View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 is weasel still around? 
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: is weasel still around?
MaximDude wrote:
Oh you.
You might be completely fine with just posting, but I would like the forum to be back to it's former functionality.

I just don't understand this. What part of the forum is so irrevocably broken that you cannot stand it?

Badges, polls, and signatures are the only things not working, and those are ludicrously trivial in comparison to, say, the entire rest of the board, which is working fine.

I don't really see any huge problems?

Guess that's just me and my lack of entitlement talking.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:28 pm
DRLGrump

Grif wrote:
MaximDude wrote:
Oh you.
You might be completely fine with just posting, but I would like the forum to be back to it's former functionality.

I just don't understand this. What part of the forum is so irrevocably broken that you cannot stand it?

Badges, polls, and signatures are the only things not working, and those are ludicrously trivial in comparison to, say, the entire rest of the board, which is working fine.

I don't think anyone is really bitching all that much about this stuff being nonfunctional anymore. They're just asking for things that are broken to be fixed, which sounds like a fairly reasonable thing to ask for.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:04 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Well, sure, except your request have already been noted, and the situation hasn't changed.

If the nice man at the ticket booth says all the seats are full, you don't get a ticket if you come back in an hour.

The forum's broken and evidently no one's taking steps to fix it. So, there's not really much point to complaining about it.

Though I suppose I am being rather more of a ♥♥♥♥♥ than necessary. Sorry 'bout that.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:12 pm
happy carebear mom

It all comes back to the root of all (our) evil. Data can't be arsed to monitor the forum XD

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:34 pm

I don't think it's so much a sense of entitlement, as it is a sense of helplessness at the fact that those who can take action, aren't. I would gladly try to (and I'm sure several other would, too) fix these things instead of complaining about it, which, unfortunately, probably won't happen. The reason for elected officials is because of appointed ones taking no action, or the wrong action (not referring to the mods or weasel, they're doing everything they are able to, I would hope)

That said, it really doesn't affect or bother me that nothing is working.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Grif wrote:

The forum software isn't entirely broken, and old-timers like yourself aren't going to leave over what you see as cosmetic shortcomings. It's sympomatic of a larger problem, though -- everything on datarealms.com is decrepit and abandoned. The devlog is on life support, the forums are a ghost town, and the wiki link has been broken for how many months now?

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Footkerchief wrote:
the wiki link has been broken for how many months now?

While I agree with you generally, I'd like to point out that the wiki has only been down for about three weeks.
You'd think Data would want everything on the main page to function properly, but apparently not.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Footkerchief wrote:
The forum software isn't entirely broken, and old-timers like yourself aren't going to leave over what you see as cosmetic shortcomings. It's sympomatic of a larger problem, though -- everything on datarealms.com is decrepit and abandoned. The devlog is on life support, the forums are a ghost town, and the wiki link has been broken for how many months now?

Actually, everything's roughly status quo ante.

Devlog not getting posts in months? Yeah, that's nothing new. It was great when it was updated regularly, sure, but, months without devlog posts is the way Data works. Unfortunately.

Forums are as active as they've ever been. Believe me, you want to see a ghost town, go back in time about three years; when you've got maybe ten active users, that's a ghost town. We've got a regular influx of new members; a few of them stay, most don't. Oh well.

And, as Pete said, the Wiki link has only been down for a few weeks.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Duh102 wrote:
It all comes back to the root of all (our) evil. Data can't be arsed to monitor the forum XD

No it seems to me like none of you actually have any power to fix anything except ban everyone who uses any wit at all....or any technical skill to do anything as is evident in this forum section...and the people who offer to fix thing and actually run things are now (perma?)banned?

seems counterintuitive

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:17 am
happy carebear mom

Patriot24 wrote:
seems counterintuitive

You're mostly correct. We don't have much power except to ban, warn, etc. We aren't administrators, we're moderators. As for banning people with technical skill, the only ones I know of that are permabanned were also forum malcontents.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:25 am
DRLGrump

Patriot24 wrote:
Duh102 wrote:

No it seems to me like none of you actually have any power to fix anything except ban everyone who uses any wit at all....or any technical skill to do anything as is evident in this forum section...and the people who offer to fix thing and actually run things are now (perma?)banned?

seems counterintuitive

Could you please cite some of the people who, because they used "wit", were permabanned?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

That would be Daman, because Patriot is also daman.

oops.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 am

Tomaster wrote:
Patriot24 wrote:
Duh102 wrote:

seems counterintuitive

Could you please cite some of the people who, because they used "wit", were permabanned?

ProjektThor, Daman(like grif said), Metal Meltdown, Kelas, anyone else who has a gray name?

I can see kelas got banned for "fighting the weasel", yeah, and permanently at that.

For some reason I doubt the few people in the gray usergroup are the only people who are banned.

Quote:
because Patriot is also daman.

That's a load. Don't mods have IP checking powers? Check it. I'm no good with software, and isn't that what he handled?

I usually just log in download mods(and not subscribe to the drama) but man you guys sure throw stuff out there.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 pm
happy carebear mom

Patriot24 wrote:
ProjektThor, Daman(like grif said), Metal Meltdown, Kelas, anyone else who has a gray name?
If you're implicating that everyone who has ever been banned was done for "having wit", you've got quite the silly idea there. The people you specifically mentioned were warned about their behavior long before they were banned and had plenty of time to clean up their act.
Patriot24 wrote:
For some reason I doubt the few people in the gray usergroup are the only people who are banned.
Correct, though to the best of knowledge only alts and bots are in the phpbb banning system.
Patriot24 wrote:
Don't mods have IP checking powers? Check it. I'm no good with software, and isn't that what he handled?
Finding out how to use a proxy takes about thirty seconds of google research, so the only way IPs are useful is if they match. IPs not matching means nothing.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:38 pm

I am Kelas.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next