View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anti Air Missile 

Post Re: Anti Air Missile
411570N3 wrote:
Pretty good, but could use a BunkerModule and pinning.

seconded, it took me quite a while before I realised this was a craft, searched all over for it... :oops:

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:50 pm
Loose Canon

Its a CRAFT?!
Well, that explains why it was unfindable.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:16 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, sorry for that :P

I tried a lot of stuff, AEmitter, MOSRotating and ACrab didn't work quite well, so I really had to take a craft, because it's the only thing you can strip down to being a dull object capable of doing nothing (but run lua).

CC really needs somekind of Object that can't turn into terrain and can't do anything except of existing.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:22 pm
Forum Moderator

DrLuke wrote:
Yeah, sorry for that :P

I tried a lot of stuff, AEmitter, MOSRotating and ACrab didn't work quite well, so I really had to take a craft, because it's the only thing you can strip down to being a dull object capable of doing nothing (but run lua).

CC really needs somekind of Object that can't turn into terrain and can't do anything except of existing.

What about the brains?

Quote:
AddActor = Actor
PresetName = Brain Case
AddToGroup = Brains

Just remove the AddToGroup = Brains

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:34 pm

You might check out the Shishi turret in the Darkstorm mod, if you haven't already. Darlos used a good bit of lua wizardry, but the end result is that a craft is bought, flown to position, then scuttled. After a few switcheroos, you have a bunker module with a turret actor. You might glean an idea from that process.

Definitely downloading this mod, as I foresee this as a crucial part of my "hardened missile silo" idea, along with the manually-controlled doors I saw a while back....

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Is fudge awesome fun to use on magnot (sp?) mission.
Hmmm. If you need to make it a craft, at least make it fall from the sky at a normal speed. Also: No friendly lock on plox.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:43 pm

It shouldn't lock onto friendly crafts?

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:58 pm

What about the brains?
[/quote]

Ok, only problem is that I can't put them into a craft in the buy menu.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:54 pm
Forum Moderator

You could do something similiar to what I did in my NovaMind mod (Or rather got Roon3 to do) and make a lua'd actor that deletes itself and places an instance of whatever you want in its place

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Looks good, I'm Dling.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:26 am

I like it. Not the awesome power of a death gun but it still is interesting. Can you make it so their is less FF I mean on a small map this is useless. Kinda funny with the UAV mod though.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm afraid that FF is the risk you have to take for using this device. It has it's good and it's bad sides.

Or do you mean that missiles actually lock onto your own units?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Oops. Nvm, what I thought was friendly lock on was it homing in on one random drop crate on the other side of the map. My bad.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 pm

DrLuke wrote:
I'm afraid that FF is the risk you have to take for using this device. It has it's good and it's bad sides.

Or do you mean that missiles actually lock onto your own units?

well they lock on but gib so if you have your actors getting out then BOOM... your buddy got his head taken off (not the biggest problem... I would prop. take his head off for fun anyway)

BUT, The worst ff comes from the missile taking the shortest route by going though your units... which sux.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:18 pm

I like this mod a lot, but I have noticed a few minor issues and possible bugs.

For starters, is a few things I noticed, such as when ordering an AAM Cannon in battle.
A: It is slow getting to the ground, not good on those 'high' maps. It might be better to make it 'fall' a bit faster.
B: Nothing to stabilize it as it 'falls', not good if something (like a stray bullet) sends it 'spinning' and it lands upside down, it will auto self destruct.
C: It seems to slowly 'bleed to death' if it takes damage from shots or fragments from explosions.
D: On occasion (1 in 50?) a piece of the first stage will still be smoking after a period of time.
A & B should be simple to fix, C & D are more of a minor nuisance and not really a major problem.

Things I have noticed if I have 2 or more AAM Cannons at the same time.
1: On occasion, only 1 will fire missiles, the others do not fire at all.
1A: Only 1 will fire missiles, but it fires more often, as if one or more of the others are still working, but all launching from a AAM Cannon.
2: On occasion, a missile deployed by the first stage will go after either another AAM Cannon, or the AAM Cannon that launched the first stage in the first place.
3: Relating to 1, 1A and 2, many/all of the AAM Cannons suddenly fire normally, but most of the missiles go after the AAM Cannon that launched them or adjacent AAM Cannons, usually taking out all but one of the launcers, with the one that was firing normally all along being the usual survivor.

The AAM Cannons were on the ground during these incidents, the hit AAM Cannons were the only things in the missile's path. At least one instance saw missiles making an active attemp to seek an AAM Cannon right next to the launching AAM Cannon, the missile had to make a sort of ? shaped path to hit, so it was obviously targeting the adjacent AAM Cannon.
These 'friendly fire' instances seem to mainly occur when there are no enemy craft on the map, including 3.
Another instance had a potential friendly fire incident, but an enemy craft appeared as a missile was halfway back down to an AAM Cannon, and it turned to go after the newly arrived enemy craft that was some 2 screens worth away.

I can think of two possible suggestions not relating to the above issues.
First, the AAM Cannon is a bit cheap at 30 oz. With all the trouble and mayhem it can stir up for enemies, I could see it easily having a cost of at least 100 oz.
Second, I might suggest making a new first stage design, perhaps something that is just a little longer and thicker than the missile itself. This would help to reduce the size of first stage piles that can build up over time, and seem a little more realistic then the big green box.

Despite these issues, it is still a good mod.
Especially for the entertainment value of AAMs causing a drop ship getting knocked of balance causing it to fly into the ground upside down at high speed (on a map maybe 2 screens high), and for a rocket surviving several AAMs but parallel parking itself at high speed into a cliff face.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next