View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:03 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Poor moderating team 

Post Re: Poor moderating team
Kelas wrote:
I have people that agree with me, and so long as I have them, I speak for this forum.

Uh what?

Kelas, this is what you should do:
1. Go on a vacation to somewhere with NO internet access.
2. Get wasted (at least five times), and forget all that.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

I havn't seen weasel active on here in a while, and since he's gone back into his dark abyss things have seemed fine.
Sure, you may think Grif is on a little power trip and handing out some quite silly warnings, but it's for the good of the community as a whole. It will make the newer members step in line and finally bring some order around here.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:42 am

Oh god I refuse to speak to anyone when wasted.

I'm more agreeable.

But yes, things have been better without Weasel's actions being public. Grif and the moderation team are his protege though.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:44 am

Grif is nothing like weasel.
I have no problem with Grif having his name in red, and if you ask me, the other mods are a bit too forgiving.

When I got on and saw he was enlisted, I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside. <3
The feeling only lots of hard liquor can bring.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

5 warnings for extremely minor things like posting off topic or posting without a picture in the epic moments thread doesn't constitute a ban in my opinion. The warning system has descriptions of warnings as well so we can decide whether it's really enough of an issue. Now, admittedly, there is in fact a warning in there stating that he would get a tempban next time, and that was missed. However, keep in mind that we are also human and sometimes miss these things.
Kelas wrote:
In general there is yes, poor judgment, the moderating team in my opinion is bad.

This is your opinion. Nobody else in this thread seems to share it. What do you want us to do about it, ban ourselves because one guy says he doesn't like us?
And now it's time to visit Kelas' gallery of how not to make moderators listen to your opinion, because apparently he's not getting what I meant by singling out:
Kelas wrote:
Alright since Grif is a ♥♥♥♥♥

Kelas wrote:
Congrats Grif, your poor judgment is the cancer killing DRL.

Kelas wrote:
Yeah, it's a lot of hassle to moderate sober too.

Kelas wrote:
Duh made a judgment call on how long a user's post should be, if it were to be controlled by the addition of a PHPBB3 addon. WITHOUT consulting the forum or other moderators/admins.

(For anyone not seeing why this one is glaringly wrong, read the post he linked to. Duh was giving an arbitrary number to illustrate why he disgareed with - guess who - Kelas)

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 am
Profile WWW

But do those things warrant official warnings though? What I suggest though is the moderators be given a rigid set of rules to moderate by. No deviance, no judgment. Duh's arbitrary number is a bad way to show why he disagrees. A number like 200 is of course ridiculous and easy to disagree with. A number like 30-50 is harder to disagree with.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:58 am
happy carebear mom

Kelas wrote:
This board, before it was broken, had it set to auto-ban members for 3+ warnings at variable lengths depending on the amount of warnings. This was to prevent such users from continuing unbanned. Congrats Grif, your poor judgment is the cancer killing DRL.

Not every warning we give out has equal weight. Maybe if we used some sort of %warn system, but that would be more trouble than it's worth.

Kelas wrote:
Kelas is still confusing the "Change is bad" mentality with the "Righteous protester" mentality. Go ahead and keep being wrong; we promise not to ban you until you get too vociferously wrong.

The thread was subsequently locked. Congrats Grif, you are killing productive conversations that could possibly lead to this forum being fixed.

I fail to see how telling you to move your off-topic discussion into a forum where it's on-topic is poor judgement.

Way to be nitpicky, I chose an arbitrary number for an example right after I said it was a silly idea. If anything this proves you're fishing for inflammitory ideas by ignoring inconvenient evidence.

Ad hominem attacks, bad form chap. If drinking affected Seraph's moderation abilities, then there might be a problem, but if you can't pull up some good hard and pertinent reasons as to where it has, then there is no point in bringing up the point.

Kelas wrote:
behind all of our backs all day, every day.

He could be in this very room! He could be you, he could be me! He could even be- bad moderation?
Quite obviously you cannot prove from moderator logs your point, but if so many bad decisions were being made, would not other people be complaining? And not just one or two, but half of the board?

Kelas wrote:
And still we have absolutely NO group moderation, as per Weasels wishes.

That, again, is because you can't see into the moderator subforum.

Kelas wrote:
Do you like the idea that a user with multiple board warnings for blatant trolling/spamming get to go on day after day because people like Grif will it so? Do you like that members with GOOD messages, with REAL SOLUTIONS to our MULTITUDE of problems are silently snuffed out just because what they have to say isn't exactly nice, or agrees with the powers that be?

