:29 pm
Banned

Yes, in your opinion but you probably closed the reports so as to keep any other moderator from seeing them--and as such, dealing with them, and as such, negating your professional opinion.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

Any moderator is free to browse the moderator logs and closed reports, there is no such thing as a hidden moderator action.
As a former moderator I would think you would know this THOR.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm
Banned

And the point is that not every moderator can be bothered to go through every single thread. The report function exists to allow the community to help in the policing of topics.

For one moderator in a crew of--I don't know, five--to remove the main communicative element between staff and members is absurd. Sure, any moderator can go through and check the logs for reports, but as a past moderator I know those reports can be deleted.

I also know the phrase "out of sight, out of mind." By removing a report just because you don't think its relevant effectively removes it from any and all correction by other staff members.

Blessedly, the PHPBB team anticipated this and allows users to track their reports, meaning I will assuredly reopen it as soon as you close it.

And lets not forget that you have eloquently outlined the entire problem to us: Most of our moderating team sucks but there is only one person that I can see that is dealing with reports.

I wonder if there is a connection.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:18 pm
Profile YIM

Well over at 99chan mod policy is if you don't understand the report, can't think of a suitable punishment, or even don't think it needs punishing, leave it sitting for a while, or even link it in #mods, and if someone else can confirm that it doesn't need anything done, (but only if nobody else thinks something should be done) then you clear it. If someone raises an issue then we evaluate content loss vs risk of stupid unnecessary ♥♥♥♥ happening. A lot of times I'll even link the post in question to the main channel to get their opinions on it. Redundancy tends to eliminate bias and keep ♥♥♥♥ going in an efficient and non-destructive manner.
A lot of what this mod team lacks is communication. 99chan is very transparent as to what her mods do, and this allows the users to tell us what ♥♥♥♥ we're doing wrong in a public manner without fear of reciprocation. While we may not always put stock into your input, we're always going to listen with an open mind. Understanding that no mod team can be perfect is the first step to mod-vana.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:24 pm
Profile WWW

Tucker's got a point, as does Eric.
We need some sort of corrective action in regards to our moderation issues. Seriously, weasel is absent, most if not all other admins and mods are offline for more than 5 days at a time. Duh, you're just about the only one visibly doing anything.
All the global mods have been online within the last two days, however I haven't actually seen much from any of them. Oh yeah, Seraph made a post and then got quoteblasted. Or was that p3l? I don't even know.

Regardless, something needs to be done about the situation. I'd prefer more transparency, but whatever, its more up to the 3 ADMINS WHAT THE HELL TWO OF THEM NEVER EVER COME HERE.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

Yeah, but being visibly active doesn't mean that the things one is doing is the /right/ thing.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 pm
Profile YIM

Really though if you want to point the finger of blame point it at Dan. If he'd hire some competent staff it would propogate.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

ProjektTHOR wrote:
/right/ thing.

This actually is a concern of mine also. P3l is probably the most active do-shit moderator, I being the most active close-reports moderator, but there's little on-forum feedback from up top as to whether as a moderation team we are collectively following the Grand Plan.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 pm
Banned

I think that closing a topic that was completely derailed (and devoid of content to begin with) is hardly debatable.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:17 pm
Profile YIM
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

We're also lacking Alenth and I right now - we have no access to any moderator functions or the moderator chat. One of the main reasons that not much is going on is that there's nobody to direct the moderators.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:14 am
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
Seriously, weasel is absent,

I am?

If there were better moderator candidates on the forum, I haven't noticed them yet. I think we have the best possible team right now; the only way we can improve the situation is to get an influx of newbs and see what cream rises to the top.

That probably won't happen until we start seeing more dev updates though. :(

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:49 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

^^^^ agreeing with this
yo weasel what's up with Dan is he just against dev updates or what because I was reading CC threads on a few places and people are talking about how they were sorry they bought it and ♥♥♥♥ like that because it looks like he abandoned his ♥♥♥♥
he's hurting himself for no reason what gives

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:08 pm
Profile WWW

weasel wrote:
I am?
Well, your previous post was a week ago and a sign saying brodick, but I'm not complaining if you're here and willing to discuss the issue.
Ophanim has just brought the one I'm mostly concerned with to light pretty eloquently, the moderation issues/lack thereof (depending on your standpoint) are more of a secondary concern to Dan wagging DRL.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next