View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Starship Troopers Mod 

Post Starship Troopers Mod
I was thinking about a mod based on the starship troopers movie (and maybe game too). I've managed to sprite the morita assault rifle so far, and was curious about what people thought of it. criticism accepted.

EDIT-two more guns (sniper and carbine variants) finished, and all 3 shaded (possibly badly-this is my first mod)

Last edited by Ulac on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Post Re: Starship Troopers Mod
Starship troopers? Awesome! It's been a long time since I seen that movie. I'm suprised I havn't seen any mods for it yet. Garry's mod forums have a ton of Starship troopers stuff.

Anyway, The rifle looks good. I support your Mod! :)

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Location: I cant tell you where I am, but if you tell me where you live I could tell you where I will be.
is that going to be the final sprite? cause it needs shading....
This sounds like a pretty good idea, and if you shade the gun it will look fantastic. :bounce:

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Thankyou to both pieman and mini-whitty. If anyone has audio files of the gunshots from the film could you send me them, as I'm having trouble finding any on the internet. thanks. criticism still wanted.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Remember copyright laws for the sounds.

Also, from what I hear, the movie sucks giant monkey balls.
According to my 99.99% reliable english teacher, who thinks his cat has magical powers.

Still, I'd like to see where this goes.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:17 pm

It's a truly, truly awful film, but it's a lot of fun to watch if you manage your expectations.

I wonder if a Bug could somehow be made from a Crab template? That would be a sight to see, with good sprites/leg animations you could maybe make it convincing.

The more i think about it the more stuff from that movie fits with the combat style of this game, with the expendable soldiers, dropships, tunnels etc. A mod of that universe could really find a home here.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:43 pm
Profile WWW

If you pretend that Starship Troopers is a tongue-in-cheek comedy of sorts, its a hilarious movie with great over-the-top characters. And if you've read the book, just try not to think about it.

So, uh, yeah. There weren't too many infantry weapons presented in the movie. Just variations of the same assault rifle. Oh, and a nuke launcher. The military gear didn't change much between different soldiers either.

Now, if you want more than one unit, you could have a dropship that gibs a pilot when destroyed. Otherwise, all the ground forces look the same.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Profile YIM

You would have to fool around with the legs ALOT because as I remember, the bugs' legs were bent backward instead of forward.

Also, walkpaths would be problematic. :oops:

But ya, Starship troopers and their hilariously bad dialouge would fit very nicely in here. What, with the giant mech warriors, MANY different reskins of the same damn people, and ninja dudes froum outer-space that can take an entire cartredge of bullets to the bollocks and keep on truckin'.

....And a giant robot chicken that may or may not be being not not worked on later or before this moment that you may or may not be reading this. :o

EDIT: Wait, his cat is magical? O.o???

Unless it is part of the 0.01% that you werent talking aboot. (Im canadian)

Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:53 am

I guess I'm the only one who liked the movie. :???: Then again I watched it when I was like 7. I don't remember anything but saying "Cool!" to a bunch of Bug vs. soldier fights. I guess I'd better watch it sometime again.

Back on topic, The other two guns look awesome! If you need any help with anything just ask. I can't promise anything though. I'm a basic coder, and My actor sprites are okay, while any gun sprites I attempt at making suck. :P

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:18 am

http://www.starshiptroopers.net/SniperRifle3.jpg

God this is a sexy gun. I'm tempted to give it a shot myself. I actually modeled my rifles off of this in the past. Not recently though.

Edit: I'm doing research, which is step two in the modding process. (step one is "I think I might be interested) Here's a handy article:
http://www.starshiptroopers.net/MoritaTEXT.html

The article references some weapons they used to actually make some of the main Moritas. Here's some articles on them:
Ruger AC556: http://world.guns.ru/assault/as37-e.htm
Ithaca Stakeout Shotgun: http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarm ... rms_id=107

The main thing to take away from this is that the rifles are 5.56mm and the shotguns are 12-gauge. This means that the rifle isn't particularly powerful, and the shotgun is pretty standard. So don't go crazy with their damaging power.

As for magazine capacity, I'd go for the standard 30 rounds on the rifle magazine, then maybe 4-6 rounds on the shotgun.

Of course, I'm talking like you'd be able to put a rifle and a shotgun into one weapon, which you can't. Just focus on the rifle, I guess.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:43 pm
Profile YIM

OMG if you actually pull off a successful starship troopers mod with many waves of fully implemented bugs I will saw off my hands and legs and give them to you as an offering.
this gave me an idea :!:
haw about a starship trooper mission where you have to occupy a base the hold the line against waves of bugs and after you finish killing a wave you will be given time to repair your base and order in troops and supplies. Kind of like Gears of Wars 2 horde mode.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:27 pm

All good ideas. Thank you all. And assuming I ever manage the mission, or the bugs, I request that you keep your limbs.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Great. 2 days into the idea and I already need help. Oh well.

Basically, I'm having a problem with the offsets of the weapon - I can't get any of the vectors where i want them despite numerous attempts, even scrapping all the vectors, resizing the gun and swearing for half an hour. The gun also refuses to mirror, when aimed to the left the sprite is replaced with a load of bars in orange and grey. I'm attaching the malfuntioning folder now, complete with all the code I've managed to develop so far. If anyone could take a look and tell me whats wrong with this (not fix it - I need to learn what's going wrong) over PM or in this post then I would be exceedingly grateful. In the meanwhile I'll attempt to code the carbine and sniper, and finish drawing the nuke launcher.

Many Thanks

EDIT - Found the problems with the vectors - I was mixing X and Y up in the sprite offset . However, i still can't work out whats messing up the sprite. help still appreciated.

Last edited by Ulac on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:28 pm

Nice idea for a mod! Fits in quite a bit with CC's story, and you can never have enough power armor..

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Shape's fine but lacks shading. Check out the vanilla sprites and just copy the techniques they use.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next