View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Image resizing? 

Post Image resizing?
Every image on this forums seems to be resized when posted, causing it to become blurred and harder to see. I noticed this first in the Picture Wars thread where I assumed it was just because we were posting pretty big images that were actually slightly larger than the page even on my pretty big monitor, but from browsing other threads it seems to happen to images that would easily fit on one page even without being resized.
Is there a reason for this or is it some kind of bug?
I'm pretty certain that this isn't just me (or at least, just isn't my browser) because zooming in or out with ctrl+mousewheel just seems to increase the effect.
Before I was just sort of tolerating it (you can still right click > view to look at things in the correct resolution) but when changed my avatar, at the same time increasing it from 52x52 to 62x62 and the same thing happened, which annoyed me to no end as it was a tiny increase in size and it still fit easily under my name. After further investigating (by copying and pasting a screenshot over the actual file) the board actually appeared to be INCREASING my avatar in size, despite the fact that I entered the exact pixel width and height into the relevant fields.
I later fixed it by entering its size as 61x61 despite the fact that this is obviously untrue and it seems to be working now, but I am baffled as to why it wants to increase my avatar by one pixel in the first place.

What causes this? What are the cutoff points?
And can it be fixed somehow or is it just something we have to live with?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:19 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Image resizing?
That really is bizarre, and I have no idea why it would scale your avatar down by a single pixel like that. I've looked through the ACP, but I can't find any settings that would cause that - I guess there must be a mod installed somewhere that I can't see, or PHPBB just does that for whatever reason.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 am
Profile WWW

It wasn't even doing that, it's scaling up which really seems counterproductive if it's an addon meant to limit sizes :/
But this is how firefox tells me it is, does it look clear and properly sized on your screen or is it some weird problem with my computer scaling everything down one pixel, but only on this specific website?
I'm starting to think I'm hallucinating or something

Edit:
It probably is just some weird thing with my browser, because someone else I asked isn't getting the same problem but it's not the usual problem I have with having accidentally scaled everything with the mousewheel so I'm not quite sure what
I'll try clearing my cache or addons or reinstalling or something

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:59 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Well, uh... According to Firefox, the image itself is 62x62. In the forum view, it's resized to 61x61, because that's how you entered it. I set it to 62x62, and you'll notice that it's now in its full, pixelated glory.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40 am
Profile WWW

No I think you misunderstood
I set it to 61x61 because the forum appears to be bumping it up one pixel each time, and if set to 62x62 it increases to 63x63 and becomes all blurry on my display (like it is now that you have changed it, so thanks for trying but I am setting it back now :P)
If I set it to 61x61 then the forum increases it to 62x62 and it displays properly because it is now at the right dimensions

I just don't know if this is just a problem with my display or everyone's
If the problem is with me then my avatar should look a little blurred at the moment, if it's a board problem then it should be displaying crisp and clear

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

With it set to 61x61, it looks blurry to me. If you set it to 62x62, it doesn't. I'm not sure what's wrong, but it's definitely on your end, unless for some reason I'm the only one seeing it correctly.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

It looks blurry to me. Try setting it to 62x62.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:30 am
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Just set it to 0x0.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]