View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Upgrades 

Post Re: Forum Upgrades
No, no big deal, just the equivalent of a bug report.
Unread posts is a very nice feature, though I keep clicking it instead of new posts out of habit. Also no biggie. Nice to see an update.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:46 am
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

We'll probably have a new skin soonish - this is only temporary. That said, we'll probably keep it as an option, assuming weasel is okay with that.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:30 am
Profile WWW

If you could also be sure to have the old skin as an option in the future, unlike right now, and leave it that way, that would just be swell.
And I am yet another advocate of margins.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:43 am
happy carebear mom

CrazyMLC wrote:
OH MAN
THE MARGINS
I DIDN'T NOTICE BEFORE

I just alerted Weasel of the fix for this, up to him if he changes it before we go to a new skin.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:03 am

I'm scared to hit ctrl+shirt+r after all the things people have said. I've still got the old skin cached by the look of things.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:16 am
Profile WWW

CrazyMLC wrote:
The real problem to me is that when you cut posts out of the post count it isn't an accurate depiction of how active a member is.
And isn't that the whole point of showing the post count?

According to MY post count, I'm not that active at all. Which is the exact opposite of what it should be.
My two cents? (If you can) Put an OT Post count below it.

EDIT: YellowOrange is back :-(

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:56 am
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
Post count is completely irrelevant. I have, what, 545 now? And I'm a moderator. Quality over quantity. That being said, please refrain from worrying/boasting about your post count, it really means nothing, and I will dole out warnings if I see it being blatantly done.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 am

Exactly my point. It doesn't matter.

The LOL OFF TOPIC DOESNT COUNT BECAUSE IT HAS FORUM GAMES mentality is all centered around the LOL LOOK AT MY POST COUNT IM AWESOME mentality.
Why?... because the people who base their pride and joy on post count are emasculated by people with high post counts, and inherently want to prevent people from having a higher post count than them.

However, post count isn't related to 'quality' of posts... at least, it shouldn't be.
It's supposed to be just a simple number pertaining to the number of posts you have.

I merely wish for it to simply be the number of posts you have, not the number of posts you have that fit some sort of weird standard.

If we really want to keep track of quality we can install some sort of karma system.

On a slightly different note, are we going to have the corners of the banners replaced with what they used to be any time soon? I think WJ had a Halloween theme with the relevant images.

EDIT:
I looked back a few pages on the site support forum, and found this:
venn177 wrote:
Why is there like a 150 pixel border on each side of the forums now?

You're breaking a lot more than you're fixing, Jamesy.

I suppose we only had margins since like a year ago. Feels like it was there longer! XD

... but I couldn't find the Halloween theme. I KNOW, for sure, that WJ uploaded it once so people could edit it if they want.
I remember because I was wanting to mess with it...

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:26 am
Profile WWW

Dauss wrote:
Post count is completely irrelevant. I have, what, 545 now? And I'm a moderator. Quality over quantity. That being said, please refrain from worrying/boasting about your post count, it really means nothing, and I will dole out warnings if I see it being blatantly done.

I agree with this. I wish the avatar info was off by default like those pesky signatures, I'd like a clean, minimanistic and informative layout.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:56 am

A word count would be slightly more indicative of forum activity, though there are still pitfalls with people like miles. Where'd he go? I almost miss his crazy ramblings.. Regardless, post count coupled with join date are a fairly effective way of telling how active someone is. If they have >100 posts and have been around for longer than a few months, it's quite likely that they're going to be around for a while and (because they haven't been kicked out) from that point it's fairly safe to assume "this person is not a total moron".

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:28 am
Profile WWW

Bla bla bla. Please leave the yellow/orange layout as a option. I like it :D

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:27 pm

Word count ÷ post count would neat

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 pm
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
Let me state again. Your post count and forum activity are completely irrelevant. If you're looking for respect as a forum veteran, just post intelligently. People will take notice. I don't have to look at post count or join date to know that Geti, MLC, or any of the other forum regulars are deserving of respect, I just know because I've seen their posts before and they're generally above normal quality.

You really shouldn't concern yourself with a number. It's like anyone who worries about their Kill Death Ratio and isn't being sponsored to play video games. It just makes them look like over obsessed tools.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:45 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Dauss wrote:
The truth.

The truth is spoken. I am well aware that I am a horribly inept newb, but that doesn't mean I don't want to change. Eventually, I hope to get at least some respect here. It might take a while, but...

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:50 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

the next person (and anyone else after that) who talks, at all, about post count, anywhere

is guaranteed a ban

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next