View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Coloured-username Rankings 

Post Re: Coloured-username Rankings
Pyrorex wrote:

TrouserDemon wrote:
And personally I believe any form of ranking other than moderators and normal users is elitist.

Everyone is basically equal.

In theory. In actuality, not so much.

But even so, a ranking system wouldn't help matters.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:21 am

TrouserDemon wrote:
Pyrorex wrote:

TrouserDemon wrote:
And personally I believe any form of ranking other than moderators and normal users is elitist.

Everyone is basically equal.

In theory. In actuality, not so much.

But even so, a ranking system wouldn't help matters.

Why is everyone so anti-elitist, in reality everyone has a characteristic which makes them (as long as said skill is to a large extent) part of an elitist group for said ability. I have a far above average intellegence and that makes me smarter than most people, Athletes are more physically capable than most poeple, etc. You can't escape the fact that everyone is different and that some people are better than others in a field. To put this in context for the forum, people who post good mods, make worthwhile posts, and keep an intellegent attitude should be held in higher regard from the 1337 typing, moronic spamwhore.

Definition of Elitism; Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.

Last edited by AlphaCommando on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:39 am

So where do I come in this social ranking?

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:40 am

That is up for the majority to decide..although I would say you can be considered a valuable member.

I'm just saying that in reality, in a job setting, etc. elitism is a prevalent system.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:42 am

Well thanks.

But if you said that I was a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ n00b then I wouldn't be happy.

The point is that by doing this you are going to make people unhappy.

It's better not to point out a person's flaws unless he is unaware of them.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:45 am

It would be interesting to see this implemented, maybe a semi-private system where the user sees how people rank him [go to their page and literally vote either like/hate, 1-10, or ect.] and the user then brags his or her [lol yea right] score.

I wonder how I sum up, I know you see me as annoying, but I'd like to think I do contribute a little.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:46 am
Profile WWW

I think you're another valued poster.

When were you annoying?

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:47 am

My quest in life is not to make people feel better about themselves, but to make life better for humanity. You can't improve a person by lying to them about their faults.
Besides; this isn't about new people, that would be like judging a baby on it's skills, wait till the're older before one can judge at what they are good at.

Last edited by AlphaCommando on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:48 am

How would this make life better for humanity?

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:49 am

I'm talking about the big picture in life, I want to go into a medical field to help humanity. This could be applied to the forum though...by having everyone want to go to a higher standard, everyone benefits from a lack of idiot posters.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:51 am

You have a point, but what about when people who got stuck in a hole of bad ratings?

How would they claw their way out when everyone ignores their posts because of their poor ratings?

I do like the idea of rankings that only you can see, so you know what other people think of you without the whole forum being told.

Last edited by TrouserDemon on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:52 am

TrouserDemon wrote:
I think you're another valued poster.

When were you annoying?

LOL

ask pyro.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 am
Profile WWW

TrouserDemon wrote:
You have a point, but what about he people who got stuck in a hole of bad ratings?

How would they claw their way out when everyone ignores their posts because of their poor ratings?

One of the inherent falws of such a system, however; it probably can be circumvented with a little thinking.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:54 am

Namely, posting topics people can't say no to or voting for yourself on another account :P.

Another historical point from the Soldat forums; it also failed because of the general dislike amoung older users. These older users would proudly display, in their signatures, signs prompting people to rate them a zero - demonstrating how one could unbalance the system.

Maybe the stats don't have to be permanent - every month or so the scores could be wiped or decreased by a predetermined percentage.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:00 am

Raithah wrote:
Maybe the stats don't have to be permanent - every month or so the scores could be wiped or decreased by a predetermined percentage.

Now that is just ♥♥♥♥'ing stupid. Forget it kay?

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:35 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next