View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Battlegrounds (Gamemode) V0.53 

Battlegrounds (Gamemode) V0.53
Battlegrounds

This is a new gamemode for cortex command. Bear in mind that this is a early version of the gamemode.

Important this is meant for player vs player combat but you can play vs the AI if you really want. It is also possible to play 2v2 sharing brain

This gamemode enables a control point system. Each team has a base and it is the one who kills the opponent brains first who wins. To get into his base though you need to control every control point on the map. To cap a point you simply stand by the console under it. Flags indicates owners of the point. When you own a point troops will be transported to the control point's teleporter reducing walk time of your troops.

You will get 4 different soldiers in the fight, each with unique weapons and weaknesses.

The first type is your regular coalition soldier light armed with a compact assault rifle. This guy does a good job against enemy snipers.

The second type it the sniper. He has no armor at all, but with his sniper rifle he is more than capable of keeping distance. They counter heavy troopers quite well.

I have nerfed the sniper quite a bit because I saw it would become the ultimate camper fest weapon. It got a max range around 800 pixels but the max will disappear if you have the slightest height advantage over your target.

The third type is the heavy soldier. He is armed with a shotgun and will bring death to any nearing him. He is very good for keeping a defensive line at the front and for a last stand.

The last type is the heavy trooper. He is a walking tank, he uses his heavy duty jetpack to assault his enemies from above with flamers.

To do list:

Make another scene for the gamemode. This one is crap. I thought that a standard flat wrapping scene would fit perfectly for standard play, but it is too chaotic.
Make so that anyone (mostly me :P) can make new scenes for the gamemode without changing any code.
Making a screen so that you can see the process of capping without looking at the flag for lower resolutions

More far fetched things i want to make.
Economic system: Ability to build drills at control points which will give you money, but each control point has a set amount of gatherable gold.
Turn based: After one or two minutes of combat you will get in strategic mode where every soldier waits until the strategic mode is over.
Building and buying: in the strategic mode you should be able to choose which units you want to buy for the next round and buying upgrades.

Credits to:
CaveCricket48 for the flag sprite from sprite dump
thesoupiest for the coding of the heavy trooper
Promster for the spriting of the heavy trooper
adasx10 for ripping and animating the pieces of the heavy trooper

Update:
Added difficulties: higher diff means less units to you and more to the enemy and the enemy will also get better weapons.
Shotgun balance: Buffed power by 30%, but increased spread and airrisistance
Mauler shotgun added: something the enemy will get at higher diffs. Have changed mauler quite a bit. should have longer range than the regular shotgun and increased power.
Napalm flamer added: same as above, without changes.

Fixed for more than 3 players I believe

Attachments:
Battlegrounds.rte.zip [511.73 KiB]
Downloaded 1286 times

Last edited by akblabla on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Post Re: Battlegrounds (Gamemode) V0.50
This is pretty fun, just tried it out (against the AI) and some of your ideas would be very useful.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:24 pm

I just ran through a round of this -
Holy ♥♥♥♥.
The round went by in about five minutes, but it was by far the best match of Cortex Command I've ever played. With the increased walk speeds, it was very fast-paced. The added feature of units clipping through each other combined with the high speed made ground travel viable, and the air became dangerous due to the large numbers of units that would be on the field at a time.
Class-based unit composition was a great idea - each unit had a very distinct purpose. The sniper was for just that - sniping, the light soldier was great for a standard soldier to blitz at medium range, the heavy soldier was a tougher light with a much more powerful close range gun, and the heavy trooper was a sort of aerial angel of death, the only unit durable enough to survive going airborne and the only one with a jetpack to make it a good idea - and then raining down napalm-flavored death from above.
The increased AI range and the various improvements to unit movement made the enemy an actual threat - not a dim-witted, slow-responding meat puppet. There were large numbers of enemy AI and it was impossible to hulk out as a one man army. I was actually gathering forces and using AI commands to mount combined assaults, and then controlled one unit that I needed to perform a more specific task, or to snipe a certain target.
All in all, I give this five stars. All that's really missing is some sort of aerial support - maybe one dropship loaded with thirty bombs every time a checkpoint is captured?

