View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 GAU 22e/s 'Micro Minigun' V1.1 

GAU 22e/s 'Micro Minigun' V1.1
Short description: fast weak minigun
Wall o' Text:

We are Halo Manufacturing, and this is our weapon.
She weighs ten kilograms and fires four cent mass-produced cartridges at eight thousand rounds per minute...
It costs sixty four dollars to fire this weapon... for twelve seconds. Or 16oz gold.
Image Image
Shown above: a few hundred rounds and their effect on 11 Azukkis or one door, displaying the incredible power of the GAU22 against fleshy foes, and its ability to eventually cut through even metal armors. The left one is outdated; casings behave as they do in the right gif.

Among man-portable Gatling Gun configurations, it is the most practical for use by a single soldier against unarmored foes. It encumbers the operator minimally with its light weight. It's cheap to fire, with bulk ammunition of simple design and cheap materials. These individual rounds are very small and light, allowing the operator to keep an extreme magazine capacity on tap without major encumbrance. The individually low power of the rounds keeps the recoil easily within control. Frequent high-visibility tracer rounds make it easy to see where you're shooting. The action is simple and externally powered, resulting in a high reliability despite the cheap primer-failure-prone cartridge design. The action is also incredibly fast, and while the .22LR round is often rightfully considered laughable for military applications, we assure you that the accumulative effect of 133 .22LR rounds per second is far more than adequate for antipersonnel applications.

The 4000 round magazine and battery cell are located in the backpack module, which is equipped to our specified operator, who is also equipped with the gun itself. We've added an extra element to the operator's HUD to show the size of his ammo reserve. The weapon can be hand-loaded with only a few rounds if the operator either lacks the backpack module or has emptied it. The specified operator can be ordered in the actors category, pre-equipped with the backpack module and weapon, once you've installed our information to your ordering catalog.
Attachment:
GAU22.rte.rar [168.59 KiB]
Downloaded 2832 times

As the structural integrity of the target increases, the chances of an individual bullet from this inflicting a wound on it decreases by an exponential factor of ten, starting with nearly always wounding zombies, to only occasionally (this at 8000 rounds per minute, so fairly often) wounding doors.

Really, this mod is all about trying to make a realistic handheld gatling gun with full-feature firing rate that isn't horribly overpowered. Please critique. Have I achieved that? Is that concept even possible to achieve with CC's system of terminal ballistics?

Credits:
Myself (Sprites, .ini code, Lua scripting)
DRL (CC)
Geti, Abdul, CC48, and probably some other forum members (lua snippets)
Halo Manufacturing (original weapon)
Oleg Volk (firing sounds)

If you want to use some Lua or the hud bar from this in your mod, that's fine. Credits are nice though.

[won't bother] To do:
-Better fire-prevention when without ammo. Instead of firing a few rounds and dropping it, the device should just be inoperable.
-Different ammo storage method. This sharpness method works easily and well, but only for one type of ammo storage per actor.
-Nerf? Higher exponential factor? Make some rounds too weak to even damage zombies? Lowered RPM? Increased encumbrance?
-Custom operator? Or should the backpack be made equipable by any actor? Should extra mag backpacks be able to be stored in inventory?
-Maybe a system to smooth out aiming adjustments so mouse users' jerky movements can be made into prettier sweeps?

This mod won't be updated. However, Shadow Echelon will feature a similar weapon, which will be updated.

Last edited by Azukki on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:36 am, edited 21 times in total.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:53 am

Post Re: GAU 22e/s 'Micro Minigun' V1.0
Firstly-of-all, the wall 'o text is very informative, and the TF2 reference is comforting and funny.
The weapon itself has a very nice-and-expensive feel too it, and I love the way it seems to 'spit' bullets. The fire sound suits it perfectly. I noticed though that the shells tend to stack up extremely fast, creating small mounds, but I cant think of any way to fix that, so good job anyway. It does however feel weird to have a gun in cortex that doesn't have unlimited ammo. Maybe once the pack is expended, it can only fire reloaded bursts of a few rounds? Just a suggestion.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 am

Well, right now you can pick it up and fire a burst of 2-to-6 rounds if you don't have a loaded backpack. Afterward, you drop it again.

