View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 IRC is no longer... a thing 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: IRC is no longer... a thing
Stop being such angry small kids. Seriously, aren't you the people that hated every single newcomer to the IRC? Isn't this a good thing for you? Now no clueless newbies will wander in asking annoying questions and behave in a manner you don't like.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 am

hey yo p3lb0x it's the people you've hung out with for two years you've been a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ lately you should stop prancing around telling everyone just how reprehensible they are just saying

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Hero

Pity - we could have had a simple bot that kicked and banned anyone that said anything within a pre-set word filter.

Bam. Moderation done.

Then have an un-moderated oldies channel, entering at your own discretion. Too bad if nobody is in the main channel.

There's your "moderated" IRC.

I mean were you thinking of having moderators on irc, monitoring chat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 am

This disappoints me.
Furthermore, newbies were not specifically treated with malice as such: myself and others I witnessed being clear exceptions to any theoretical pattern involving the discrimination towards of new irc patrons.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Banned

411570N3 wrote:
This disappoints me.
Furthermore, newbies were not specifically treated with malice as such: myself and others I witnessed being clear exceptions to any theoretical pattern involving the discrimination towards of new irc patrons.

I don't think I ever saw you talking ever

its ok tho irc.rizon.net #drlchat

Quote:
Stop being such angry small kids. Seriously, aren't you the people that hated every single newcomer to the IRC? Isn't this a good thing for you? Now no clueless newbies will wander in asking annoying questions and behave in a manner you don't like.

no, ...............

it wasn't about hating everyone

it was everyone who joined after The Crew pretty much was stupid and would cower back to the forums

then The Crew left(pretty much) and irc elitism completely died

and then irc died

gg

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 pm

Naruto43 wrote:
I don't think I ever saw you talking ever
Timezone shenanigans.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

Seraph wrote:
Pity - we could have had a simple bot that kicked and banned anyone that said anything within a pre-set word filter.

Word filters aren't what moderation is about. Promoting a fun, positive, helpful atmosphere is -- and no bot can do that. Language is just the tip of the iceberg and a very small part of the formula.

Quote:
Then have an un-moderated oldies channel, entering at your own discretion. Too bad if nobody is in the main channel.

We did this for a while; the oldies channel withered away and died and everyone just came back to the main channel and abused it.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Moderator Hero

From my experience when things start going south people start using filter'd words, otherwise it's a fairly good atmosphere.

If the oldies channel fails, so be it I guess. Oh well, life goes on.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:55 pm
Forum Moderator

Ophanim wrote:
hey yo p3lb0x it's the people you've hung out with for two years you've been a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ lately you should stop prancing around telling everyone just how reprehensible they are just saying

I am not saying I am not to blame myself, I don't care much about moderating IRC as it is a lost cause. I just can't see all the irrational hate you guys have for every single thing that happens.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Honestly, it's just IRC. You can go there to talk to people, but any actual friends you made there will keep in touch with you regardless. It is pretty hostile, and people in there are pretty uppity for what amounts to earlier regdates.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW

It's not just that, there's a standard of intelligence the IRC's learned to need, when people come in and act like complete gibbons, it kind of pisses them - us, off, people really can't come into IRC asking "hurr how I crotex commnad", and that's really all the forum is now.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm

The ClamV2 wrote:
It's not just that, there's a standard of intelligence the IRC's learned to need, when people come in and act like complete gibbons, it kind of pisses them - us, off, people really can't come into IRC asking "hurr how I crotex commnad", and that's really all the forum is now.

While I understand where you're coming from, this is a fan forum for an indie game with a constant influx of new players. This is - by design - a place where new players can come in and ask "hurr" etc. Also, the forum has always been that. I've been here for, jeez, almost four years, and I've watched all the regulars become the regulars, and all if not most of them started off that way. Hell, some of you are still under twenty, and you were - maximum - 16 years old four years ago, and yes, you were obnoxious and clueless. But you got better, by asking questions or, more likely, lurking.

And on the topic of IRC intelligence, yes, it does have to be learned - by action, and by teaching. People go into IRC and act a fool, teach them the ropes, don't ban them. I'm not even going to touch the fact that IRC routinely degenerates into crazy caps lock fantasy games and conjecture where to find intelligence in those.

Anyhow, mostly I think this isn't a bad thing.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW

No, seriously, the forum IS a place for people to come in and ask "hurr", yes, but my problem is that they don't get all their "hurr"ing out on the forum, you should NOT go to the place where you can ask "hurr", not ask "hurr", and then go to the place that you KNOW contains people that hate it when people ask "hurr".

If the forum is the place for "hurr"ing, I don't think it's too much to expect that the people who come to the IRC will have at least acclimated to the forum's attitude and figured out who's in IRC, and, thus, refrain from "hurr"ing, but no, the majority of the people who spread the incorrect thought that the IRC is full of hatred are the people who don't even grasp the kind of people in the forum itself, and merely jump into IRC without having even glanced at the forum.

Every IRC is like this, if you jump in without knowing the kind of people in the related community, you WILL get your ass kicked, hell, I've done it before myself, thinking I was hot ♥♥♥♥, but I didn't know the ♥♥♥♥ forum community, so now there's a boot imprint on my left asscheek.
Don't take a goddamn spoon away because one ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ managed to strangle himself, when plenty of other people enjoy the spoon in all it's merits.
The sexy, sleek, shiny, smooth spoon with that beautiful indent and the etching on the handle.

And, before you try and pull something out of your ass along the lines of "Well the IRC is aggressive to everyone when they first come in.", no, it's ♥♥♥♥ not, recently yourself and Shadow have joined the IRC, both of you are fairly intelligent and mostly accepted, it's not some regdates contest, we just don't like dealing with people who aren't up to that "standard", and you know this.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Just because you didnt manage to keep ircfags to be 'hurr nice unicorn rainbow vomits', you cut us off, thus isolating us from "nice" community that you struggling to make, but you are failing.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:51 pm

The ClamV2 wrote:
And, before you try and pull something out of your ass along the lines of "Well the IRC is aggressive to everyone when they first come in.", no, it's ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ not, recently yourself and Shadow have joined the IRC, both of you are fairly intelligent and mostly accepted, it's not some regdates contest, we just don't like dealing with people who aren't up to that "standard", and you know this.

I understand all of this, but I maintain that both forum and IRC should be for teaching people who have questions. IRC is not inherently aggressive, but you're fooling yourself if you think that a 'seph1r0th1337' won't be treated the same as a 'MrJim' (made up names). I guess what I'm saying is maybe the fact that 'every IRC ever is a harsh place' isn't really a good enough excuse, and if the admin staff wants to cultivate a certain clientele, that's probably motivation enough for excising it.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next