Anybody else hear this in the voice of some propaganda loudspeaker announcer dude?
To continue this discussion, if anyone has a problem with one user or a group of users, TELL ONE OF US. We are here to DO STUFF. We will bring it up in the moderator subforum and decide what needs to be done.

Kelas wrote:
The ball is in your court, moderators, admins. I speak for the forum as a whole when I say that our current situation is ♥♥♥♥♥♥ up and something needs to be done. We need admins that will do things, and listen to the community, we need moderators that are willing to work WITH the forum, not against the forum.

Well I think the rest of the forum has spoken on this point.

Kelas wrote:
A copy of this entire post and of every reply will be preserved locally for future evidence, if needed.

Awesome.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:59 am

Since you only made one contributing statement, Duh, I'll reply to the first point you made.

Do you really think that moderating this forum properly and efficiently is more trouble than it's worth?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Kelas, so far, you've basically left us with this:
    Anything we say that goes against you isn't counted as a "contributing statement"
    The fact that we bring things up in Mod Chat and discuss them doesn't count as group moderation
    Choosing the number 200 is such a bad judgment call, the whole moderation system needs an overhaul
I would say that all of these are kind of unreasonable.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:06 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Kelas wrote:
Do you really think that moderating this forum properly and efficiently is more trouble than it's worth?

Why, no, but I do think that adding in a new feature to confuse the situation more when the current system of adding reasoning to warn messages works fine enough is more trouble than it's worth.

Kelas wrote:
Since you only made one contributing statement, Duh, I'll reply to the first point you made.

If the other points weren't valid, a reason why would be awesome.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:06 am

It isn't a silly idea unless you plan on using an arbitrary number.

The statement I made under that, in regards to the post that statement linked, is what is important.

Other people DO complain is the problem. Not all of it is public.

The moderation subforum is for all intents and purposes, useless. Not every moderator HAS to weigh in on another's actions. If moderation action had to go through approval by a majority, kind of like how some posts need to be approved, THEN it would be group moderation.

Only a part of the forum has spoken. We may never hear a lot of other user's opinions.

It is awesome, thanks.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:12 am

Kelas wrote:

Only a part of the forum has spoken. We may never hear a lot of other user's opinions.

You seem pretty lonely right now. I'd imagine if there was SUCH strong feelings against the current moderators, the tone of this thread would be a little different. But go on, invite them over if there are some people who agree with you. Who knows? Maybe they'll be able to redeem your inane arguments.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:22 am

Kelas, I think you're part of the reason people don't speak up more. You're making such an ass of yourself that it makes people hesitant to appear grouped with you.

Yeah, the community isn't at it's peak now (not that I'd really know), but you don't need to vocalize it is so strongly you're an even worse problem.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 am
happy carebear mom

Kelas wrote:
It isn't a silly idea unless you plan on using an arbitrary number.

Alright, name a number that isn't arbitrary.
To quote definition.com,
Quote:
subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion: an arbitrary decision.

as opposed to based on a study of posts deemed contributory by a panel of judges I suppose?
My argument being, any number we could come up with would be arbitrary unless we did lots of research, which again is more trouble than it's worth for setting up what essentially would be an automatic post rating system.
Kelas wrote:
The statement I made under that, in regards to the post that statement linked, is what is important.
This is in reference to my questioning of your ad-hominem attack on Seraph?
I don't see how this proves the relevance of your statement. That's a different point than mine entirely.

Kelas wrote:

Would they not have posted here then...?

Kelas wrote:
The moderation subforum is for all intents and purposes, useless. Not every moderator HAS to weigh in on another's actions. If moderation action had to go through approval by a majority, kind of like how some posts need to be approved, THEN it would be group moderation.
Well, I do agree that would make sure all moderator actions would be approved by the group, but it would also slow down the moderation process to next to nothing, which is already somewhat of an issue.

Kelas wrote:
That's true. However, it is not feasible to have every single member, many of whom have next to no experience with our forum community, weigh in.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:33 am

YES. A study of posts deemed contributory by a panel of judges is exactly what is needed. No, it isn't too much trouble.

Why? Because this thread hasn't been alive more than an hour, that's why. Don't forget the small group of users that rage-quitted due to their harsh punishments.

It wouldn't slow things down if we had MORE moderators. Do you see how this all ties together now?

No it isn't feasible to get everyone to weigh in, but, we need more weight from real members, unlike Bentus, who, with his 1 post, will be ignored.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:46 am

So... Something like the Obama Death Panel? But for bans instead of your health.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next