I would rather it be the case that you simply wouldn't be able to fire it without a loaded backpack, or that you could fire from a medium size mag, (10 to 30 rounds) and then reload it instead of dropping it. So if you had the backpack with the gun, you would have an awesome zombie-horde-shredder, if not, you'd practically have a single-shot shotgun, considering the firing rate. :twisted:

Odd that your casing piles are big; I seem to have fixed the casing piling before I fixed the external dependency that rendered the mod unusable. So the casings shouldn't be stacking in a big pile... unless you fixed the mod for yourself instead of downloading the newest update?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:14 am

It is soooo awsome, i liked it a lot, the way she shoots and pwns.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 am

My friend loves miniguns, I hate them but this one is too awesome to hate! He is gonna own me!

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile YIM

I've removed the ability to exploit inherited velocity, so you won't be able to shred dreadnoughts and dropships with high-speed fly-bys anymore.
But I figured that alone wasn't worth an update, so the next version will include that and some other addition/alteration.

Would this be a good addition?
-Another gun
--Also uses the same backpack
--Lighter, cheaper
--Only one barrel
--2500ish RPM
--Overheat feature similar to L4D1's minigun. (For example, after 6 seconds or so of fire, it would overheat and become inoperable for 2 seconds to cool down)
--Replaceable barrels?

Maybe I'll also throw in the P12, even though it wouldn't really be functionally unique or related. But it is was from the 'faction' of Halo Mfg, and a 20 round, bottom-ejecting, pump action, 12 gauge P90 is just hard to pass up.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Quote:
Shown above: a few hundred rounds and their effect on 11 Azukkis or one door.

Lmao Azukkis. :D

I really like the style of your mods and the visual presentation of them. Simple in looks, but still very interesting to look at.
The mod post is well done too.

As for the new gun, its pretty much up to you. If you think you're gonna love it and use it; then by all means, yes.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Azukki wrote:
--Only one barrel

It would be physically impossible to have a single-barrel gun fire at that RPM.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:12 am

I was thinking it would be externally powered as well, with a reciprocating mechanism, so it would be possible, although perhaps impractical.
CC is in the future, so post-space-age materials could be used for the barrel, and if I've got overheating as well stopping you from continuous gunfire over more than a few seconds, I think it'd be reasonable enough, for a game.

But maybe I'll go with 2 fixed barrels with externally powered reciprocating actions to achieve the RPM? 2500 RPM would be totally reasonable, then, since each action would be going at about the rate of an American 180. That may look cooler anyways...

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:09 am

Very nice mini-gun. I especially like how it doesn't effect terrain such as concrete, and hard dirt, but will go through sand & actors with ease.

I have no complaints on the weapon, but I do have a suggestion: Perhaps you could make a drop-ship that has 1 or 2 of these guns mounted on it? I could already see how awesome that would be.

Great job on this mod.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:28 am
Profile WWW

If you go and say it's caseless you could possibly plausibly say it fires that fast.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:27 am
Profile WWW

And that it uses an electrical detonator.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:49 am

This is very good, however I think the tracer is unnecessary since the fire rate is so high.
The mass randomization is a very good idea, it makes each bullet a bit different.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:02 pm

"Insert heavys voice here"

love the design for this weapon. In my opinion it shoots to fats for a small weapon. Larger weapons have larger firing mechanisms and can have larger barrels. so i would maker another gun thats larger but has the same afffect.
Otherwise good mod.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 pm

I was just basing it on the real thing. I made the sprite approximately proportional to the CC M16, the real M16, and the real GAU22e/s MM. And then added grips to it.
They say that it was capable of 8000 rpm, although they also said 3500 rpm was far more 'practical', but where's the fun in that?

Mehman, I agree that the tracers are unnecessary, but those were more of an experiment with trail effects. Maybe the trail effect would be better suited to incendiary projectiles, but I like it, and I dislike removing features from released mods.

Last edited by Azukki on Sat May 07, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next