View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next
 thesoupiest's Combined Forces - R.I.P. 

Post Re: thesoupiest's Combined Forces - Release 3 (5/27/11)
Ain't she a beaut.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:29 pm

So... What ever happened to the semi-planned release?

Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:16 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

thesoupiest wrote:
Ain't she a beaut.

Is that a huge war-hammer for a huge mech!?

Or just a common huge cannon? =P

By the way, it's one of the sexiest sprites I have seen in a long, long time.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 am

Emogotsaone wrote:
So... What ever happened to the semi-planned release?
Nothing has happened.

Now, I have half a brain, so I can't mod this week due to my finals. Next week begins the summer, and thus a joyous new age of modding.

The next release will rebalance every faction (buffing the Green Storm, of course) and introduce both of the new Coalition turrets. I also plan on getting a working version of the Silver Bane done.
Then I will begin adding all of the final weapons to the factions. I have a balance of how much of what sort of things that each faction should have, and I'm planning on bringing up every faction to this new standard. Unsurprisingly, Red Loki needs the most new weapons, initially stemming from an inability to think of anything creative enough to fit into the Red Loki style.

Expect the release within the coming weeks, with a slew of flirtatious teasers along the way.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:13 am

Dev update:
The Machine Gun Turret (now the Light Cannon Turret) has been finished in absolutely record time. The Heavy Cannon Turret will be completed next, followed by the Hall Monitor and lastly the Missile Silo.
I'm strongly considering scrapping the Blaster Turret for quality-control purposes and leaving large-scale defenses to the Coalition. I'm thinking that I should make the Browncoat faction the base-builders, with their own set of bunker modules and interesting defenses, like tiny, low-caliber 1x1 turrets that only face one direction, so you can use them as a wall and as a defense. Also 1x1 floor-mounted fire traps that would spew murderous flame straight up at anything that passes by. However, I can't decide whether or not to make it a constant stream, a constant stream with pauses (like something out of Bowser's castle), or a stream that only activates when a target is over it, deactivating when there is not.
These ideas make me want to turn the Browncoats into what I think they should be - a faction of heavily-armored soldiers building their strange fortresses deep underground. The armor is actually a hermetically-sealed life-support exo-suit, as the creatures inside are extremely small and frail. They would have the fewest weapons of any faction, made up for by the huge number of Bunker Modules that they would get.
I've been pondering what sort of craft I'll be making. Certainly, the Coalition will get their own sort of drop crate, non-rotating and much larger and more square. However, I can't imagine what I would give the Ronin, or the Undead for that matter...

A forum-goer commented on the sprite for the Heavy Cannon Turret, saying that it looked like a hammer for a giant robot mech. Hmmmmm...

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You could try something like what Geti did with Zombies '09 with the undead craft, as in an uncontrollable meteor-like pod that comes crashing down from the skies.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:57 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

What do you mean with that thing of hammer for a mech?
Ooooohhhhhhh

Nice idea on giving Green Storm an epic defense system, and also a very good idea on making the browncoats with a lot of bunker modules and thingies too.

I already wanted bunker modules from you.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 pm

I must say, that's an absolutely brilliant explanation of the Browncoats. I love it.
As for the flame-traps, you could have them activate via proximity to an enemy, and then just do some fiddly ♥♥♥♥ with doors. Of course, you're rather better at modding than I am, so I imagine you don't need me telling you what to do.
(The Bowser's castle thing is a hilarious image, though. I like that one.)

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:50 am

I love base defenses so very much, so I am eagerly awaiting version 4. Sounds amazing.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Post Re: thesoupiest's Combined Forces - Release 4 (6/17/11)
I couldn't stop myself.

Release 4 is out the door (rhyme on time not intended). It's definitely the smallest so far, and I feel really guilty for naming it release 4 when it's really more like release 3.5. Anyway, it's got the Hall Monitor, an adorable, 12x12 defensive turret for only 50 gold. It fires 3 of the smallest rounds I've made so far in a wide spread, so it's completely useless beyond its 50-pixel SharpLength. It's the reason I pushed out the release. I made the whole thing in about 15 minutes, and it was so satisfying and cute and effective for its price that I decided "well, this has to go to the public right now."

It's such a warm, fuzzy feeling placing a couple Hall Monitors in your base and watching them go. They fire rather fast, and the AI handles them nicely. They seem to fire in volleys, and when you have at least three there's usually never a period of time greater than half a second unpunctuated by a gunshot. The AI handles them very nicely.

For 50 gold, it's a worthy investment. At the closer ranges forced by an indoor environment, a single Hall Monitor generally dispatches a single soldier, and can do this over and over until it dies, which is usually around three or four (non-retarded) AI attackers, already more than paying back its gold value. The better you are at placing them, the more reliably they kick back intruders, and in greater numbers. A larger, slightly more wide-open room, like the 144x144 Hub module provides a very good space in which to work with Hall Monitors.

It's all a matter of placing them so they have line of sight to the enemy, but without this line of sight interfering with the position of another Hall Monitor so as to prevent too much damage. Admittedly, the wide spread of the gun means that they will be damaged unless you really go out of your way to stop it, but the goal is to put as many pellets into the enemy at once without compromising your own defenses.

So yeah.

There's a little surprise in the Green Storm folder that will be officially released over the weekend - the Light Cannon Turret. It took a lot of people play-testing and criticizing this one for it to finally get balanced. The only reason it's not officially in this release is because it doesn't have custom gibs yet.

Enjoy and, please, comment and criticize! The more, the merrier!

EDIT: P.S. - It was a total ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥ to do the ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ offsets on the ♥♥♥♥ son-of-a-bitch Hall Monitor so that it was properly ♥♥♥♥ centered and didn't go off a stupid ♥♥♥♥ pixel every time it HFlipped Jesus stage-diving ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:08 am

Location: [Insert ominous, personally significant and extremely obvious location Here, e.g. behind you]
This is turning into a masterpiece. I like the Hall Monitor especially. You're right, there's a warm fuzzy feeling you get when 4 of them mounted in a hub block tear an invader to shreds.

EDIT: Also, there's backslashes in LCT.ini and DB.ini in Green Storm.rte. I will report any further problems for macs.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:08 am
Profile WWW

Soupy you want criticism but you make mods that are so hard to criticize. I won't lie though, I don't like the wound system for green storm, the heavy can only take 3 shot before it becomes to much and he bleeds out like that.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:38 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

thesoupiest wrote:
EDIT: P.S. - It was a total ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥ to do the God-♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-damned mother-♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ offsets on the mother-♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ son-of-a-♥♥♥♥♥ Hall Monitor so that it was properly mother-♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ centered and didn't go off a stupid ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ pixel every time it HFlipped Jesus stage-diving ♥♥♥♥-flipping Christ-♥♥♥♥.

Best cursing I've read in a while =P

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:25 pm

111herbert111 wrote:
Soupy you want criticism but you make mods that are so hard to criticize. I won't lie though, I don't like the wound system for green storm, the heavy can only take 3 shot before it becomes to much and he bleeds out like that.
I was waiting for someone to knock that system so I had an excuse to remove it. I thought it would be a good idea at first, but later I realized it wasn't very sensible to have something so strong die so fast.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I didn't thought that. But now that you are saying it, the heavy looked stronger because it could take a lot of wounds without dying, it limbs where too hard to destroy, but after a battle it dies rather quick.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next