View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 WizCorp Public Beta! (v0.04b3 03:33 4/19/09 GMT) 
happy carebear mom

Post WizCorp Public Beta! (v0.04b3 03:33 4/19/09 GMT)

Most recent update
v0.04b3: Lesser occurrence of fire or smoke sprites sticking into the terrain, better effects and damage on all fire spells.
Quick grab download:
Mediafire
OR
Attachment:
WizCorp.rte v0.04b3.rar [740.52 KiB]
Downloaded 4079 times

Welcome, commander.
You have come here for magical aid, yes? I assure you, we at WizCorp provide only the best in magical arms.
Consider our line of acolytes and mages. We are very proud of our gifted children. All are trained in general levitation techniques, something so simple yet unavailable anywhere else.
One of our Pyromages exhibiting levitation

A lineup of our different mages, organized by elemental affiliation. Neutral, Fire, and Ice/Nature.

The acolytes are initiates to the arts, so they do not include any further training. You must order weaponry or our patented "Spell and Speak"(tm) spellbooks.
Each spellbook allows the wielder to control potent magics without any prior knowledge of magic at all! Simply have your body pick one up and you will be spellcasting in seconds!
A small gallery of our available spells in pictograph form.

Our Spell and Speak(tm) spellbooks.

Our mages, in contrast to the acolytes, are trained further and can control one exclusive spell each. For our Pyromages, this extra spell is Firespray(c), a souped-up version of Fireball with six times the power. For our Cryomage, the extra spell is Ice Spear(c), which hurls a great shaft of ice at your foes.
The last of our products, the Teleportation Glyph, also requires no prior magical experience. Simply order your trooper and our trained teleportation technicians will take care of the rest. Please note that due to, ahem, industrial accidents, our technicians no longer offer teleportation routes to any other level than the surface of Planet.
A demonstration of a Teleportation Glyph safely landing a Pyromage

We hope you find our products useful, and we look forward to supplying you and your enemies in the future.

Please note that WizCorp is not responsible for lacerations, freezer burns, regular burns, class 3 burns, impact damage to property, excommunication from the NeoCatholic Church, or any devil worship that may result as a consequence of use of our products. WizCorp is a privately owned and operated company.

Special thanks to Gotcha! for sprites and spell ideas, Koreteko for a few sprites, Zalo and Shook for snippets of code (perfect orientation emitters and recoil control emitters), and numgun for modding advice.
Code mostly developed by Duh102, with exceptions above.

[NOTE]
I've tested this extensively and found that prolonged use of this mod slows down the game, even without anything going on. I have a sneaking suspicion this is due to orphaned emitters that do not die when their lifetime is done, but I can't be sure.
[/NOTE]
I recommend playing without the activities enabled if your computer is not up to scratch, but you're certainly able to try it if you feel adventurous.

Download:
Mediafire
OR
Attachment:
WizCorp.rte v0.04b3.rar [740.52 KiB]
Downloaded 4079 times

And for the remainder of my post, here are a smattering of gifs for different spells. Note that the graphical appearance may have changed (some spells went through a few different iterations).
Wheel of Fire - Rolling wheel of flaming pain
Fireball - Just a simple fireball
Flame Vortex - Stationary version of Wheel of Fire
Demo of Gust and Lightning - Two shots of Gust with a Lightning finale
Sticky Fire - Napamy area denial goodness
Armageddon, the Fire elemental Superweapon
Lightning Storm, the Nature/Ice elemental area weapon

Final note: This mod took me a good three months from start to public beta. It went through a good forty or forty five iterations before it got to be what it is today. I want to thank again numgun and Gotcha! for beta testing and advice. Couldn't have done it without you, guys!

Version recall:
v0.04b1: First public beta (57 downloads)

v0.04b2: Less lag, slightly reduced terrain damage of lightning bolt (uploaded because of the lag fix, still working on the lightning) (313 downloads)

v0.04b3: Lesser occurrence of fire or smoke sprites sticking into the terrain, better effects and damage on all fire spells.

Last edited by Duh102 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Post Re: WizCorp Public Beta! (v0.04b1 15:47 4/13/09 GMT)
Interesting, I think this will be rather good. Be right back for comments.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

i love projects like this. decent quality fun, with some proper work put in, and nicely presented. ill comment when i've tested, i wont have access to my computer after tonight so it should be a nice fanale to the night.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:08 pm
Profile WWW

looks great, can't think of anything wrong for now...
... I guess I should try it...

