View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next
 The UNSC, a HALO mod! v4.0 

Post Re: UNSC.rte, a HALO mod! (WIP) V3
That's great to hear.

i don't think any one faction has a proper "heavy standard" unit. in darkstorm and such all the heavy actors are always way to weak. but the heavy actors that aren't weak and are sturdy enough are different from normal actors like they can only hold a certain kind of weapon or they don't have a jetpack or something.

Spartans are shock troops at their very core. and in this situation it means they're tough and can rip ♥♥♥holes in two just by looking at them.

but you know all that.

i have one giant suggestion though that just came to me. have the spartan's shields encompass the actor's body and weapon so the shield prevents that stupid thing that happens with heavy actors where their weapons are insanely more fragile than they are. that's another big problem with heavy actors in cortex command, their weapons tend to break way before they do.

having the shield protect the gun would mean we wouldn't have to deal with "flimsy weapon-strong actor" syndrome

all in all this mod seems to be shaping up to be pretty sex. the only thing though is i agree that the actor's heads are too big. and if they need to be that big that means their bodies are too small.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:38 am

Haven't you heard? Spartans never die (but when they do, you can buy an exact replica). Lol, don't worry, they'll be cool, otherwise I won't feel good about releasing them.

Alright then, i'll look into the Bobble head problem. I most likely will increase character height and body stuff, cause the heads look nice.

Are all of the heads too big, including Marines, or is it just the ODSTs and the Spartans?

and about the shields over weapons, it would indeed protect the weapon, but that would drain the shields and jeopardize the actor's own life. I'll just make the weapons really hard to break, I mean, who's ever seen a weapon break in Halo? :P joint strength 370 or something and stuff, while play testing I haven't broken anything but secondary weapons while fighting against zealots and their evil green laser beam things with huge clips and insane dps.
just my opinion :???:

thanks for your help btw neoseeker :grin:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:31 pm

IMO, shrink down the head size for everyone but the Spartans, and make the Spartans bodies bigger, that way they are bigger that the average soldier, as they're supposed to be.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:21 pm

I seriously want to see Spartans vs Spehss Mehreens.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Really awesome mod and i enjoy it very much. I'd just like to know if you could add a brief changelog at the bottom, something of a quick dropdown menu so it makes things easier if someone were to check for any updates?

I'm really looking forward to seeing Spartans and i can't wait to see what else you have in store. :D

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:55 pm

Hellevator wrote:
I seriously want to see Spartans vs Spehss Mehreens.

If you get the heavy bolter running, Spartans will lose. Total fun killer.

Fixing up sprites and stuff.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:46 pm

that sounds like a good solution if you make the dents invisible. the problem with having a weapon that has a high durability is that after a while the weapon will be covered in dents so much that you wont even see the weapon.

regarding spartans
the actual person inside the suit is almost seven feet tall.

the suit itself probably adds 8 inches (from the heels of their boots to the tippy top of their helmet). not to mention the bulk added by the ceramic plating

I have read the extremely early halo fluff books (the first ones to come out) and they say Spartans stand at around 8 feet tall armored up

another cool thing could be spartan variants. because in the fluff, maybe even in the game universe the suit (whichever incarnation it may be, mark V/VI/etc) for every model of the suit there were variants for specialty soldiers.

and i'm always happy to give informed input into mods that look extremely promising. don't thank me, you're the one with the talent.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 pm

NeoSeeker wrote:
that sounds like a good solution if you make the dents invisible. the problem with having a weapon that has a high durability is that after a while the weapon will be covered in dents so much that you wont even see the weapon.

Same reason I made wound marks nullsprites in the 40K recomp! When you set the wound limits really high, it gets silly seeing all of the dents on something. There might be a more elegant way to make guns not be hit by shots using scripts or something.

Ed: You could also use a weapon repair script, similar to UniTec.

-------------------

NeoSeeker wrote:
another cool thing could be spartan variants. because in the fluff, maybe even in the game universe the suit (whichever incarnation it may be, mark V/VI/etc) for every model of the suit there were variants for specialty soldiers.

At the very least, an EVA variant with a more powerful jetpack, and a Scout/Recon variant with semi-stealth capabilities could both be appropriate -- though modelling every single variant would probably be a waste of time due to the differences being minimal at best.

As for height issues, remember that concessions sometimes have to be made for playability.

And heads, well... heads are always oversized. Just look at all the stock actors. ;) Can you all imagine trying to get headshots on enemies if they had normal-sized heads?

Last edited by Arcalane on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:05 am
Profile YIM

Its a really fun mod and it works on mac. I have a suggestion maybe in a later version a master chief unit which cost a lot and spartans which arrant as much as master chief

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:07 am

Arcalane wrote:
At the very least, an EVA variant with a more powerful jetpack, and a Scout/Recon variant with semi-stealth capabilities could both be appropriate -- though modelling every single variant would probably be a waste of time due to the differences being minimal at best.

As for height issues, remember that concessions sometimes have to be made for playability.

And heads, well... heads are always oversized. Just look at all the stock actors. ;) Can you all imagine trying to get headshots on enemies if they had normal-sized heads?

lol, thats where I started to make the spartan heads. Ronin heads are a tiny bit inflated, but its not really noticeable cause it makes CC feel like CC (imo). But then, I added the Spartan/ODST helmet which added 1-3 pixels all around the head. :P

I'll keep in mind the different varients, though unfortunately you wont really have the same customizeablility as Reach, or even Halo 3. You can expect different spartans, kindof like how Ronin has those slightly different actors.

About the height thing, i'm a huge halo fan, evident since im not stopping on this mod yet, so i've read the books and played three games from their franchise, so im completely familiar with the height difference between Spartans and marines. I can make them slightly taller, but any closer to the actual ratio of Spartan:Marine would look awkward.
The fact is, in 1st person mode, its hard to tell when you're taller than somebody. For the amount of hours i've spent on the Halo campaign, I haven't noticed the height difference, and when I do, its between me and a Brute thats about to smash my face in.

The Spartans will be a couple of pixels taller, and believe me, you'll notice it, but any more and it really does look weird (and it makes preserving their legs during combat significantly harder). Sorry :oops: :oops:

btw, thanks for the feedback guys, its really helping me out! If you guys want, I could make an early release once I get Kat polished up. You may or may not see shielding.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:07 pm

AndyChanglee wrote:
The Spartans will be a couple of pixels taller, and believe me, you'll notice it, but any more and it really does look weird (and it makes preserving their legs during combat significantly harder).

Another thing would be not fitting into bunkers, that would be bad.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm

well i have faith in you to do the right thing.

i'm actually getting really excited because it seems the modding scene for CC is starting back up again.

there are at least 5 different factions (of good quality) out right now that are mods still being developed.

a few months ago darkstorm and a few other greats died in the official development department.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:00 pm

I'll miss darkstorm, it was the first mod i've ever installed.

The unsc Grenade Launcher is kind of a hassle to make, due to the totally different firing modes. I'm going to have to use lua.

but... i'm not too sure about how to do that :oops: . I'll look to see if Gotcha! already has some stuff that I could paste together.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:45 pm

AndyChanglee wrote:
The unsc Grenade Launcher is kind of a hassle to make

That grenade launcher and the needler, already done, here

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:49 pm

I need to dig deeper in this place :P thanks!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next