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:59 pm

What'd be also cool would be having different factions to choose as well. This is extremely fun, great stuff as always Akblabla.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:54 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Jomn wrote:
What'd be also cool would be having different factions to choose as well. This is extremely fun, great stuff as always Akblabla.

Definately support this.

Dude, EPIC mode.
But the map is kinda confusing, maybe if it wasn't looped and had both bases at the extremes. Because at some point I get lost in the battlefield.

But I loved the mode, it's epic. The soldiers move faster, that gives it more action. Teleporting, that made it harder to destroy enemy positions, also cool.

Dude, EPIC.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:13 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Freakin' cool. The best CC match I've had in a long time. Shotgun seems to have quite a long range, though.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:28 am

This is almost like the onslaught mode for unreal tournament.
Its AWESOME!!!!!!!!! :D
There should be some sort of base defense other then the shield, small turrets would help.
We should be allowed to use a drop ship to call down bombing runs, it can run off the same controls as the CIR Artillery.

Also If there were more class units it would make this game mode more strategic.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:54 am

Is this for build 24??

User was warned for this post - Posting a dumb question without even trying the mod or looking at post dates - p3lb0x

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:01 am

Commander wrote:
Is this for build 24??

How about you download it and find out?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:06 am

Re: Battlegrounds (Gamemode) V0.50
One of the best game modes I've ever played.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:10 am

Note that this has the same rte name as a set of scenes, so you can only install one or the other.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
Freakin' cool. The best CC match I've had in a long time. Shotgun seems to have quite a long range, though.

Glad you liked it. And yes the shotgun has a bit long range. I accidently gave heavies the standard coalition shotgun and not the version I have made for the mod (which deals more damage at close range but have a good amount of airresistance.
You can enable it in the battlegrounds.lua around line 400, by changing the CreateHDFirearm("Shotgun","coalition.rte") to CreateHDFirearm("Shotgun","Battlegrounds.rte"). I will enable this shotgun as default in the next update.

Quote:
Also If there were more class units it would make this game mode more strategic.

Nah, a few well defined classes with strict purposes and counters makes more strategy in my mind.

Quote:
Note that this has the same rte name as a set of scenes, so you can only install one or the other.

Woops, didn't know the name was already taken. I should have searched before i made the mod :oops:

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 am

This is great!!!

I can imagine playing with someone else, having to save up troops, mount defenses and whatnot. This is very new to CC and is done very well.

Would like to add air strike ability, like a one-chance for the losing team to turn back the tides.

Last edited by The Decaying Soldat on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I dare say, bravo!

This is truly brilliant. I will now precede to pull out my verboseness and give you my critique.

For starters, the classes are simple, yet defined. Well played here, since purchasing actors would serve as an issue. I can hardly visualize a challenge whilst one is utilizing Wit's Behemoth.

As for the map, I think the looping is a bit confusing. I concur with Asklar on that. I won't be too harsh on the map since you already said that you recognize that it is lacking and are planning to fix it. I personally think it was well done, besides the looping and the lack of base complexity (not a large issue, since I spend a maximum of thirty seconds in the enemy base).

Now, to the checkpoint system. Pure brilliance, in every aspect. The mechanics are smooth and look great. The color changing is extremely helpful. I think that the addition of the second floor of the checkpoints is also a smart choice. I have had numerous epic battles that would have been short and boring without that slab of rock between.

All in all, this gamemode is beautiful. The only things that could be changed are the map, and I also think the sound made when new actors get spawned is a bit loud. These issues are minimal, and don't affect gameplay to any bothersome extent.

Again, bravo.

Last edited by Jackal on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:16 pm
Profile WWW

Hmmm... A very good and new kind of mod! I played it (v.s. AI) and it was great fun. I would get rid of the looping and have the four checkpoints in a line to keep the battle in one place, much more fast paced and less confusing in my opinion. Great work!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next