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:11 pm

It's really good.
Really good.
My only possible complaint is that the Lightning Storm and Armegaddon spells don't lob far enough but that's minor.
The eyes are awesome.
It's really really good.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:16 pm
Profile WWW

Makes my cc crash, wierd.

EDIT/ oops, it's not this mod, what is it then?
EDIT2/ what the heck does StickM in the base.rte settings.ini mean?

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Post Critique.
a few complaints first, then positive things.
  • gibs! where are they? your mages would make me a lot happier on the aesthetic side if they had unique gibs, rather than coalition ones.
  • the lightning rapes the map a tad too hard, sharpness down maybe?
  • the fire effects are a tad lazy, you need to use more effects to achieve essentially the same thing - firey stuff that hurts you. i'd just like it to look prettier.
  • the lightning effects were a tad choppy at times, not meeting the cloud and soforth. i assume this will be ironed out though
  • laaaaaaaaaaaag. something must not be vanishing properly, really. turn some gibimpulselimits down maybe, so they at least die when they hit the ground? i dont know, but something needs to be done. i hate 1800 odd stray particles on the map after about 10 minutes of skirmishing
  • the reloads seemed a tad high on some weapons, and a tad low on others. more ironing to do
and thats it really, heres what i liked and loved:
  • all the ice and wind stuff! gust felt pretty good to use, that ice spear was amazing, and all the icicle weapons were awesome, with just the right amount of rape.
  • the sprites on the spellbooks, especially the logos, were very cool. the insignia that came up from the spells were also pretty cool, though maybe some animation?
  • the mages felt nimble in the air, and when landing felt nice and grounded. the effects coming from their faces and hands were also a nice touch, especially the timing on the emitters. nice effect on the levitation too.
  • the fireballs were pretty cool, and very effective. more than one effect used, woo :D
  • the clouds for the stormy stuff were nice. work on the placing a little though, and maybe use more clouds? it would also be pretty sweet if they shifted a bit, but i cant think of a way of doing that without more of them appearing and requiring animation (which would be asking way too much, an excessive amount of spriting)
  • the tele-glyph. it was handy, quick, and pretty.
  • the sounds! yay for unique audio!
  • the fun i had.
hope to see more of this from you, nice to know those dangerous falling trapeziums were used for something this cool. i wonder if you'll use all those sprites in the folder though.. death spellbook? :)

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:03 pm
Profile WWW

From what I can see, the Meteor has no real "BANG" it just fluffily gibs into some more fluffy rocks. That are on fire.
Use MOPixel Particles.

The lightening storm looks awesome.

All the effects are cool. This pack is cool.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:14 pm
Profile WWW

Ah. The ♥♥♥♥ space wizards are here.

I'll edit in something useful when I've played them.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 pm

Maybe you could add a shield spell (so that when I get cought in my own area attack I can survive)

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:16 pm
happy carebear mom

@Geti:
You are quite welcome, and I'll take note of all that for the next release. I'm a little burned out on this right now, but I want to come back and fix up things (yes, the fire effects are lazy, especially Sticky Fire, the initial burst). Also, add some more Ice/Nature spells because they're lacking.
Lua might help immensely, especially if we can attach things to actors (or keep them over them, whichever), then I could make something like a pestilence cloud for Death. However, that assumes that I can figure it out well enough to do it.

@nnninja:
Check the shields tab. There's a spell called Frozen Wall in there. Not perfect, but it's the best I can do right now. Maybe later I'll make a circular shield.

@Zalo:
Thanks for the input, and the compliment. Again, something to fix when I cool down for a bit.

@411570N3:
I suppose that means you should run, eh? :D
Thanks for the compliment.

@3 Solid:
Yup. I suppose you could rename all the mages to be "♥♥♥♥ space fire wizard"

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:24 pm

I can see this being a lovely addition in my fights against Numgun's zombies.

Will absolutly download and test.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:27 pm

Awesome! This is an idea I had a while back (a faction of magic-users). This looks pretty much exactly as I envisioned it. Thanks for giving me one less thing to worry about working on in the future. Also, good job at making really cool-looking lightning bolts.

I'll test it eventually, but right now I don't have CC around.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Profile YIM

Wow! Just downloaded the pack and this is awesome. I have to agree with Geti on a few things (especially the reload times) but damn! this is a great pack. Good job :3

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:50 pm
Banned

Orglar = seconded. The lighting storm is my idea of epic. I stood in the middle of two lightning storms as an ice mage and I was like MUWUHAHAHAHAAAAAAA I IS TEH EPIC THUNDAHZ.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next